Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Futura Tandem Axle trailer - anyone used it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 12:52 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Ha with a bungy cord and clip into the lower rail. No hurry here until I finalize every detail. I thought I had it nailed but a wench strap interfered. I also went to Mac's tiedown straps to make it easier and faster to secure the car. .
Gotcha. You'll love it. I tow my clubsport on the Futura with my Cayenne. The only negative is with how the slope on the rear of the cayenne Coupe, I had to pull off the Rock Guard because it really sucked the fuel economy down by 2-3 mpg.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:53 AM
achenator
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

I feel like at about 3000 miles mine needs some service. It's kept indoors all the time butt I feel like the hubs and lift mechanism should be greased? Anybody do any of this?
Old 04-02-2021, 12:55 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Futura trailer with CD as TV. Maiden trip from Miami to Birmingham with no issues.

Park the GT3 on trailer. Load on/off with trailer not hooked to Cayenne without a problem

Old 04-02-2021, 04:11 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Sancho22
any more experience recent or longer term?
I am thinking about Future or Trailex for my GT4.
Towing with a base Cayenne so no enclosed this time (I used to have one and I know how great it is).

Thanks!
Trailered my GT3RS with a Trailex 8840 for 2 yr, with a base 2016 Cayenne.

Very stable, but would be better with an S or a new base Cayenne with 340hp (I now have one)

Trailex is now sold, frankly the lowering models (Futura) look like much less work, I would go with one of them next time, the ramps on the Trailex can be a pain...

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
1DarkChaos (04-07-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 07:12 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 39 Posts

Looking at the position of the 911's on these trailers when they are parked nose-in, I have a hard time imagining that the tongue weight is correct. Just knowing what it's like on my trailer and where the axles are compared to the trailer's axles, I just can't see it getting to 10-15% of the towed load.

Has anyone put a tongue weight measurement on one of these? The spare wheels and tires up front would help, but just seems like it would be off. If it tows fine, then awesome, but just eyeballing it, it seems like backing in would be necessary (might go over the Cayenne's tongue weight recco though?) to get there. Perhaps it's short enough to work out...

If I bought another open trailer, it would be one of these.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:27 PM
achenator
Racer

Originally Posted by Iridium
Looking at the position of the 911's on these trailers when they are parked nose-in, I have a hard time imagining that the tongue weight is correct. Just knowing what it's like on my trailer and where the axles are compared to the trailer's axles, I just can't see it getting to 10-15% of the towed load.

Has anyone put a tongue weight measurement on one of these? The spare wheels and tires up front would help, but just seems like it would be off. If it tows fine, then awesome, but just eyeballing it, it seems like backing in would be necessary (might go over the Cayenne's tongue weight recco though?) to get there. Perhaps it's short enough to work out...

I have not put a tongue weight scale on it but mine tows just fine. I have towed my 3RS with my Raptor about 2000 miles. Only issue I have is when trying to pass an 18 wheeler above 75. (which I try not to do) I feel If I flip the car around rear of the truck will sag (raptors have soft shocks) and it will be worse.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:01 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My friend had one and when parked nose front, it had nearly 0 tongue weight. In the short term he backed the car on the trailer to get the tongue weight but he eventually put on a tire rack with fuel jugs up front. That seemed to cure his problem.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:31 PM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Tonque sucks on the Futuras, but never been a issue. Normally see around 200-300 with my Clubsport GT4. And its towed like a dream up to 80 with no issues.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:34 PM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

you are correct. My futura trailer does not have the tire rack or rock guard. Trailer + car is roughly 4500 lb. I have around 300-350 lb of tongue weight with the GT3 tank full. Since I dont have a rock guard, when initially playing with the car position, I would reach 400 lb by driving the car a little beyond the edge. It felt it was creating a “V” between the trailer and the cayenne. I spoke with a technician from futura (they have great customer service) and he assured me the less than 10% tongue weight was ok and what really mattered was that the trailer was not at an angle with the towing vehicle. I have been towing pretty frequently and have not had any issues at all. Very stable at highway speed, switching lanes, unexpected braking, and so on.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:08 AM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a tongue scale and was amazed at what it took to get even "close" to the 10% rule. My GT3 has to be touching the rock guard and I had to add about 250 lbs. The ballast is split between the tongue box that contains the winch, etc. (best location) and the cars boot. Now I have had zero issues trailering with a 2016 Cayenne but who is to say what it would be like without the ballast? But, I have seen videos of cars with improper tongue balance oscillating especially if you have to make a quick maneuver.

As an aside, I am trying to install a Futura tire rack which I thought would be an easy exercise. But the holes do not line up... This is an older model - any suggestions? Hesitant to drill my own holes as this is all Futura equipment so it should work and I am probably just missing something - not the first time for that.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:11 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using the tandem with my GT3.2 for a couple of years now without any issues. I have the rock guard, spare tire and recovery winch. I use a Cayenne Diesel. Gets about 18-19 mpg towing. I also use the BW trailer hitch which allows me to adjust height for the tongue. No issues driving at 75mph. I also put a Prodigy brake assist that helps with hard braking. Another recommendation is whenever the trailer is out of site, lower the deck. This makes it extremely hard to steal. I typically leave my car and trailer at the track. I had a friend who stored his trailer at a storage place, it was chained. Came to get it one day and the thieves cut the chain and locks. His deck was not down. Trailer is long gone!
The following 2 users liked this post by bruce987:
Apex Ace (04-07-2021), Ratchet1025 (07-04-2022)
Old 04-08-2021, 05:12 PM
achenator
Racer

Bruce, have you done any service to your trailer? Greasing mechanism or hubs?
Old 04-08-2021, 09:53 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

At this time no. I do 4 to 5 DE events a year. Not a lot of usage. I got the trailer to keep the mileage off the car. I had a 2015 GT3 that had 25k mileage on it when I traded it in, I got 125k on a 185k car. I was told it was because of the mileage. Current .2 car has 11k mileage after the same amount of driving.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:19 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

I put the nose of the car on the lower front rail and when the straps are tight it is 4" away, I then load the front luggage compartment with my tools, nitrogen bottle, fuel and other stuff which brings the tongue weight up to 500#. I tow with a Cayenne diesel and the trailer tows perfectly at any speed. When the tire rack arrives I will get the new tongue weight and pass it on.
The following users liked this post:
neoprufrok (04-10-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 02:44 PM
RaceDeck
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by n1gary1
I am currently selling my 2017 Futura Trailer, visit my youtube site Gary's Futura Trailer, for walk around. I'm asking $12,300. This is complete with winch,tire rack,spare tire,stone guard, low hitch. All new list is $12,750. Located an hour north of Denver. I'm able to deliver if needed.
Gary
your trailer still for sale?

All Rennlist Members Get Club Discounts on RACEDECK, the original USA made, multi-patented modular garage flooring system

Life Member Bonneville 200 Mph Club

22' GT3 Touring - Auratium Green / Graphite Blue interior ( CXX )
18' GT2 RS Weissach - Chalk
991.2 Carrera 4 S in Chalk
96 993 Turbo White/ red interior
73 - RS custom 3.6
24' GT4RS (on order)
94' 964 soon to be transformed

Quick Reply: Futura Tandem Axle trailer - anyone used it?