Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what does this mean for 991.1 RS??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I am so sick of all this how many what are they worth crap. I bought a 997.2 RS for more than some and less than others just recently. Not because i thought it would be worth a fortune some day but because I had that itch to scratch. If I was worried about the money I would have 4 less cars in my garage and would retire and just go ride my bike.

I like my toys and driving them. When I am propped up in a corner drooling some day I won't be remembering how much money I made or lost on them. I'll be thinking about driving the Tail of the Dragon with a line of screaming GT3's. Hitting the wall in an RS at a track in Minnesota. Sphincter tightening going thru the kink at Road America in same RS. Backroads drives with friends and family. Hours spent at tracks driving and watching etc, etc, etc.

I feel very fortunate being able to afford/drive Porsche's but also have many fun memories in other cars. It does not matter what car you want/have. Go out and drive the darn thing or you are missing the point. Most people don't take it with them.

Rant over.

YMMV
Old 03-15-2017, 01:19 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tasman
I am so sick of all this how many what are they worth crap. I bought a 997.2 RS for more than some and less than others just recently. Not because i thought it would be worth a fortune some day but because I had that itch to scratch. If I was worried about the money I would have 4 less cars in my garage and would retire and just go ride my bike.

I like my toys and driving them. When I am propped up in a corner drooling some day I won't be remembering how much money I made or lost on them. I'll be thinking about driving the Tail of the Dragon with a line of screaming GT3's. Hitting the wall in an RS at a track in Minnesota. Sphincter tightening going thru the kink at Road America in same RS. Backroads drives with friends and family. Hours spent at tracks driving and watching etc, etc, etc.

I feel very fortunate being able to afford/drive Porsche's but also have many fun memories in other cars. It does not matter what car you want/have. Go out and drive the darn thing or you are missing the point. Most people don't take it with them.

Rant over.

YMMV
Welcome to the new age of "car and porsche enthusiasts" errm noobs *not everyone* obviously... But the trend seems to be LE this and that, speculation, investment, depreciation blah blah blah oh and tyre stickers

Wish I could go back to the car and track scene 10 years ago
Old 03-15-2017, 03:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

^ some dude on a thread is building a Black-Scholes model so we can commoditize porsches and HEDGE them.

just drive the god damn car.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Welcome to the new age of "car and porsche enthusiasts" errm noobs *not everyone* obviously... But the trend seems to be LE this and that, speculation, investment, depreciation blah blah blah oh and tyre stickers

Wish I could go back to the car and track scene 10 years ago
Agreed. The fascination with pricing/values/premiums makes me wonder if some folks are playing in a price range that they don't belong in.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:14 AM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Agreed. The fascination with pricing/values/premiums makes me wonder if some folks are playing in a price range that they don't belong in.
Exactly. IMO, you shouldn't buy one unless you can afford two. These exhausting threads about values and pricing would end up on page 5.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Everyone plays in a price range they don't belong that's why we go to work

Agree buying a car and letting it sit seems silly but so does a home that has rooms never used same about a lot of things but it's their money to do with what they want none of us need these new shiny things.

Values most likely helps someone justify their reasoning to stroke a check - IMO we are all nuts but if we don't tell anyone it makes us feel sane.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:12 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Everyone plays in a price range they don't belong that's why we go to work

Agree buying a car and letting it sit seems silly but so does a home that has rooms never used same about a lot of things but it's their money to do with what they want none of us need these new shiny things.

Values most likely helps someone justify their reasoning to stroke a check - IMO we are all nuts but if we don't tell anyone it makes us feel sane.
What a refreshingly honest statement
Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ some dude on a thread is building a Black-Scholes model so we can commoditize porsches and HEDGE them.

just drive the god damn car.
Mooty, Black Scholes option pricing model might not work. Sometimes it is more like crapshoot. I agree...get on the car and go.

At some point in time someone will be left holding the bag. History is full of examples starting with the Dutch tulip craze. In the good words of Blood Sweat and Tears what goes up must come down,, spinning wheel got To go round.

