OT: Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 07:32 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

all the talk about weight is somewhat of a moot point...after all the AMG GT-R is faster around the ring vs the GT3RS and it weighs more...

The GT will have active aero and sophisticated underbody aero tricks as well.

either way, for those that missed out and want the V8 version, lighter weight car and no waiting list...

http://www.mclarenscottsdale.com/use...277aa63a1c.htm
Old 01-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Quoted the above to return to that discussion.

675 LT is cheaper, lighter, more powerful, etc.

The specs for the Multimatic Kit Car GT are pretty disappointing IMO; so much for their grandiose claims.

Remember this?

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook...-gt-supercar#5
David: just curious why are you referring to it as the multi Matimatic kit car?
Old 01-25-2017, 09:03 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Quoted the above to return to that discussion.

675 LT is cheaper, lighter, more powerful, etc.

The specs for the Multimatic Kit Car GT are pretty disappointing IMO; so much for their grandiose claims.

Remember this?

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook...-gt-supercar#5
^^^^
Previous generation GT seems like a better buy.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
David: just curious why are you referring to it as the multi Matimatic kit car?
Because Ford execs sat around and thought:

Hmm we have the 50th anniversary of the Le Mans win in 1966 coming up, we need to capitalize on a great marketing opportunity; it's been awhile since the last Ford GT

Let's take a look at the GTLM rule book and design a race car that will have a big advantage over the field of actual street cars and then build a few production units so we can race it

Oh **** we don't actually have many employees who are capable of designing and building such a car since we haven't built anything like this in a decade - let's contract it out to someone. How about Multimatic in Canada?

Let's announce that we're going to race in 2016 even though we won't be able to deliver any meaningful number of cars in 2016 - the 50th anniversary is too good to pass up

The FIA, ACO, and IMSA will look the other way because it'll invite lots of press coverage

Let's sandbag in a farcical fashion up until Le Mans qualifying; the ACO and the media will certainly enjoy a "Ford vs. Ferrari" redux battle, right? Notwithstanding that the original battle was in contention for overall victory, something Ford could not contemplate in the modern era because they lack the resources, personnel, expertise, etc. to produce an LMP1 hybrid. Ferrari hasn't triumphed overall at Le Mans since Porsche arrived in the top class, and - but for the Schumacher era - they have been largely an F1 afterthought throughout my entire lifetime (!); I'm 27 years old!

Let's also not sell customer race cars to anyone; unlike our competition from Porsche, Aston Martin, Ferrari, Corvette, and Aston Martin; in direct contravention of the GTE Pro/Am rules

Let's also boast about this car at the Detroit show unveil in 2015 and then under deliver vs. the street cars against which it will be competing throughout its now 4 year product lifespan
Old 01-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like you wanted to get that off your chest. Lol

Are you of the opinion then that the Gen II is a more true Ford GT?
Old 01-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Waxer
Sounds like you wanted to get that off your chest. Lol

Are you of the opinion then that the Gen II is a more true Ford GT?
Not a problem with it at all. I like the car.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:06 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stgrt
Plenty of companies outsource design and engineering on their cars. The Corvette R race cars are made by Pratt & Miller, Porsche did not design the WSC-95, Ricardo designed the new twin turbo V8 McLaren engine used in its new road cars, Tenneco designed the suspension used in new McLaren road cars, Lotus designed Porsche's VarioCam Plus variable valve timing system, Andial built the 3.2 liter engine used in the 962, Ricardo opened an office in Weissach specifically intended to improve their ability to work with Porsche, Pininfarina has designed nearly every Ferrari road car, a number of other companies (Zagato, Bertone, Ghia, Italdesign, Lola, Dome, etc.) have designed and engineered a large amount of cars as well. In a lot of cases it makes sense to out source these tasks from a financial standpoint.

Also, I would think Ford has the financial ability to compete in LMP1 if they really wanted to given that much smaller companies like Oreca and Pescarolo Sport have designed LMP1 cars in the past. Their decision to build a car for a different class probably has more to do with marketing.
Of course companies outsource elements. Multimatic is building the car for Ford!
Old 01-25-2017, 11:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

As of last week (Wed. Jan. 18th.) I saw the engines being reworked and dyno'd and tuned. Something about changing piston material due to detonation, etc. I am willing to bet that the power levels will vary from what has been published.

Ford brass has also caught a lot of heat for spending too much on GT cars and falling behind on the NASCAR program which has gone to hell...

And let me just add that Ford is not making money with these cars...
Old 01-25-2017, 11:23 PM
Stgrt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted.

Last edited by Stgrt; 04-17-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 PM
stuntman
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Multimatic owns Lola and half of the LeMans Grid (LMP1 included) run their DSSV dampers -as does some F1 teams. Oh and they also make the Aston Martin One-77 & Vulcan "kit cars".

Old 01-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

What David was saying was that Ford built a race car (farsicaly homolgated) to compete against production cars modified to race. Not cricket. The Gen II would've been the more appropriate car to race and have homologated.

Ironically the Gen II did compete in Lemans and was leading in class for eight hours and likely would've won in class except for an accident with an LMP car. I'm convinced that had Ford had the ***** to back the car and put in a factory team effort the Gen II would have in fact been a winner at LeMans. The Gen II in fact had a very successful race career with Matech in the FIA in Europe.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I came close to buying a 2005 Ford GT years ago but the new GT was never a consideration due to the price and the buying process. That being said, the GT40 is my favorite car of all time and I'm having a replica built that I hope to have completed sometime in 2018.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:47 PM
fsts2k
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I came close to buying a 2005 Ford GT years ago but the new GT was never a consideration due to the price and the buying process. That being said, the GT40 is my favorite car of all time and I'm having a replica built that I hope to have completed sometime in 2018.
What replica? I used to have a Superformance GT40... ton of fun
Old 01-27-2017, 01:51 PM
fsts2k
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Multimatic is building the car for Ford!
Which also makes sense... Ford is in the business of building lots of cars, not necessarily in the business of being a boutique car builder; the GT is a boutique car. It makes sense to employ a shop that is better at building a low number of cars rather than trying to build a new facility, employee different workers, take managers away from the large factories, etc.

Instead they can outsource the build and hold them to SLAs for delivery. In instances when you do things multiple steps away from your core business I think outsourcing is a great idea. Please note, I believe building the GTs are many steps away from building Explorers, Fusions, and even Mustangs.

Kevin

Quick Reply: OT: Ford GT