Sponsored by:

Loaner car reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Interesting, indeed, and many of the things I've felt about Boxsters for years. Severely underrated. Now try a Boxster S with a manual, the X73 suspension, and sport exhaust. If "fun" is the objective, it's extremely hard to beat for road work.

And convertibles have come a long, long way thanks to better top technology and technique. Very little downside in a 981...
+1
I miss my Boxster. Early Sat/Sun summer mornings, curvy country road, top down in a Boxster = unbeatable Nirvana. Probably the best car for that purpose regardless of price. I see a 981 Boxster S in my near future, with MT and X73 sport suspension, of course.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Well, I get whatever loaner I'll have delivered friday...hoping for Ford Pinto but then again, those caught fire too...
Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
991GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a Cayenne V6. I am not really happy. Car is very slow but it is quite comfortable.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Told my Dealer the only loaners I would accept would be a Turbo S or 918. Said they would try. Haven't heard back. Allan
Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of you that have parked your GT3 and have not yet gotten a loaner, don't settle for anything less than a new 991. The five of us that took delivery of GT3's from Carlsen Porsche in January were all offered NEW 991's with no requirement to "turn in" our GT3's. The factory is giving the dealers a lump sum plus a daily allowance for the 991's.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I have free beer for the person who can hold a drift the longest in a loaner on YouTube.

Really cool would be to use your loaner as you would your GT3; slap data/video in it and take it to the track so we know what a true bone stock boxter cayman, Pana, cayenne, C2 will do at your local track...

I already regret forgoing on the GT3 to wait for the RS. Prolly no such free track car luck by the time they perfect the RS, if they don't cancel the entire GT program altogether that is.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have free beer for the person who can hold a drift the longest in a loaner on YouTube.

Really cool would be to use your loaner as you would your GT3; slap data/video in it and take it to the track so we know what a true bone stock boxter cayman, Pana, cayenne, C2 will do at your local track...

I already regret forgoing on the GT3 to wait for the RS. Prolly no such free track car luck by the time they perfect the RS, if they don't cancel the entire GT program altogether that is.
LOL That's great a concept might get the bean counters putting a little fire
under their engineers butts,

I'll bring the Ice for the beer to sebring and a couple of go-pros

Peter keep the faith on the GT Program veterans like yourself need to be
our leaders
Old 03-05-2014, 12:50 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Did someone say "Spec-Loaner" series?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Did someone say "Spec-Loaner" series?
^LMAO. Nice.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
^LMAO. Nice.
+20
Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Matches my 13 cayenne gts exactly...not upset, a pretty cool loaner for however long I have it. Tinted tail lights and black out package as well. It's amazing what PDK does for less than optimal power motor...I'm dodging potholes up in the Northeast anyways.

Oh...and signed up for V6 class 4 seater club race series...let me just get a brush guard installed...LOL.

Last edited by sechsgang; 03-07-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I've been in a Panamera Turbo S executive stretch going so sideways we went backwards.

This could be fun.

Can I invite anyone to bring their loaner to the PBIR event with PBOC in 2 weeks? I could rent a hertz 911 but I rather buy you beers. I've had a Panamera on track at PBIR and nothing bad happened.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Since there is nothing else to write about - stop drive killed all track and mod discussions - I'll post about the loaner. Got a base Cayman 2014 yesterday.

I did NOT like it. It seems fake. Let me explain. When I drove it 5/10, it felt AWESOME, except for the steering. But when I tried pushing it more, it did not deliver. Particularly the engine - throttle response, noise and initial pick up write a promise that the engine cannot deliver on when you dip the throttle more. Feels a bit like M3 in limp mode - great sound, great response as normally, but no go. Anyway, that was expected. What was unexpected that suspension and brakes were a bit the same - brakes provide great feel and modulation most of the time but getting close to threshold braking, the feel gets muddier. On the other hand, they feel better then brakes in Cayenne Turbo. I know, that's an SUV, but that by itself should not make the brakes worse, should it?

Suspension is the best part, but both my GT3 and M3 start to feel "smaller" when you really push them, while base Cayman does not have this magic. It's not too bad though.

Anyway, I'm not happy with the loaner. Definitely not a worthy replacement (not that it surprises me). It also does not have Navi, which makes it tough for me to get around this new to me city. If the stop drive lasts longer than a week, I'll ask for something with navi.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 PM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My Loaner

I'm one of those GT3-in-waiting customers who's car in that parking lot up in Rhode Island. I sold my 2009 C4S three weeks ago when the GT3 arrived at the port. That was the deal we made over the holidays - we'd complete the sale when my GT3 arrived in the port. Since then, I've been driving our "dogmobile" - a Sienna minivan.

I picked up a loaner from my dealer Thursday night: a 2014 C2 with 14 miles on it. It had PDK, the Bose package, the power seat package, sport chrono, and a sunroof. For a loaner, it is a SWEET ride. Overall, I like it, but not as much as I liked my C4S (ignoring option differences). Things I like better about the 991:

---The engine sound
---Exterior styling
---The changes/additions to the instrument cluster

Thinks I liked better about my '09 C4S

---The steering feel
---The PCM and HVAC controls
---The extra power

What it does is REALLY makes me look forward to getting my GT3

My dealer had asked if my car could be transferred down from the port. He'd love to have it in the showroom to show people on the wait list as well as be eye candy for other customers. Porsche said no. Apparently, there are some dealers delivering cars, in spite of the stop sale, and owners who continue driving them. Porsche doesn't want that liability.

I can't wait for this waiting game to end...

Scott
Old 03-09-2014, 06:52 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If cars are at the port, dealers don't have the power to have the cars transferred without PCNA / PAG authorization, right?

So the cars being delivered are the ones that were already at the dealership prior to the stop sale?

Quick Reply: Loaner car reviews