Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moved MY2014 to MY2015

Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Agreed so September is the first month for 2015 builds.
Nope.

Originally Posted by skuplist
As a result I believe they will finish 2014 production including new engine builds by end July.
Nope.

MY2015 starting soon...you'll see.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 AM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

Can somebody just fly to Los Angeles and shoot me now????
Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RUF RS
Can somebody just fly to Los Angeles and shoot me now????
I am booked on the 6 AM flight from Monterey to arrive at LAX at 7:14 AM. Please pick me up on time. I have return flight at 9:00AM. For obvious reasons, I can't fly with my weapon...so I'll use yours. Any handgun will do but I prefer a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum if available since I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images   
Old 04-15-2014, 12:44 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Nope. Nope. MY2015 starting soon...you'll see. Saludos, Eduardo Carmel
Don't keep us (ME!) in suspense! How long will the replacement engines take to produce?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 0Q991
Don't keep us (ME!) in suspense! How long will the replacement engines take to produce?
That's a different question. We are talking about when the MY2015 will start...for the entire 991 model range, including the gt3 model. That is coming sooner than many of you think.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 AM
0Q991
Drifting

That's a different question. We are talking about when the MY2015 will start...for the entire 991 model range, including the gt3 model. That is coming sooner than many of you think. Saludos, Eduardo Carmel
Okay...

Let me rephrase my question then--can you shed light on how long it will take to produce the replacement engines for the 2014 GT3?

As a separate question, will production for all 2015 991 models start by June?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 AM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

Thank you Eduardo!!!! I will be at curbside pick up, United, Terminal 6 at 7:15 Sharp. I have a small satellite office right near LAX, on Century Blvd. We can get the whole thing done in 5 minutes. Before you know what happened (or I should say, before I KNOW what happened), you will be on your flight back to Monterey........

I am booked on the 6 AM flight from Monterey to arrive at LAX at 7:14 AM. Please pick me up on time. I have return flight at 9:00AM. For obvious reasons, I can't fly with my weapon...so I'll use yours. Any handgun will do but I prefer a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum if available since I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 04-15-2014, 02:44 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Thank you Eduardo!!!! I will be at curbside pick up, United, Terminal 6 at 7:15 Sharp. I have a small satellite office right near LAX, on Century Blvd. We can get the whole thing done in 5 minutes. Before you know what happened (or I should say, before I KNOW what happened), you will be on your flight back to Monterey........
I do appreciate you being on time because I do need to make it back here to Carmel by noon. I have a lunch date with Doris Day at the Cypress Inn! So I can't miss that 9 AM return flight.

how long it will take to produce the replacement engines for the 2014 GT3?
No. I don't know. But my guess is that they'll put an extra shift on the engine production line at Zuffenhausen and get gt3 motors cranking out (pun intended) right after the April date you have already been told they'll start. Then they'll be airfreighted to their destinations.

As a separate question, will production for all 2015 991 models start by June?
I have no insider information on this question. But from studying recent Porsche model year changes, the new MY2015 configurator, MY2015 991 US dealer allocation schedules, etc, it seems entirely plausible that MY2015 could start in June...or even earlier. We have had instances for certain models (e.g. MY2011 gt3 RS or MY2012 Boxster Spyders) where the MY production started extremely early - in March or April! It is all predicated in a variety of factors - compliance with country regulations at vehicle's destinations, Euro-Cycle emissions deadlines, supplier issues (just-in-time/just-in-sequence logistics), etc.

Lucky for Porsche, this is NOT a facelift year re: the 991! So the model year changes are minimal. For sure, there is a Euro-Cycle 6 emissions deadline on 1st September, but we don't know how that will impact the MY2015 991 engines*, and in particular, the not-so-economical NA gt3 motor! Late last year, as many of you might recall, Macca was concerned it might be a defining factor for the gt3...and even the gt3 RS. He had heard rumors from Porsche insiders that production of those two models were going to be rushed into completion BEFORE that deadline! See post #13 in thread below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11204847

Now, as Macca has informed me recently via email, he believes that the automobile industry in Germany has been given a reprieve and some of the more restricting emissions standards have been postponed so as to NOT hurt the German economy. That is understandable given the large footprint of the automotive sector in 'das' Fatherland.

In summary, we really don't know for sure. But it should not come as a surprise to keen observers of PAG here at Rennlist if MY2015 production (especially of gt3's) starts really SOON! Especially now that we know that Porsche wants to minimize the number of MY2014 gt3's and shift them into MY2015 to limit the extra compensation they'll have to pay on each suspended (e.g. no-yet-finished) MY2014 model.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*So far we know 991 Turbo & Turbo S have met that tough Cycle 6 standard. The reason you are seeing so many smaller displacement turbo-engined .2 991 (non Turbo Model) test mules in spy shots is because Porsche is working hard to meet those future Cycle-6 emissions standards that are coming sooner...or later.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Eduardo. Fantastic email. Your memory is excellent. Your knowledge too. Makes some of my communications look very clumsy!

