Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 12C drive vs my 2014 Porsche GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:10 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

During my test drive of the 2012 McLaren 12c, I did not feel it lacked soul.
It had it's own vibe, one that is just as valid but different than the GT3.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:05 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truly appreciate all the feedback from all the owners of both of these cars. I have more or less made up my mind that I will get a McLaren 12C/650S but I just need to arrange a test drive to confirm my choice. Unfortunately for me there are only 2 dealerships (owned by the same group; so in essence 1 dealership) in all of Canada and the closest one to me is over 600 miles away. Will need to do a road trip this summer to check them out.

The McLaren will be an addition and not a substitution for my GT3. There simply is No Substitute !!

Old 03-27-2016, 01:30 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

916bob: Great write up with some track perspective included. I was only able to drive the 12C on the street.

On the track, how smooth is the throttle response in the 650S near the wide open throttle point? Do you get a surge of power that is difficult to control when accelerating out of a corner?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Great write-ups by all the owners of the respective cars.

For me, personally, the McLaren is a non-starter until they beef increase the number of dealerships.
I agree, great write ups!
I am fortunate to have, largest Mclaren dealership in the country, in my backyard.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12C steel brakes can be done WAY cheaper than GT3. I did steel and sent to my outfit of choice (not the expensive companies that frequent this forum) my stock rotors and can have friction rings made for under $300 a corner. I spec'd slightly heavier rear rings for longevity purposes. And I find tire life similar between the cars. Mine are both shod with Trofeo R at present.

The "soul" comments are silly. Drive what speaks to you personally but subjective derogation of either car reeks of fanboyism (if that is a word).
Old 03-27-2016, 03:28 PM
GONFST
Rennlist Member

Fanboyism towards the GT3? I am appalled!

Rennlist members need to tighten up their biased opinions towards Porsches.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Originally Posted by TXLAVA
Fanboyism towards the GT3? I am appalled!

Rennlist members need to tighten up their biased opinions towards Porsches.
Darn tootin!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 AM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by john weires
916bob: Great write up with some track perspective included. I was only able to drive the 12C on the street.

On the track, how smooth is the throttle response in the 650S near the wide open throttle point? Do you get a surge of power that is difficult to control when accelerating out of a corner?
On track, you're always well into the meat of its power band... where it pulls like a freight train on steroids. There is no surge, as in coming on the turbos. It's surprisingly composed considering the way it launches you out of corners.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,988 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by 916Bob
On track, you're always well into the meat of its power band... where it pulls like a freight train on steroids. There is no surge, as in coming on the turbos. It's surprisingly composed considering the way it launches you out of corners.
+1 it really revs to 8k+ RPM so it can be driven consistently in the powerband
Old 03-31-2016, 01:32 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

closest dealer 600 miles away from you?

you guys are spoiled! My 650S is arriving next month, and my closest dealer is over 800 miles away. and... did i mention that's across the ocean in another country?!?!

some people have said i'm absolutely insane for getting a car with NO WARRANTY and with NO DEALER SUPPORT in this country. and they're probably right.

a good buddy has techs flown in from overseas with all their gear, for regular service. heaven forbid that something more serious happens, and luckily that hasn't happened yet.

i'm pairing the 650S with my 997.1 GT3 as my "perfect pair". i needed to scratch the mid-engined exotic itch, and thought long and hard about the alternatives-- Huracan, 458, new R8. those are all more "rational" choices, given the presence of dealers locally.

But something about the breadth of the Mclaren's abilities and attributes: incredible performance, everyday comfort, unique technology (carbon tub) and drama (doors) for the price point, just appealed to me. and to be perfectly honest, the fact that most non-gearheads won't even know what it is, and it's function-over-form emphasis, relative to the Italians anyway, sealed it.

so my very analog GT3 is for those times when i want to feel really part of the action, want to sweat a bit, and maybe step out of the car as if i'd actually done some work. the Mclaren will be, well, the opposite-- a staggeringly competent and comfortable and stylish machine, which also represents a significant reward to myself after not having acquired any new toys over the past decade.

and as luck would have it, in the intervening months since i decided to roll the dice with the car, and while it sits in a container in a Chinese port waiting for the final leg of it's journey to me, i've just learned that final negotiations are happening between Mclaren and several candidates for local dealers. So by this time next year, there's a very high likelihood that there'll be a dealer in my backyard... and owned by a very good friend at that!

(Now if only the car will effing arrive already!)

Quick Reply: First 12C drive vs my 2014 Porsche GT3