Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 02:53 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts
Default Theoretically- A waiting list

So- lets say there was a guy that happened to get a Porsche dealership.

how would you guys prefer that the waitlist is handled?

Should the dealer be #1 on his own list? His friends?

Preference to Local customers? or just whoever shows up with the money first?

Some of you know how hard I have been trying to get a Porsche dealership, and I have even sold a few of you guys your cars. I'd like to be everyone's favorite store but the waiting list by definition is playing favorites of my own.

At our McLaren store in AZ, we are basically trying to convert local owners as our top priority in order to recapture service. We are not playing ferrari games of "well if you buy this dog of a used car, then we'll LET you buy a new car"

it's a different thing on a smaller scale, but would love to hear your advice.
You know, so I can manifest my own destiny.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:17 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

This is capitalism

I'd say

Sell local at msrp if buyer prepays $$$ of maintenance at close

It accomplishes your goal of profits, gets guys cars and prohibits flip behavior (sitting on prepaid maintenance)

Doesn't help me any as I don't live in AZ but that's probably a fair deal for all involved
Old 07-29-2016, 03:17 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I think Richard at the new Chandler store has the right idea. (and he's a great guy who may be able to provide some insight on the process)
Local customers at MSRP are first.
Once the business is more established, repeat local customers should have some priority.

And something to think on - most of the custom knife makers I know don't carry a knife they made. They are in the business to make money, so they sell them all to others.

On the other hand, I think Roger Penske does skim one off the top from time to time.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:22 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I think Richard at the new Chandler store has the right idea. (and he's a great guy who may be able to provide some insight on the process)
Local customers at MSRP are first.
Once the business is more established, repeat local customers should have some priority.

And something to think on - most of the custom knife makers I know don't carry a knife they made. They are in the business to make money, so they sell them all to others.

On the other hand, I think Roger Penske does skim one off the top from time to time.
I would not be on my own list and recently yielded a 675LT spider slot for this same principle.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 AM
crs2pepper
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ultimately it's a business, but a lot of dealers have abandoned relationship to those who show up with the money first. especially when it comes to GT cars.

preferably local customers, more importantly, previous customers who your brand is trying to establish as lifetime customers

good luck with the quest, get this done already!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
This is capitalism

I'd say

Sell local at msrp if buyer prepays $$$ of maintenance at close

It accomplishes your goal of profits, gets guys cars and prohibits flip behavior (sitting on prepaid maintenance)

Doesn't help me any as I don't live in AZ but that's probably a fair deal for all involved
this is concerning all dealers in all states, some in california have obviously mistreated their customers to the point that I have to buy cars from Texas, Florida, PA, VA, AZ, etc
Old 07-29-2016, 03:24 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On the surface, preferring local makes sense, but I think it excludes a lot of business. Folks will buy from anywhere that will treat them right and will stay with them until they feel screwed over. Offer MSRP for repeat clients and honor the waiting list (no skipping ppl to the front). Local clients will be there if your service is great and you treat everyone fairly. Just my 2 cents.
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

People who are local to you.
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by crs2pepper
ultimately it's a business, but a lot of dealers have abandoned relationship to those who show up with the money first. especially when it comes to GT cars.

preferably local customers, more importantly, previous customers who your brand is trying to establish as lifetime customers

good luck with the quest, get this done already!
I have in the past 3 months sold about 10 GT3 and GT3RS cars to buyers. This is how I am aiming to establish a relationship
Old 07-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I like Park Place in Dallas. Their policy is first come, first served @ MSRP. They have a strong preference for local buyers, but will make the occasional exceptions for out-of-state buyers.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:26 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jpacione
On the surface, preferring local makes sense, but I think it excludes a lot of business. Folks will buy from anywhere that will treat them right and will stay with them until they feel screwed over. Offer MSRP for repeat clients and honor the waiting list (no skipping ppl to the front). Local clients will be there if your service is great and you treat everyone fairly. Just my 2 cents.
thanks I am fine selling cars to tourist customers- as long as we can count on each other. I'm a great customer for a few stores and my main goal is to keep appraised of what is happening locally and nationwide and communicate that with them.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:27 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,807 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Here's my thoughts...

Sell MSRP to locals because they are bound to refer customers and service their cars at the shop (service has higher margins). I would like that flippers of GT cars are semi black balled meaning they lose their place in line going forward. Also limit folks to only getting one GT allocation (I keep hearing about dealers giving more than one allocation only to that customer flipping the car). But friends and family get priority.

Most annoying thing is when I hear stealers trying to get over MSRP for the GT cars when they have a line of local loyal customers that would be very happy to buy at MSRP. Relationships are where the big money is made, not bleeding a customer dry for the last dollar. I have put relationships first in my real estate business by doing rebates and that has translated to more than 50% of my business being repeat and referral clients (those are my favorite clients too). Give up a little now to get a whole lot more later.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:30 AM
crs2pepper
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I have in the past 3 months sold about 10 GT3 and GT3RS cars to buyers. This is how I am aiming to establish a relationship
me being one of them

thx again for all the help with the RS - sourcing it, transporting it cross country, all while doing paperwork remotely so all I did was show up and pick up the car!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:34 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by crs2pepper
me being one of them

thx again for all the help with the RS - sourcing it, transporting it cross country, all while doing paperwork remotely so all I did was show up and pick up the car!
thanks chris! it's always fun to connect someone really looking for a car to the right fit.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:39 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
thanks I am fine selling cars to tourist customers- as long as we can count on each other. I'm a great customer for a few stores and my main goal is to keep appraised of what is happening locally and nationwide and communicate that with them.
100% agree with "as long as we can count on each other." To me, this is key, and I think folks have been burned on both sides. There is a lot of cynicism and skepticism. Nothing beats meeting the owner and showing him/her you are serious and establishing that two way understanding/trust. Customers that breach that trust get cut out, and dealers that do lose the ongoing business, and get bad word of mouth.

Quick Reply: Theoretically- A waiting list