Sponsored by:

McLaren to replace GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:32 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Holy schnikes! What was the MSRP on that car?!
$275K.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:00 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
$275K.
You got a nearly brand new and super awesome car for a 100 G off, that is sweet. Congrats!!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Yes, I've seen some higher mileage (6-7K - still nothing) cars listed at $180K-190K with $260-270K MSRPs. I imagine they would sell in low $160Ks if not lower. Very tempting. I am not sure about the maintenance costs, as I'm planning to keep the car for a while. Otherwise, I would have jumped on it already.
Actually if you want a better deal, there are few that had some accidents ranging from light to moderate damage and you can pick these for around $50k-$90k. I looked at one of these cars who had oversteered around a turn on rain with nannies off and the driver just panicked and did not counter steer and ended up smacking the passenger side rear wheel on the curb and climbing over curb and hitting a small pole. The idiot who owned the car had a revoked license due to DUI, and no insurance and now facing the repairs on his own. Just goes to show you that there are too many idiots driving nice cars. There was actually Very little body damage, tranny is good and body is straight. Most of the repair is concentrated in the passenger rear suspension pieces, drive shaft, wheel, and rear spoiler, and few other items. I got a quotation from a top body shop who specializes in repairing exotics to repair it for $36 to $41K, and give you lifetime warranty on repair. The car price was negotiated down to $65K sold as is with the damage. So for around $100K you can get one of these cars and after fixed is paid for, and in the case of this particular car, no damage will be showing up on carfax since the insurance is not involved. Almost bought that car.

All I am saying there are some insane deals on these cars, which in a way should make us proud of owning Porsches. I don't think you ever have to worry about your Porsche car value drop like this regardless of the problems Porsche are having. Look at the prices of the 2004 Carrera GT. They are still north of $350K even when high profile people died riding in it or driving it. Just something to think about. In my case I am a diehard Porsche fan and have never lost any faith in Porsche brand or question their designs or quality but rather need something to use for this season, and hence the McLaren which is the closest thing to a GT3 and will be glad to sell my McLaren once my GT3 is back. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 03-24-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:14 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
You got a nearly brand new and super awesome car for a 100 G off, that is sweet. Congrats!!
You are welcome bud. I only paid the deposit so far to lock the price of the car. The car is being checked next week by one of my Mechanics who works for me and had worked on Mclarens before, and if all is good, rest of money will be transferred next week and that baby is mine by next weekend and just in time for track season. Mark
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by mqandil
You are welcome bud. I only paid the deposit so far to lock the price of the car. The car is being checked next week by one of my Mechanics who works for me and had worked on Mclarens before, and if all is good, rest of money will be transferred next week and that baby is mine by next weekend and just in time for track season. Mark
Congrats again and hope it checks out OK. Let us know what you think once you track it. Better yet, post a video.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:22 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

Arrggghh..I've been looking at mclarens all night!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I could drive a 100k McLaren...
Old 03-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Just listened to 991 GT3 sounds on youtube. I could do that all day long. No substitute. Wish I was waiting on one.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:00 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

When used McLarens are as cheap as used Gallardos I will consider it.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Here some stuff to ponder.

Gallardo s came out in 2004 you can buy these for 70 to 85k. First year cars are cheap but had some QC issues like any new car. VW Audi group bought and manages the company so quality durability is vastly improved as the Germans took more and more control.

I have had customers scoop up these ars and upgrade the exhaust and add +50hp and have great V10 sports car sound and some Gung-Ho guys ship the cars to underground racing and heffners performance and have 800 to 1500Hp for $25k to $50k and have absolute laughable beast. I have driven some and big giant grins on your face as waste gates snap open bark sputter and everything goes hyperspace!

I have a 2006 gallardo spider 6 speed 6000mile bought for $133 three years ago. There are deals out there. The car is a piece of modern artwork design sculpture. I should sell it or trade it but have not.

On the mclaren I have had over 50 of these cars into the shop. From coupes and spiders with the retractable hardtop. These cars are twin turbo V8 and really balanced. You can name your price and buy these cars at a great value. They are tight well balanced , light and wicked fast stock . 621hp stock.

These cars Coe equipped and choked down (just like and Porsche 996tt Nd 997tt) with 4 quantity 700 cell per square in catalytic converters and a rear box muffler. The car is designed like a small IMSA Camel light car. Three years ago I designed dyno developed HJS German sports racing catalytic converters and catbypass pipes for these cars. The pipes are 3.0" 76mm and allows the engine to come on boost much faster / sooner and the car picked up 40+ HP and truly spectacular and evil sports car sound.

So stock you have 621 HP and another easy 40 for 660HP. That early Porsche 956 power and with catbypass pipes evil addictive turbo whistling and howling. I contracted with a famous European tuner and have a tuning kit that adds another 70hp and 110+ fold of torque on a stock exhaust. These power increases are cumulative .

So lets ponder this. New cars were $250 to $275k loaded. Strike prices in the $150 to $170 for coupes with low miles. New cars are continually being pumped out and new McLaren 650S cars that look like the P1 from the front with styling upgrades are on the boats and production is being ramped up................over supply and demand and time are working for us fellow gear heads!

How much fun and laughs would it be to have a home built McLaren GT3 home built racecar with a few aero mods dive planes, Michelin slicks 800twin turno engine at Watkins glen.

When you jump off the throttle in the braking zone or on the street you get big flames out the high mounted tailpipes and when you pick up the throttle you hear the turbos whine whistle and you the cheapest mid engine clone to a Porsche 962C that I an fathom.

If any of you guys want to cruise by fabspeed Motorsports feel free as I usually have several Ferrari 360/430, lambo gallardo s and McLarens in various build states that you can sample.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 03-24-2014, 12:44 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
Here some stuff to ponder.

