Sponsored by:

Scuderia help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:54 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

This is you driving your SCUD at Spa.

No amount of GMG bypass can sound like that. And that is stock exhaust.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:03 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I would recommend keeping your gt3. I've been lucky to spend a lot of time in Scuds back to back against my 4.0.
The Ferrari is amazing. Breaths race from gearshift to alcantara and stance. But, I have to say. It feels like it will brake the rear axle every time you change gear at redline. And it's impossible to drive it slow and gentle. So maintaining will be expensive.
I don't know your financial situation. If it doesn't affect your life at all financially? Go for it. If it's a push financially I would vote against it.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 AM
ablee2323
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion. I am grateful for this forum to read/share perspectives on cars and along with that, the sweet anguish that accompanies this affliction with fellow enthusiasts. GT3 vs Scuderia - a tough one because there is no right or wrong answer as the answer is subject to change

I have never owned a Scuderia, but a short test drive still haunts me and taunts me. The sound, the feel. Gyat damn - makes me swear. It is quite a car and for the road, I cannot think of any other car that will match its brilliance. It is a Ferrari - as trite as that is, there is magic in the brand. But is it too much of a good thing, too intense, too much? Hardly a criticism.

The 991 GT3 is the eight wonder of the world. I'm constantly reminded how great it is - the lines are IMHO perfect and along with that it's usability and thrillability makes for the ultimate driving machine. And that motor - that last and best NA ever. No offense to other owners, but based on my driving skills (track 3x year), it makes me a better driver. I love driving it - 20k km on 16 mos of owernship.

But I agree with Archimedes, the decision to do it shouldn't be for financial reasons or $ per mile analysis. Logic (dollars and cents) rarely proves to be the right reason to buy a high performance car. And whichever car it is, drive it and enjoy it. For me, the only answer is both. I know not helpful, but that is the truth.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:18 AM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as value holding up on the scud and 430 line I would say you are very safe. I had mine for about 3 years and I sold it for what I paid, I did however do a lot of mods to the car. Either way the scud will hold its value better than the 991 gt3, simple supply and demand Also, the scud is the last true F car, IMO. The 458 is a amazing (high tech car, lots of drivers assistance ,dual clutch ect..)so not even close to the rawness of the scud.

Last edited by BK77; 01-19-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:34 AM
911_RS
Racer

I think I can somewhat relate in this topic... I have a scud and a 991rs. Both nice cars, many people asking me what's better or what will I pick over the two... Hard question! That's why I have them both right?Honestly I got the scud for a good reason, it's a very special Ferrari! It's raw, good power (even better power than my RS, had it tuned and full exhaust without any muffler), good driving feel, looks and sounds amazing! Like those NA F1 cars... M. Schumacher even helped them develop the scud, you just can't get that anymore. Makes me smile every time I drive it around. Porsches have different characteristics than Ferraris, not in a bad way... Just not the same. Both brands are "a must have" in any dream garage, just try the scud for awhile and you'll get what I'm saying. The value is just the gravy, enjoy it!

Anyway if you got tired of the scud you can just get a 991rs or the mk2 gt3 next year?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:40 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

How many miles do you put on your GT3 per year currently? Regarding your plan, 750 miles is very little unless you have several other cars or simply enjoy having a garage queen to wax with carnuba. Don't know about your access to nice roads in Hawaii but in my area, I put 100 miles on my Porsche just to go for a decent spirited drive. If I was limited to 750 miles on a second car, I would not enjoy the car because I would be picking and choosing when I drove it too much. On a third car, it's doable but perhaps the same issue if you have a lot of spare time.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck with this. The scud is significantly different from a "standard" 430, so using the 430 as any type of benchmark is a mistake. This is why the scud is valued at 2x the price.
Ferrari is awesome. However, paying the Fcar tax becomes boring quick. Also, I tended to feel a bit uncomfortable being seen in it after a while. I can't explain that but having an Fcar made me feel the opposite of why I bought it. My GT3 doesn't make me feel that way.

Owning a Ferrari is surely something you should do if you can. It may appreciate, but if the market continues to slide, there is a lot of downside.

