Sponsored by:

Compensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I think I would want my money back and wait a year or so to see if Porsche really has the problem fixed before buying another one.
^Best advice.^
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

+1
I understand that GT3 'owners' will (and SHOULD) get a different comp package,
but those of us w/ cars in the prod/transit process also need to be addressed, or I for one will not take delivery & demand the return of my deposit.
Considerations:
-Extended warranty is a must for ALL '14 cars. I would not take a '14 car with an inferior (to the warranty offered the 785 cars) warranty.
-A reasonable time expectation of when the +785 engines will be completed, so that in-production cars can then be completed. How many months will it take PAG to get this engine production done in a quality fashion? If it is three/four months (10 eng./day) to build 785 new engines, I will move on.
-some Pcar 'goodwill' would be nice...
my 2c

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Preaching to the choir. It's probably the ONE thing that can go the furthest to protect the brand AND loyal customers / enthusiasts who adopted the new GT3 first.

To me, this is a must and the starting point for all compensation packages.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
They are not going to offer a refund. What sane person wouldn't take a refund? Extended warranty is the best you can hope for.
+1
Old 03-19-2014, 12:16 PM
indecisive
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
They are not going to offer a refund. What sane person wouldn't take a refund? Extended warranty is the best you can hope for.
Depends on the state. But, I know for many your vehicle being in the shop 30 days in the first year triggers lemon law statutes.

So, yes many owners do have a legal recourse, AFAIK.

Last edited by indecisive; 03-19-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Remember that Porsche is just a little part of VAG. The precedents set here could have an enormous impact in some future recall where the numbers might in in the thousands. I have no doubt that their legal counsel will be very,very careful in assessing how this goes down.

They may well be better in offering refunds than any kind of damages. 785 cars is a tiny number, and even if 100 people take refunds, no impact on Porsche.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
And I'd definitely trade miles for time...even if it was a 50k warranty for 6 years...I would definitely also love to be able to get a car at invoice or within 1000 of invoice in the future too. That keeps you going to Porsche and they know it would be used. I'd probably just apply that to my mom's current C4S upgrade (even though I have a deposit for the 960...but that's asking for A LOT more money).
I concur, I would also prefer longer coverage to higher mileage 50k/6yr or 75k/6yr.

I am new to the Porsche brand and this purchase has been drawn out and gut wrenching. The GT models have quite a history and given the reviews from forum members who have received their cars and had a chance to drive them before the stop sale / recall I am hopeful that the 991 GT3 is just as impressive and hopefully as durable.

I am just another voice in the crowd that placed an initial deposit in 2013. Though my journey has been pretty rocky. The initial indictions from my original dealer were a March build, then it became a March lock, then that dealer changed his tune completely to a December 2014 allocation. I was lucky enough to find another dealer with an April lock, May build and June delivery. Now that I have an order number, the system shows some of my dates moving to the right, currently delivery in mid to late July. Overall my car may arrive 13 to 14 months after placing my initial deposit - if I had stuck with my original dealer it could have been much, much later.

I am also in the camp that sold a car late last year (2010 Corvette ZR1) thinking it wouldn't be but a couple of months and my GT3 would arrive.

Ryan
Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

You will get extended warranty;

You will get provable financial loss;

You will get free maintenance for the warranty period;

You may get a refund less mileage allowance if you do not like the terms

People like me (car in PDI) can get our deposits back if we don't like the terms.

Porsche despite all the problems with this car knows it has a winner. There is no need for them to do anything that will dramatically affect the bottom line of the car.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
You will get extended warranty;

You will get provable financial loss;

You will get free maintenance for the warranty period;

You may get a refund less mileage allowance if you do not like the terms

People like me (car in PDI) can get our deposits back if we don't like the terms.

Porsche despite all the problems with this car knows it has a winner. There is no need for them to do anything that will dramatically affect the bottom line of the car.
+1 Nick, but do you really think maintenance will get thrown in???
Old 03-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
+1 Nick, but do you really think maintenance will get thrown in???
Yep. It doesn't cost Porsche too much but provides financially free driving for us.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:19 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^Agreed.

The biggest cost in all of this is the 785 engine swaps (and all logistics).

Extended warranty, included maintenance, etc.--for 785 cars worldwide? It will be a rounding error to PAG, while going a long way to restore customer and brand confidence and loyalty in the most ardent niche of Porsche's customer base.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to see how many of us are concurrent serial Porsche owners...Realizing the GT group is small, a good portion of us likely have another Porsche as well no? I know I have had 2 at a time for at least a decent portion of time (and currently 3...and that's not including my family).

I'm pretty sure it would be big enough to show Porsche we really do love the brand but we are more than just the wing nut/passionate GT owners as well...
Old 03-19-2014, 01:40 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I think besides whatever compensation they'll decide to throw in,a really " killer " announcement to restore confidence would sound like this :

Porsche Motorsport division :

" Starting with the 2016 racing season all CUP cars will be equipped with the 9A1 based engine,currently found in the 991GT3 road car "

Now that's an endorsement and vote of confidence coming from PAG!!!

Come on PAG,DO IT!!!
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pano 4S, turbo cayenne.. also purchased 3 other P cars from same dealer c2 and 2 GT3. Barrier in Bellevue wa has been the best I have felt with in my 45 years of buying cars.
bakamon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are going to offer a refund to the 785 owners, depends on your negotiation result.
A guideline from PAG: (at my place, just for reference)
To 785 owners: Offer a loaner or maximum daily $200 rent car fee, a new engine replacement and
a compensation package(it might be a cash refund, extended warranty,..etc, depends on your
request and negotiation, PAG didnt decide this part yet and keep monitoring the feedback-our requests
from dealers everyday through internal network)
if you are in the 785 and didnt have a loaner yet, call Porsche customer service line(not dealer) and you will get one.
If the loaner cant satisfy you or they cant offer you one, you can rent one you like under $200 daily.
In my case, I dont take a loaner or rent, I asked them to pay daily $200 cash compensation/refund from the stop
driving announcement date to it fixed and returned date. It is not be approved yet, if any update I will post it here.

There is no standard compensation package to everyone in the 785, besides the engine replacement.
It depends on how and what you negotiate to Porsche and dealer.
If you keep silent, you will never be put on their "list".
Old 03-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I agree with most everyone here that a warranty extension is a given. An additional 2 years on the powertrain would be about right. I don't think routine maintenance will be included but it certainly wouldn't be inappropriate as a good will gesture.

I think the $4500 credit toward Porsche merchandise that Macca mentioned is completely inadequate and fortunately I don't think that's what they will do here in the US. I've posted this before, but Porsche compensated me $800 (my monthly payment at the time) when my 996 was out of service for 4 weeks and a friend recently told me that when his Audi was down for 6 weeks VW offered him one month's payment and when he objected they pushed it to two sending him a check for $1200. On the GT3, anything less than $2500 cash for each month's loss of use on a car for which Porsche has already received $150K+ full payment would be unfair. This is another reason why I think compensation should and will be individualized. Anyone who has made a down and is making payments, anyone who is leasing, and anyone who has lost the opportunity cost of the full $150K because they paid cash, should each be compensated differently, IMO.

Quick Reply: Compensation