I believe the current GT3 dilemma may have played havoc with Porsches calender for that model. The next "scratch" produced GT3s are likely to be MY 2015 as you say which could come as soon as late May but my suspicion is June. However I would be surprised in light of current circumstances Porsche continue to produce the GT3 in volume beyond October. The 991 GT3RS timetable is rumoured to have slipped. Again its essential both of these models complete their production before further changes in Euro emissions compliance regulations. German auto industry bought a rain cheque (largely arguing on the basis of GFC economics and the final revival of the Euro auto industry) but I suspect Europe is returning to form quicker than anticipated, Euro car manufacturers are again posting significant profits, and legislation may be back with a vengeance in 2015. Its very hard to understand if Porsche have the fortitude to continue with a thirsty NA engine for GT3 in future model generations, but I sure hope so. The good thing about the volume Macan is it will be lowering their product mix emissions average rating...
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 AM
0Q991
Drifting

I do appreciate you being on time because I do need to make it back here to Carmel by noon. I have a lunch date with Doris Day at the Cypress Inn! So I can't miss that 9 AM return flight. No. I don't know. But my guess is that they'll put an extra shift on the engine production line at Zuffenhausen and get gt3 motors cranking out (pun intended) right after the April date you have already been told they'll start. Then they'll be airfreighted to their destinations. I have no insider information on this question. But from studying recent Porsche model year changes, the new MY2015 configurator, MY2015 991 US dealer allocation schedules, etc, it seems entirely plausible that MY2015 could start in June...or even earlier. We have had instances for certain models (e.g. MY2011 gt3 RS or MY2012 Boxster Spyders) where the MY production started extremely early - in March or April! It is all predicated in a variety of factors - compliance with country regulations at vehicle's destinations, Euro-Cycle emissions deadlines, supplier issues (just-in-time/just-in-sequence logistics), etc. Lucky for Porsche, this is NOT a facelift year re: the 991! So the model year changes are minimal. For sure, there is a Euro-Cycle 6 emissions deadline on 1st September, but we don't know how that will impact the MY2015 991 engines*, and in particular, the not-so-economical NA gt3 motor! Late last year, as many of you might recall, Macca was concerned it might be a defining factor for the gt3...and even the gt3 RS. He had heard rumors from Porsche insiders that production of those two models were going to be rushed into completion BEFORE that deadline! See post #13 in thread below: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11204847 Now, as Macca has informed me recently via email, he believes that the automobile industry in Germany has been given a reprieve and some of the more restricting emissions standards have been postponed so as to NOT hurt the German economy. That is understandable given the large footprint of the automotive sector in 'das' Fatherland. In summary, we really don't know for sure. But it should not come as a surprise to keen observers of PAG here at Rennlist if MY2015 production (especially of gt3's) starts really SOON! Especially now that we know that Porsche wants to minimize the number of MY2014 gt3's and shift them into MY2015 to limit the extra compensation they'll have to pay on each suspended (e.g. no-yet-finished) MY2014 model. Saludos, Eduardo Carmel *So far we know 991 Turbo & Turbo S have met that tough Cycle 6 standard. The reason you are seeing so many smaller displacement turbo-engined .2 991 (non Turbo Model) test mules in spy shots is because Porsche is working hard to meet those future Cycle-6 emissions standards that are coming sooner...or later.
Thank you for your insight--appreciated.

Air freight (versus shipping by boat) would certainly be welcome and vastly preferred. An extra 4-6 weeks just for transit would not ideal by any means...
Old 04-15-2014, 11:00 AM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Another option M718 situation? With MY14 GT3 being given a MY15 VIN but without all the production line changes that will take place between MY14-MY15? In which case, long term MY14 owners won't take a $$$ hit for owning a MY14...
^this is what happened with the delivery of my '11RS in May 2010.
I essentially got a MY'10 equipped car w/ a MY'11 MSRP/VIN #.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-WNqutubmh4Yn/fletch_1985_the_answer/
Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

I wonder if it is cheaper to air freight "X" amount of engines say to Rhode Island than to send them by ship and pay close to $2000--$3000 per vehicle extra to us potential owners because of transit time, via ship. hmmm!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I wonder if it is cheaper to air freight "X" amount of engines say to Rhode Island than to send them by ship and pay close to $2000--$3000 per vehicle extra to us potential owners because of transit time, via ship. hmmm!!!
Let's just hope that for whatever the reason, they go via air freight. Even if decided by Magic 8 Ball!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Question - There has been various views and supposedly confirmations that the engines will be replaced at the Dealer and then also at the Port. If given the choice what would some prefer and why?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moved MY2014 to MY2015