Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I just read through this entire thread and like many others am absolutely floored by everything that's unfolded here, from the actual events surrounding the wrecking of the OP's car to the amazing sleuthing from the RL community to flesh out the details.

Ccapx, everything I thought to add to the conversation has already pretty much been covered so I'll just say that you've handled this publicly as well as it could possibly be handled although in private you must have gone through some pretty gut wrenching times. I know my stomach was in knots just reading the thread. I don't know if I could ever be completely happy with a car (especially one like your GT3RS) after something like this, but that's just me.

Absolutely the best of luck in getting everything resolved.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:27 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Another reason why I always tell anybody that I fixes my car, NO joy rides!
Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Another reason why I always tell anybody that I fixes my car, NO joy rides!
OP you are to be commended. You are a better man than I.

That said, I do start to wonder if I could get a couple of guys with tire irons to sit outside and babysit for less than my deductible the next time my toy goes in for service...
Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,237 Likes on 2,729 Posts

Originally Posted by Ccapx
RK-D AGREED! That offer was made and rejected. Insurance is a PIA and puts the onus on me to chase money vs. him to do what's right. So I agree with the above, he chose to punt the problem to insurance because of the out of pocket expense being to high which shifts the burden from him to me which is incredibly time consuming and costly. Lawyers, diminished value experts, etc. process etc. All you can do is stick to the process, have facts and good legal advice.
So let's get it straight.

He would be fine trashing your car and letting you spend time/money on filing this crazy claim while potentially losing $100k in diminished value, weeks to months of downtime, ruined new car experience and left with a car that may never drive the same? That would be a satisfactory outcome for him?

Yeah, screw that guy. If he can't make you whole at the outset he should not be touching these cars.

Just reading this stuff makes my blood boil. Everyone keeps saying it, but your methodical approach to this has been admirable. I feel for you - seriously. What a suck situation, but it sounds like you have a good plan and I have a feeling this thing is going to be totaled.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Alan....tire irons are easier...for sure. Rk-d that is where this falls apart for me. The burden shift to the aggrieved party is the hassle. War....I will not allow myself to lose. If that means we sue we sue but dear lord this guy could have really hurt someone including himself or the passenger.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

OP, is the guy even talking to you or is he using the insurance company as his mouth piece? Maybe he's spending time trying to figure out how to save the sinking ship he calls a business. At any rate... as most have said continue down the path you're on and you'll be made whole......best of luck.........Phil
Old 03-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Ccapx
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

No.. Nada.... and your right, all process.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Hulley
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Some people will never learn the lesson until it hurts them. BHR needs to suffer for this knowing this is not a first time occurrence.

It takes a lot of hard work to get to GT3 RS money, I'm close to GT3 money now and if this happened to me, I would be crushed. Sure, it's "just a car" but it's a reward for most of us.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

over time, an act becomes, Normalization of deviance......

“Social normalization of deviance means that people within the organization
become so much accustomed to a deviation that they don’t consider it as deviant,
despite the fact that they far exceed their own rules for the elementary safety”
—Diane Vaughan, 1996

https://sma.nasa.gov/docs/default-so...b.pdf?sfvrsn=4
Old 03-08-2017, 04:42 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulley
Some people will never learn the lesson until it hurts them. BHR needs to suffer for this knowing this is not a first time occurrence.

It takes a lot of hard work to get to GT3 RS money, I'm close to GT3 money now and if this happened to me, I would be crushed. Sure, it's "just a car" but it's a reward for most of us.
I agree entirely.

I just don't think he should necessarily lose his entire business, his livelihood and the livelihood of his employees over it.

And regarding all the "just stroke a cheque" commentary...maybe he can't just stroke a cheque for a quarter-million dollars and while you and I would have considered that before doing something this stupid, well, he didn't.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, what a nightmare! Keep on fighting Ccapx, sounds like you have the right people on your side. You can, and will win this war. It truly warms my heart to see the Rennlist community come together to help a fellow member in need. Best of luck to you, and pls continue keeping us posted.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
And regarding all the "just stroke a cheque" commentary...maybe he can't just stroke a cheque for a quarter-million dollars and while you and I would have considered that before doing something this stupid, well, he didn't.
I certainly don't know many indy's that have that kind of liquidity... can think of two or three, but beyond that...
Old 03-08-2017, 06:15 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree entirely.

I just don't think he should necessarily lose his entire business, his livelihood and the livelihood of his employees over it.

There is no reason for this individual to be in business. None.
There is no justification for driving a client's high performance vehicle in that manner, all on city streets within arms reach of the public/pedestrians... IIRC, Hours of joy riding... SMFH. Where is the sense!

As far as the cheque... No bleeding hearts please. That was his out. If he had any pride or even at the least remorse, he would have done whatever possible to make things right with the owner.. In person, face-face.. and if he doesn't have access to cash or a LOC, it would be another reason why he shouldn't be in business working on quarter million dollar cars.

No advocacy, devil be damned..
Old 03-08-2017, 06:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^^^^

+1

The local market and customers in Kansas City will decide his fate, not us. There are consequences to everything in life and business. From all reports the joy riding has been standard operating procedure here for a long time. Things catch up with you sooner or later. You can only ditch the bullet so long playing Russian Roulette.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:42 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

I agree entirely.

If his employees are "good" they'll find other work.

Frankly - if I worked at a place that did this, I would NEVER be comfortable taking a customer's car on a joy ride, and I would likely be uncomfortable working for someone who condoned it.

It's called DOING THE RIGHT THING, and if someone conducts themselves in this manner (disrespectful of other people's property), I'd be asking myself what else is he capable of disrespecting.

I would not want to work for someone like that. If I really needed the job and felt like I couldn't get other work - at the very least I would not participate in joy rides with client cars. I couldn't do it because it's wrong.

If he loses his livelihood, which is a fairly drastic outcome - it is by his own doing and the choices he made. And from the sound of it he's been getting away with it for a long time and it finally came back to bite him, unfortunately with the OP's car.

We all make mistakes, but this is a willful decision to do the wrong thing (repeatedly from all reports). Some people do the wrong thing their entire lives and get away with it - but that doesn't make it right. In this case, he was unlucky and particularly stupid, and IMO if he loses his business it is entirely on his shoulders and no one else.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS Wrecked while at Speed Shop