Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what does your wife/girlfriend think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So what does your wife/girlfriend think?

As most, if not all of us on here, love the Porsche brand, that's a no brainer. Some of us have just entered the Pcar world, others have been in it for many years. I myself have been in it for about 17 years and love every minute of it. I discovered RL a few years ago and most here can see I spend too much time on it, but what the heck. I've learned so much and have met a lot of great people. Some here enjoy their cars tracking, others like me who don't track enjoy their cars just going for spirited rides. There's no doubt, some of you have your "better halves" into it also, but what do they think about all the time we spend, whether it's on RL or at the track or just even going to the local C & C's? Do they buy into it, are they a big part of it or do they just say, see you later honey, go have fun with the boys? My sweetheart of 35 years together thinks I'm somewhat crazy, but still just leaves me be.

My apologies to the young ladies here on RL about leaving them out regarding your husbands/boyfriends.

Last edited by bronson7; 02-09-2017 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Left out the young ladies, sorry.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:41 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Mine is happy that it makes me happy - "go have fun at the track". Doesn't interest her at all.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:54 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

I believe a key to a good relationship is space and accepting the others interests. If it makes them happy, then great.

She loves yoga and shopping, I love cars. She says the cars are autograph worthy lol
Old 02-09-2017, 01:08 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

My wife and I have been married for 26 years, and she is just really happy that I was able to finally buy myself a "new" car. I have literally bought cars over the years for everyone in our family, from my mom, to our son and daughter, the wife, etc. And every time I went to buy a car for myself, I bought something 3 or 4 years old. It became a running joke that I was the only member of our family who never owned a new car. A made up for it with this one BIG TIME! She goes with me everywhere and jokes that my GT3 is "the other woman."

I joke that SHE is the other woman.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My girlfriend thinks it's funny. She doesn't know what Rennlist is though: she calls it Spyders in the Wild!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:50 PM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Mine is happy that it makes me happy - "go have fun at the track". Doesn't interest her at all.
^^ This. I would like her to come along on rides, but....she gets motion sickness and with the roads I prefer to drive on it wouldn't work - for both of us
Old 02-09-2017, 01:59 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Same with mine C2Spin. My wife gets bad motion sickness, won't see action movies in the theater etc. I made the mistake of showing her launch control in my GTR once and she almost hurled.

She is really good at giving me space to do things I enjoy and one of those things is cars. She has no interest and that works out fine.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

My wife and I have been married 30+years. We began our marriage with a 911 in the garage, so she knows Porsches and PCA, Parades, track days, TSDs, tours, you name it. One thing I've noticed since we're both in our 70's, is she is not as comfortable going fast in the twisties of our Rocky Mountains. I understand, so I sometimes tour by myself if I know it will be challenging to her. I think most wives and girlfriends understand our Porsche passion. Like if it makes us happy and doesn't involve another woman, it's cool.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:04 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems I am in the minority with a wife who is interested in cars and driving. She is not that much into Porsche though. She did a track/race school, came out a few times to the track with her highly modified (by me) MX-5. She did not like the RS??!! Likes the 650s, although she had her moment in there and since she is more cautious / afraid with it. She is buying - completely independent from me - a Corvette GS convertible, comes in April. She liked the vette a lot and preferred it over the new Boxster by a big margin.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:44 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 49 Posts

My wife drives a Prius. Enough said...
Old 02-09-2017, 02:49 PM
OhioMark
Instructor

My wife drives a Caddy SRX and is lucky to break the speed limit, so she's what you call a "moving Chicane" on the road and has very little interest in our (my son's as well) racing activities as long as we come home at night.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Green & Silver
Advanced

My bride of 32 years has always been supportive of my car addiction. In fact, after I once looked at an '83 911 SC, she surprised me on my birthday with the car. Since the early 90s, I've had 15 911 variations and a Boxster in '97. Some I've driven and others are garage queens. I refuse to drive my '16 GT3 (and a few of the others) in inclement weather, so when we see anyone in a 911 she always quips, "Look, there's someone who can afford their Porsche..."
Old 02-09-2017, 03:00 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

My wife is the best. Married 20 years and knew from our dating days that cars and racing were a part of me so she is totally supportive of my addiction and digs it herself. She loves to go on drives - either in the passenger seat or playing follow the leader in one of the other Porsches.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:04 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Mine isn't interested in the track stuff. She actually went with me to the track to see what it was I did there and did go out for a few laps...kept it together for the most part and I did take it "easy". But she could care less to do it again. But since it makes me happy she's fine with it. She does think the car is beautiful.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:34 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mixed bag for me. Bought my first to celebrate 1st divorce so she was a non-fan. Then came a succession of cars that tried to keep pace with the women. 46 cars. The women liked the cars more than they did me. Thats probably what kept me hooked. When PCA became a daily experience the cars were not so popular with ladies anymore. Years pass and current GF was gifted a starter car. She subsequently bought her own red 968 Cab and later a yellow 986. She, a classy, educated, writer, artist, teacher, drives faster than me and requires that I maintain the luster on her paint. I told her she should have a flat black wrap.

Quick Reply: So what does your wife/girlfriend think?