Here are the lyrics. Maybe perfectly apropo for all these 'value' threads

What goes up must come down
Spinnin' wheel got to go 'round

Talkin' 'bout your troubles it's a cryin' sin
Ride a painted pony let the spinnin' wheel spin

You got no money and you got no home
Spinnin' wheel all alone
Talkin' 'bout your troubles and you, you never learn
Ride a painted pony let the spinnin' wheel turn

Did you find the directing sign on the
Straight and narrow highway
Would you mind a reflecting sign
Just let it shine within your mind
And show you the colors that are real
Someone is waiting just for you
Spinnin' wheel, spinnin' true
Drop all your troubles by the riverside
Catch a painted pony on the spinning wheel ride

Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by Just in time
Mooty, Black Scholes option pricing model might not work. Sometimes it is more like crapshoot. I agree...get on the car and go.

At some point in time someone will be left holding the bag. History is full of examples starting with the Dutch tulip craze. In the good words of Blood Sweat and Tears what goes up must come down,, spinning wheel got To go round.

Here are the lyrics. Maybe perfectly apropo for all these 'value' threads

That's just not true.

A rare cars value is simply a matter of sold too soon.

Forget the tulips it could not be a different scenario.

Few years ago all the old Ferrari guys were whining about prices on F40's Daytona's Dino's - fact is like excellent real estate they aren't making more.

So you have a choice - buy something to own or buy something in hopes to time the market which will ruin any hobby. Car guys are all the same it's just a matter of what level they play. We are seeing the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. These last few NA Manuals performance are race cars that happen to be street legal. These factories are giving us these last few models and then it's over.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
That's just not true.

A rare cars value is simply a matter of sold too soon.

Forget the tulips it could not be a different scenario.

Few years ago all the old Ferrari guys were whining about prices on F40's Daytona's Dino's - fact is like excellent real estate they aren't making more. .
After decades in the market respectfully disagree. Let's see...that old car...say Ferrari, is sold for more than before...when it goes back to the market because a higher price is expected the number of potential buyers is smaller...but let's say it sells again for more...that cycle keeps repeating...the price keeps going up until there are no buyers with the financial wherewithal ...and somebody is left holding the bag or the car will sell for less. Good for those that get out in a timely fashion.

Your scenario would be correct if there were an infinite number of buyers...regretfully that does not happen. It is true that some cars do hold value better than others but I have my serious doubt that they can appreciate in saecula saeculorum (pardon the Latin but it is all I can come up with).
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Guys...it's just forum blather and having fun. That's what forums are for. Everyone enjoys their cars differently. No right or wrong way. It's just your way.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 125 Posts

We all know that we buy guys because we simply love to drive them and so owners of mass produced 991 GT3 RS simply don't need to worry about that like 991 R owners do, which was a very limited production run
Old 03-15-2017, 03:24 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Originally Posted by Just in time
After decades in the market respectfully disagree. Let's see...that old car...say Ferrari, is sold for more than before...when it goes back to the market because a higher price is expected the number of potential buyers is smaller...but let's say it sells again for more...that cycle keeps repeating...the price keeps going up until there are no buyers with the financial wherewithal ...and somebody is left holding the bag or the car will sell for less. Good for those that get out in a timely fashion.

Your scenario would be correct if there were an infinite number of buyers...regretfully that does not happen. It is true that some cars do hold value better than others but I have my serious doubt that they can appreciate in saecula saeculorum (pardon the Latin but it is all I can come up with).
The whole premise of a sale is like an auction key is to have more than one buyer which determines market value so when you say I am incorrect you are speculating an unrealistic scenario for this thread or like autos.

As far as the guy left holding the bag - simply not true he was a big boy and has to live with the consequences - such as life hardly anything eye opening.

Just in time - you know timing / luck runs out

Last edited by nuvolari612; 03-15-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Like land / art and other investments. Good for nothing except to look at.
How long will you live, your kids? Do you have staying power?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:07 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Like land / art and other investments. Good for nothing except to look at.
How long will you live, your kids? Do you have staying power?
This^

Problem with the market now is that everyone thinks. I can't loose. Even heard dealers say. This is a no brainer. Buy this new GT car. You won't loose any money.

We all know what happens soon after. Cabooom. And not from the engine.

Quick Reply: So what does this mean for 991.1 RS??