Gallardo s came out in 2004 you can buy these for 70 to 85k. First year cars are cheap but had some QC issues like any new car. VW Audi group bought and manages the company so quality durability is vastly improved as the Germans took more and more control.

I have had customers scoop up these ars and upgrade the exhaust and add +50hp and have great V10 sports car sound and some Gung-Ho guys ship the cars to underground racing and heffners performance and have 800 to 1500Hp for $25k to $50k and have absolute laughable beast. I have driven some and big giant grins on your face as waste gates snap open bark sputter and everything goes hyperspace!

I have a 2006 gallardo spider 6 speed 6000mile bought for $133 three years ago. There are deals out there. The car is a piece of modern artwork design sculpture. I should sell it or trade it but have not.

On the mclaren I have had over 50 of these cars into the shop. From coupes and spiders with the retractable hardtop. These cars are twin turbo V8 and really balanced. You can name your price and buy these cars at a great value. They are tight well balanced , light and wicked fast stock . 621hp stock.

These cars Coe equipped and choked down (just like and Porsche 996tt Nd 997tt) with 4 quantity 700 cell per square in catalytic converters and a rear box muffler. The car is designed like a small IMSA Camel light car. Three years ago I designed dyno developed HJS German sports racing catalytic converters and catbypass pipes for these cars. The pipes are 3.0" 76mm and allows the engine to come on boost much faster / sooner and the car picked up 40+ HP and truly spectacular and evil sports car sound.

So stock you have 621 HP and another easy 40 for 660HP. That early Porsche 956 power and with catbypass pipes evil addictive turbo whistling and howling. I contracted with a famous European tuner and have a tuning kit that adds another 70hp and 110+ fold of torque on a stock exhaust. These power increases are cumulative .

So lets ponder this. New cars were $250 to $275k loaded. Strike prices in the $150 to $170 for coupes with low miles. New cars are continually being pumped out and new McLaren 650S cars that look like the P1 from the front with styling upgrades are on the boats and production is being ramped up................over supply and demand and time are working for us fellow gear heads!

How much fun and laughs would it be to have a home built McLaren GT3 home built racecar with a few aero mods dive planes, Michelin slicks 800twin turno engine at Watkins glen.

When you jump off the throttle in the braking zone or on the street you get big flames out the high mounted tailpipes and when you pick up the throttle you hear the turbos whine whistle and you the cheapest mid engine clone to a Porsche 962C that I an fathom.

If any of you guys want to cruise by fabspeed Motorsports feel free as I usually have several Ferrari 360/430, lambo gallardo s and McLarens in various build states that you can sample.
Man, now you have messed up my thought process.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:13 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I've been reading thru all of these posts where people are discussing other cars(brands) that can replace the GT3. I don't want to insist on the value or performance aspects between the GT3 and other brands.
But it made me curious enough to go have a look at those other brands prices and tried very hard to find 1(one) example that is advertised anywhere in the vicinity of the prices speculated on this forum. NONE! ZERO!
Ferrari 458 at 175K?! Dream on...
F430 Scuderia around 120-130K...more like 190K. So Dream on...
12C...I don't know...I can't imagine a dealer asking a price and then negotiate 30-40K off that. Sounds pretty crazy to me...
Now I see Lamborghini being thrown out there...

So my question is : are all these prices Rennlist SPECIAL or you can actually negotiate for some of these cars in the region of tens of thousand of dollars?!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:21 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I've been reading thru all of these posts where people are discussing other cars(brands) that can replace the GT3. I don't want to insist on the value or performance aspects between the GT3 and other brands. But it made me curious enough to go have a look at those other brands prices and tried very hard to find 1(one) example that is advertised anywhere in the vicinity of the prices speculated on this forum. NONE! ZERO! Ferrari 458 at 175K?! Dream on... F430 Scuderia around 120-130K...more like 190K. So Dream on... 12C...I don't know...I can't imagine a dealer asking a price and then negotiate 30-40K off that. Sounds pretty crazy to me... Now I see Lamborghini being thrown out there... So my question is : are all these prices Rennlist SPECIAL or you can actually negotiate for some of these cars in the region of tens of thousand of dollars?!
Agreed. Scud will be closer to 190k. No way to get a good example of a 458 even close in price. Haven't personally looked at 12C pricing.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
When used McLarens are as cheap as used Gallardos I will consider it.
Originally Posted by Joe@Fabspeed
Now I see Lamborghini being thrown out there...
Since you guys brought it up...there are deals to be had on the remaining new Gallardos, and of course used ones are out there from $100-200k. I just got through the break-in period of mine (well, OK, I cut it a little short ). Fantastic fun to drive. And bulletproof, as mentioned by Joe; many are doubling horsepower with turbos. Being at least half German, they are a great gateway car to Italian exotics for Porsche people...
Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been reading thru all of these posts where people are discussing other cars(brands) that can replace the GT3. I don't want to insist on the value or performance aspects between the GT3 and other brands. But it made me curious enough to go have a look at those other brands prices and tried very hard to find 1(one) example that is advertised anywhere in the vicinity of the prices speculated on this forum. NONE! ZERO! Ferrari 458 at 175K?! Dream on... F430 Scuderia around 120-130K...more like 190K. So Dream on... 12C...I don't know...I can't imagine a dealer asking a price and then negotiate 30-40K off that. Sounds pretty crazy to me... Now I see Lamborghini being thrown out there... So my question is : are all these prices Rennlist SPECIAL or you can actually negotiate for some of these cars in the region of tens of thousand of dollars?!
10% off advertised price is not out of the question for used exotics. So -20k could be realistic. I agree though, in California you don't see 458 prices in that range

Quick Reply: McLaren to replace GT3?