Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loaner car reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:32 PM
TomTom77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche Dubai called me to ask me to bring in the Panamera (V6) that they gave me the week before. Sadly, they don't have "sport cars" as loaners anymore... Well, that says it all, doesn't it?

I've got a Panamera S now. Slightly better, but still a big and clumsy ship.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:02 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I picked up a Carrera S on Friday. Brand new, grey with black interior. It's got the sport exhaust and a few other options.
I've been running it in Sports Plus mode. The burbling from the exhaust is pretty cool. The PDK in the car stinks though. There is an intermittent, annoying delay in shifts. First to second gear takes forever. The exact opposite direction for changing gears (vs. GT3) has resulted in several embarrassing accidental downshifts! Decided I better just stick with the paddles.
The car is a wonderful daily driver. You can go from a rather loud exhaust note to a stealth mode at the touch of a button. If you must have a MT, you can make a pretty good case for the x51 package and the 7 speed MT with minimal other options.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Okay- Time to forget about my White GT3 at the Port for a little bit and appreciate the Loaner. Weather has broken in the Midwest and I took the time yesterday to give my loaner( Red Carrera S w/PDK) a proper detail. Wait - A little history first- I have previously owned a 2007 Cayman S, 2007 Red 997 Turbo, 2011 White Audi R8 V10 Spyder. Now, I would normally just take a loaner to a brushless car wash but I just felt that on a beautiful day just wanted to get out and enjoy the day.

First of all; I wish I ordered my GT3 in Guard Red. I was conflicted between White and Red but the whole thing about seeing all the lines of the car in White blah blah blah.. Red rocks. Now that the red loaner is all dressed up it just looks great. Red just pops and I love the way it looks. People just stare and compliment how hot the car looks. If I had never owned me Red turbo I would of went red. No regrets though but just stating my opinion. Up until I have been driving this loaner I have always stated that my Cayman S was the best handling car I have driven. Only complaint(and no other) was that it was just underpowered. But I could slide it with such predictability and it was not easy to break the rear loose. The Carrera S(991) reminds me exactly of the Cayman S, in regards to, handling. It is just so planted and really difficult to break the rear loose. Now, I have driven all these cars on the same streets and the same turns where I test their capabilities so I feel qualified to make these observations. My Turbo, and believe it or not the R8, were not as planted and they are not rear wheel drives. The PDK in the loaner - who ever was the idiot who put these little whacky shifters on the steering wheel should be shot. Forget about them so I am using the center console shifter and since all my previous cars were manuals this works fine for me. Sure, miss the engagement of the manual and the PDK on the loaner needs to be a lot quicker but after 6 weeks now I am getting used to it and it is okay. The engine- smooth as silk and plenty of power. The gears though in my opinion are a little too long and wish this car had a sport exhaust to get me more excited.
In the end, the GT3 with 75 more ponies, quicker and properly mounted paddle shifter, and the sport exhaust is going to be one hell of a ride and can not wait.
I am on my way right now to test drive a Lambo 560-4. I have no intentions of buying it (I guess) but I have never driven one so am going to take advantage of this opportunity. - Will report back
Old 04-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Forget the 4. Find a 560-2 with a gated manual and test drive that
Old 04-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Hoopumpers- Test drove both the 560-4 and the 550-2. First of all bot cars sound awesome. Nothing like a good old NA V10. These cars pull like a freight train and have a sense of urgency which is irresistible. Not fair to compare to the Carrera S loaner I puleld up in but although on paper the Lambos are not that much quicker but the Porsche just feels quite slower. I was also surprised by how small these cars are in person. Beautiful looking and may be one of the better looking cars out there in my opinion. I preferred the 550-2 and is was quite noticeable pretty quickly. I found the 560-4 to feel heavier over-all and the steering sensation was heavier and numb. The 550-2 just felt lighter with a better feel plus I can scorch the rear tires better on a quick turn from stop that the 4-wheel cars always try to resist. The 550-2 feels just as fast as the 560-4

In regards to the 560-2 with a manual. Was thinking the same thing and probably glad they did not have one there.

Hey - it was fun to test some other vehicles on the market while I wait to decide what I will do.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Sorry all - Had to break up a fight between Wife and my 4 1/2 year old Son were having while playing Playstation - Unreal.

Okay - The most important thing I forgot to mention was their Single Clutch E-gear transmission. Well, was not as bad as I expected(had low expectation from the start) but it is surely antiquated. Remember, I pulled up in the Carrera S w/PDK so I had a great comparable. The Dual clutch crushes single clutch. Not so much on the down shift because the Lambo downshifts just as good but it is slow and jerky as you up-shift. ( Even is "corsa" ). Hence lies their issue. But- the Huracan will be dual clutch so that beast with over 600 ponies will be some thing to see. But I also heard pricing is going to jump considerably. Could I manage a Lambo with the single clutch???. Sure - if it was discounted significantly but my concern would be not only how fast these cars are depreciating on the lot now with the introduction of the Huracan but I expect they will continue to depreciate the next few years.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 2014 C4s cab GT silver with chocolate interior. Fully loaded with Burmaster sound system. Very nice. It will ease up the wait and I like it....but I can't seem to love it

Quick Reply: Loaner car reviews