john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Excellent presentation!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Fantastic, informative post. Great to see the effort and changes Porsche made to the GT3.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This is an excellent post!
(A nice break from all the stop sale talk).
Great description of the of the suspension.

I was told by a few Porsche mechanics that the main reason that Porsche advises against Slicks on the 991GT3 is nothing to do with the suspension or rear wheel steering. It's because they want you to trade up to a Cup car & all the maintenance issues they had with the previous center locks; what's your opinion of this?

Thanks for starting this.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:44 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Great post. Thank u
Old 04-08-2014, 03:07 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I read the whole thing. This was exactly what I needed to make me be more "forgiving" of the delay. Thank you so much for sharing. If I may, I have a three questions:

1-When I added negative camber to -3, the caster increased significantly as you point out. It increased to a point that the tires were rubbing on full turn and turning in (on the street, not the track) felt less precise. You mention that it would have helped grip; does that apply to track speeds only?

2-Because of the majorly increased caster, we replaced the lower control arm bushings with those from the 996/997 GT3. I had to buy the whole contol arm and extract and subsequently compress the bushings into the 991 lower control arms. You nicely illustrate the 991 bushings as being more rigid. Do you think I am compromising my handling much by changing to the 996/7 lower arm control bushings? All other bushings are left untouched.

3-This is a little redundant but perhaps I'm tryuing to sum up an answer: is it theoretically best to leave the stock bushings, with a negative camber out to a max of -3 and a resultant massive caster that the wheel looks absurdly pushed to the front than what I did? I realize you don't have real data, am just looking for a hypothetical answer.

Thanks again for a wonderful post.
Sam

Hi Sam, all good questions.

1- There are two ways to increase camber (a) at the strut top camber plate (b) by extending the lower control arm. Method (a) does not cause an increase in caster angle. Method (b) does increase the caster angle.

The reason this happens with (b), as the lower control arm is lengthened it does not extend straight out. Instead the diagonal member attached to the bushing in the middle of the lower control arm
forces an arc path to be followed. The ball joint end of the lower control arm is drawn forward and caster is increased.

This picture illustrates what happens:

2- The old style 996/997 GT3 lower control arms managed this by have two positions for the diagonal member to attach, thus creating two caster positions and allowing at least a crude compensation for
the lengthened control arm. Note the intersecting holes drilled in the bushing. This is what your car has had retrofit.

Buying those 996 GT3 control arms is really the long way around (read expensive) to getting the caster reducing bushings. We have a product to solve this problem. Our product provides a solid bushing
replacement that is rotatable to provide caster adjustment. It has more range than the 996 GT3 bushes, and is adjustable instead of 2 position limited.

Here is our caster adjuster installed on a regular control arm (non-GT3), but if fits the GT3 front arms too.

The caster adjuster is on our website here

3- It would be best to replace the stock bushings with well-extended lower control arms. As you experienced, tire rub can happen and you likely have excessive caster at that point.

Last edited by Elephant Chuck; 04-08-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nan P
I was told by a few Porsche mechanics that the main reason that Porsche advises against Slicks on the 991GT3 is nothing to do with the suspension or rear wheel steering. It's because they want you to trade up to a Cup car & all the maintenance issues they had with the previous center locks; what's your opinion of this?
I see no technical reason this car can't run slicks. The Cup cars run slicks and have essentially the same suspension. We'll be getting up close and personal with a 991 GT3 Cup car to really identify the differences soon.

On the Cup cars, I expect to see more spherical bearings in place of rubber, no rear steer, bladed swaybars - we'll see.

I suspect there are non-technical motives for the no-slick policy.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 008
Great write up on your site. Are the stiffer bushings and solid subframe mounts able to be used on the 991S? What about the height adjustable springs and shocks? Thanks.

The stiffer rubber bushings are not available separately from Porsche. And with one exception, the rear suspension arms of the GT3 do not fit on the 991.

As an even higher performance alternative to stiffer rubber, we do have available spherical bearings to replace all the rubber bushings on the 991 suspension arms. Info here on the sphericals

The GT3 coilovers will not fit the 991.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:02 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

What a an intelligent, thoughtful objective and most importantly, qualified write-up; just the sort of thing to keep the trolls away. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 AM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the detailed differences between Carrera and GT3 suspension components. This makes the GT3 so much more special. Hopefully we'll soon get passed all the BS and start appreciating and sharing our set ups and experiences.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:10 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Great post, thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 01:28 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Elephant Chuck
Hi Sam, all good questions.

1- There are two ways to increase camber (a) at the strut top camber plate (b) by extending the lower control arm. Method (a) does not cause an increase in caster angle. Method (b) does increase the caster angle.

The reason this happens with (b), as the lower control arm is lengthened it does not extend straight out. Instead the diagonal member attached to the bushing in the middle of the lower control arm
forces an arc path to be followed. The ball joint end of the lower control arm is drawn forward and caster is increased.

2- The old style 996/997 GT3 lower control arms managed this by have two positions for the diagonal member to attach, thus creating two caster positions and allowing at least a crude compensation for
the lengthened control arm. Note the intersecting holes drilled in the bushing. This is what your car has had retrofit

Buying those 996 GT3 control arms is really the long way around (read expensive) to getting the caster reducing bushings. We have a product to solve this problem. Our product provides a solid bushing
replacement that is rotatable to provide caster adjustment. It has more range than the 996 GT3 bushes, and is adjustable instead of 2 position limited.

Here is our caster adjuster installed on a regular control arm (non-GT3), but if fits the GT3 front arms too.

3- It would be best to replace the stock bushings with well-extended lower control arms. As you experienced, tire rub can happen and you likely have excessive caster at that point.
Thank you for a most comprehensive response. I did not know about your products before so will definitely bookmark you! Thanks again for taking the time to explain this.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
3-This is a little redundant but perhaps I'm tryuing to sum up an answer: is it theoretically best to leave the stock bushings, with a negative camber out to a max of -3 and a resultant massive caster that the wheel looks absurdly pushed to the front than what I did? I realize you don't have real data, am just looking for a hypothetical answer.
Sam: Just get an adjustable thrust arm when they become available for 991. See link for example.

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...010-detail.htm

It's a much better solution to caster adjustment vs trying to work with limited adjustment offered by adjustable thrust arm bushings.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 PM
GioF
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wonderful job!!!! Bravoooo!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Sam: Just get an adjustable thrust arm when they become available for 991. See link for example.

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...010-detail.htm

It's a much better solution to caster adjustment vs trying to work with limited adjustment offered by adjustable thrust arm bushings.
Thanks. I will bookmark this as well then delete all if I jump ship and get a P13 or Z06
Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up and sharing of the information. Really appreciated

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Suspension Overview