Sponsored by:

Bad news-Schumi

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What "freak" accident happened to Senna or Clark?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
So who are the 2 best in your opinion?
Inquiring minds want to know......
Senna and Schumacher..
Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
Steering column broke, he crashed into a wall straight on at 145mph. The tie rod punctured his skull above his right eye, severed his brainstem, ruptured his temporal artery. The best footage of the crash was the car behind him.....Schumacher.

If you have an interest in Senna, or F1, watch the Senna documentary a few years back. Outstanding movie.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJ
On Jim Clark's accident, ensuing (from wiki):

There was initial speculation as to whether the accident was caused by a driver error or a deflating rear tyre, and the Lotus was investigated thoroughly by aircraft crash investigators for three weeks. Many drivers including Surtees and Brabham were convinced that the crash was caused by a deflating rear tyre and were adamant that it was not a driver error- simply because they believed Clark was not capable of making such a mistake.

According to Andrew Marriott of the classic journal Motor Sport who was covering the race as a young reporter "Deaths in the sport were a regular occurrence in those days, but surely someone of Clark's sublime talent and skill? People reckoned that the rear tyre had deflated, and there is another theory that the mechanical metering unit on the Cosworth FVA engine had seized and caused Clark to crash

and from the Telegraph :

"The death of Jim Clark, who suffered a horrific and still unexplained crash here (Hockenheim) in 1968, ranks alongside the loss of Ayrton Senna as one of the darkest days in the sport's history.

No one is quite sure what went wrong. It was a cold, wet, miserable day – but then Clark had dealt with such dismal conditions often enough before, and is still rated by many as the master of all-weather racing.
His mechanic, Dave Sims, reckoned he had suffered a deflated right rear tyre, which caused his white-and-gold Lotus to spin off the track and smash into the trees at an estimated 160mph. But Derek Bell, another British racer in Hockenheim that day, has drawn attention to the fact that Clark's engine had been misfiring all through the race weekend.
"I could see it," Bell told a reporter recently. "He goes through that curve, the engine cuts out, the thing gets itself sideways as a result, the engine suddenly cuts back in when he's out of shape . . . Who knows?""
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Both Clark and Senna died in RACING accidents, doing what they loved to do
Nothing "freak" about this, drivers die driving their race cars.

Now Schumacher, on the other hand, his accident could be called a freak one...
Old 04-01-2014, 06:58 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Senna for me was and is #1 for his pure talent and passion for racing and for life. His death WHILE racing has immortalized him. Schumacher is/was the ultimate package. He did it all.

Schumi is the reason I work hard at racing, while Senna is the reason I race.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

http://video.najoomi.com/play/video/...r-of-victories
Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Dude I remember watching that live. I got goose bumps reliving that scene. Another hero of mine is Mika, to Michaels right. He was always suck a good sport. Look how he tries to comfort his friend at a significant moment in his life, while his bro Ralph just glares forward... douche. Never liked him.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Legends.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
Dude I remember watching that live. I got goose bumps reliving that scene. Another hero of mine is Mika, to Michaels right. He was always suck a good sport. Look how he tries to comfort his friend at a significant moment in his life, while his bro Ralph just glares forward... douche. Never liked him.
I remember it as well. Ralph escaped death in Indy years ago.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27
Uhm, did you watch the video?.. Ralph was comforting his brother. I guess everyone sees what they want to believe
Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

+1
Old 04-04-2014, 08:24 AM
mrwheels
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

From the BBC website (just now), to quote:

"F1 champion Michael Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness" after months in a coma, his agent has said. Sabine Kehm said in a statement to the media that he was "making progress", adding that they remain "confident"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26885624
Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Good to see that but quite honestly, I think it is meant to quell chatter about "poor people can't afford that kind of care" that has plaqued the internet. I hope it's true, though.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Instructor

I was and still am sad at what happened. His dedication and skill was among the best. I hope the latest reports are accurate about momentary consciousness. What has always confused me is how many people overlooked his win at all cost mentality up until moving to Mercedes. I am in no way of the opinion that he deserved this, as he most certainly did not.

What troubled me is the way he endangered others on track. He was quite ruthless. Just funny how people tend to overlook that aspect.

I wish him and his family all the best.

Quick Reply: Bad news-Schumi