Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensation

Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Compensation

Those that know me will know I wouldnt ask this question unless there was more on my mind.

If you had received your GT3 some time ago and are now unable to drive it until a replacement engine is shipped and installed (assume 2 months minimum, more likely three months from today), would you accept either of these two options as compensation for your time, inconvenience, opportunity cost (of funds or interest on finance whatever is applicable) and insurance and other holding costs?

1. Extension of warranty – (12 months)

OR

2. Porsche Driver Selection items up to the value of $5500 USD retail.

I ask because I suspect this is what you will be offered and I curious if those in the USA (where there is most market clout) would accept this?

Call this a "hypothetical" question for now...

Last edited by Macca; 04-09-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't think either option by itself is good enough. However, personally, I would be ok if they offered both together.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:16 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I'm not sure I can answer this as I'm not in line. However if the warranty was extended to cover the track (not racing), I'll admit I would be in line.

It seems the biggest step Porsche could take to both stand behind and legitimize the new GT3.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I'm not sure I can answer this as I'm not in line. However if the warranty was extended to cover the track (not racing), I'll admit I would be in line. It seems the biggest step Porsche could take to both stand behind and legitimize the new GT3.
According the manual on the new Gt3, they warranty track use as long as you follow the maintenance guidelines. Even then, I know of several guys who had warranty work done by dealers who know the car was tracked.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:24 AM
mhh
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll be asking for the same currency we transacted the original deal in - it's called cash.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:30 AM
mshahidz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I gathered from my conversation with the "concierge"

-warranty extension is being heavily considered (he made it sound like it was a no-brainer)
-some sort of financial compensation is almost guaranteed
-they will reimburse my winter tires to some extent - car has 3-400KM on it ( bought the car jan18th. spent 1 week at dealer, stop sale not long after)
-they will try to upgrade us from the cayenne v6 we have now to something more sporty
- expect 2-3 months before the car is good to go.

With that said -

I would like at least enough compensation to make me feel as though my 4 months of finance payments just went down the drain - considering the car is going to be MIA for another 3 months. I plan to keep this car forever, but it just doesn't sit well that I am paying for a car I don't have.

Extended warranty is a must. If i don't have that I will lose it!
Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

The extended warranty on the entire car is a minimum, I would consider it a given.
No way they send you on your way with the regular warranty when the car that was given back will be sold CPO for less as a manufacturers buy back carfax car.

A 180 in respecting track use warranty claims for the entire CPO coverage would go a long way, he'll invite GT3 owners for a sponsored DE track event!

Cash option to make it right, or a Porsche vacation / Driving event credit would be a smart move, driving events will create a lot of positive Porsche experiences and threads.
A couple of thousand per month credit seems fair as a gesture or half that in cash?

I just did Camp4S in Finland and It was awesome. Anyone who likes cars will like any of these driving events. No experience needed and would do a lot of brand rebuilding IMO.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:45 AM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macca thanks for posting. I think the answer is pretty clearly "no" on just #1. While it may compensate those who planned to keep the car for a very long time it's not realistic for porsche to appease everyone (or I think even a basic majority) without supplementing the warranty with something else. If I were them I would offer a porsche credit of some relatively large amount or a smaller amount in basic cash.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:47 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.

Just want my money back, I'm out. Time to move on.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No.1 is not enough by itself. I purchased 4 extra year/50K miles bumper to bumper extended warranty through my dealer for $1800 for my current GT3. Swap my engine, park my car at the port for 4 months is worth much more than $1800. I will be happy with the 2 yr extended plus $10K reduction in MSRP. Remember they make $23K in profit on each car and over the last few years I have spent $1.2Million dollar on Porsche cars. I see my dealer knock off $15K on thei cars that are not sold from their inventory so $10K off MSRP plus the 2 yr warranty is not asking much.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:57 AM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extension of engine warranty, for what is really arguably unproven new engine (even if advised new torque protocol for unaltered connecting rod bolt is only change in engine production) is imperative.
Monetary compensation, for loss of use AND for assuming risk of accelerated depreciation on this asset, is also imperative.
Loaner, in addition to these, is also imperative ... IMO Carrera S is bare minimum as loaner (would have been driving GT3!)
Otherwise, this owner almost certainly walks and finds other car for next 1-2 years ... even after spending $2050.00 on relatively complete XPEL coverage.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

Assuming you want to keep it:
1. CPO equivalent extension to 6yr/100k, transferable to any future buyers. This is to bolster the manufacturer credibility that was lost when the brand new car they sold you manifested a fatal flaw in the first two months of ownership.

2. Cash for loss of use, equivalent to lease payments for the time out of service.

3. Option for buyback at 100% of sales contract price within the first 18 months of ownership should the car exhibit any further engine related issues. Stand behind your product and own it if you f'up again.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:07 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
No.1 is not enough by itself. I purchased 4 extra year/50K miles bumper to bumper extended warranty through my dealer for $1800 for my current GT3. Swap my engine, park my car at the port for 4 months is worth much more than $1800. I will be happy with the 2 yr extended plus $10K reduction in MSRP. Remember they make $23K in profit on each car and over the last few years I have spent $1.2Million dollar on Porsche cars. I see my dealer knock off $15K on thei cars that are not sold from their inventory so $10K off MSRP plus the 2 yr warranty is not asking much.
Dream on.

Originally Posted by snabbgt3
Extension of engine warranty, for what is really arguably unproven new engine (even if advised new torque protocol for unaltered connecting rod bolt is only change in engine production) is imperative.
Monetary compensation, for loss of use AND for assuming risk of accelerated depreciation on this asset, is also imperative.
Loaner, in addition to these, is also imperative ... IMO Carrera S is bare minimum as loaner (would have been driving GT3!)
Otherwise, this owner almost certainly walks and finds other car for next 1-2 years ... even after spending $2050.00 on relatively complete XPEL coverage.
Right.

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Assuming you want to keep it:
1. CPO equivalent extension to 6yr/100k, transferable to any future buyers. This is to bolster the manufacturer credibility that was lost when the brand new car they sold you manifested a fatal flaw in the first two months of ownership.

2. Cash for loss of use, equivalent to lease payments for the time out of service.

3. Option for buyback at 100% of sales contract price within the first 18 months of ownership should the car exhibit any further engine related issues. Stand behind your product and own it if you f'up again.
#3 is never gonna happen.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

2 yr extended warranty is worth ~$900
Old 03-19-2014, 01:18 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

#3 is basically the CA lemon law minus use cost based on mileage. They may refuse to buyback, but a lawyer usually fixes that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compensation