Be honest with yourself. If you want it, buy it. Future value? Anyone's guess.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:04 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can afford it, get the scud.....way more fun on the street than a Porsche. If you are a tracker, keep the GT3.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:08 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

I think you will be happy with either. The scud feels more like a little go-cart, and the gt3 feels more refined like a GT car. Depends what you're craving.

I don't think 249 is a great investment price. I see decent downside there - trust me - I sold my 8,000 mile scud in the heart of the financial crisis for a lot less.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:57 AM
monkiboy48
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

During my first year of GT3 ownership I have put on 6200 miles although the first year doesn't really count as I drove a lot to get to the break in period of 2K and then had my fun playing with the rev limiter. My average mileage after the initial mileage climb is around 3K a year.

A fun drive in Hawaii for me ranges from 25-60 miles round trip from my house. If I am just driving to keep the battery and fluids running, it would be around 10-15 miles round trip.

The final price is really a moot point as my dealer plays the numbers game with increasing the value of my GT3 and the lack of taxes with it being a used car to garner a lasting relationship with future exotics. Keep in mind that there is only one official exotic car dealership in hawaii and they keep good relationships with their clients.

The one sticking point that my salesman keeps reminding me is that the scuderia is a special car.

I know what you mean when you mention the Ferrari tax. The Ferrari screams look at me (playboy). The GT3 is very special for people in the know. Anyone can walk in the dealership and purchase a "normal" 911 or 458. There is something special about Porsche and Ferrari's special models. Similar to watches, but I don't want to get off topic. Anyone can buy a normal Rolex or Panerai, it takes the connoisseur who is passionate about certain things to put their name on the waiting list to get a special or limited edition.

Last edited by monkiboy48; 01-19-2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally if I was in the same situation where I would be driving the GT3 5-6K miles/yr vs having a Scud sitting in the garage with 750miles/yr I would stay with GT3. What's the purpose of Scud sitting in the garage?
Old 01-19-2016, 03:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

i dont agree with scud hoidling value
if you dont drive, scud dep less than gt3, yes
if u drive, GT3 holds value batter. try to sell a 35000 GT3, no prob. u cannot give away a 35000 mile scud to the salvation army.

if u dont drive, then no need to buy car.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:13 AM
monkiboy48
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I talked to my salesman again mentioning my worry of warranty and they threw in a year of warranty since I won't be driving it much and they just performed a full service on the car. I have some thinking to do.

All of your comments will definitely help me make the best informed decision!
Old 01-19-2016, 03:28 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Hi monkiboy, here is my honest opinion

The scuderia is truly one of the better ferraris, feels raw like you want it, and is alot of fun to drive. Its is however and 8 or 9 year old car, so compared to a GT3, you will see a big difference in technology. I would personally trade my GT3 for a Speciale but not for a scuderia.
also I would never trade if I was only planning on driving the scud for 750 miles a year. thats just 60 miles a month.. life is too short to buy a car for just 750 miles a year and that doesnt make sense for me.
Sell your Gt3 since you are obviously fed up with it and get smthg that makes u happy that u can drive hard everyday without the worry for depreciation.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:40 AM
Plastique999
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a No brainer to me - Scud without a doubt. GT3's are everywhere and commonplace where I live in SoCal. You only live once. If you want something special that is an exhilarating event every time....then sit in the race seat, with carbon fiber dripping everywhere....start up the naturally aspirated V8, click the Manettino to Race mode, and take off in the fastest SCT in a production car of its time with the bang of the 60 ms shifts. Tell me you won't be grinning from ear to ear.

I have 17k miles on my 16M, and I daresay the car has been bulletproof. Annuals are around $1k. These cars are meant to be driven! I pay around $1500/yr for insurance - clean record and quite a few cars with State Farm.

A couple years ago, your black Scud was selling around $160k. $249k for it now shows how much they have appreciated. CS's a year ago were $150k and now they are ranging up to $250k. Will they appreciate in the long haul? Of course! Look at all the limited edition Ferraris. Sure they will ebb and flow, recessions will soften the values somewhat, but as a long hold car, they will definitely appreciate. I will be keeping my 16M for the long haul. It is that good and has a place in Ferrari history - last and fastest SCT, NA V8 Ferrari will ever make. Own a piece of history.

Quick Reply: Scuderia help