Sponsored by:

Buy Back

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buy Back

I have read all the posts here since this Stop Sale "volcano" began. Don't recall seeing any posts where a Buy Back was actually started or completed. If anyone has any info on this I would like to have details on how the process worked.

Did the Dealer buy it or did it have to be done thru
Porsche?
What were the "steps" that had to be followed ?
What categories of additional compensation were
included or refused?

I am close to doing this, any info is appreciated.

Allan
Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm hoping the price on the buy back GT3's or people selling the engine-replaced ones, will come on the market at good prices. I'd love to upgrade my 991S.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

PCNA will have to authorize the buy back, not the dealer. They will authorize it if you request it, per PCNA. If they buy it back, I doubt there will be any compensation offered because they fulfilled their legal obligation but that part I am not sure about. To initiate the process, call PCNA and request it. They will try their best to talk you out of it but if that is what you really want, it will happen. As to how long the process actually takes and when to get your money back, no clue but they should be able to tell you. Good luck.
I'm hanging on to mine. Waiting on more red kevlar/carbon fiber parts (door sill covers) and exhaust.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I had the buy back conversation with the rep who called me yesterday. What Sam says above is correct. I'll just add that I was told that the paperwork and buyback process would take 2 to 3 weeks to complete. I didn't delve into it too deeply but my understanding was that, as Sam points out, there would be no additional compensation.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

I always decline to sign the arbitration document (allowed in TX) when I buy a new car. Check this out and weep:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8104...new-video.html
Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam, That video makes me even more unhappy with the GT3 situation. It makes me question why, even with compensation, I would want to support Porsche. Allan
Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy back to include purchase price, taxes, registration, dealer prep and other fees, interest paid, etc?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:31 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

honestly, I'd hold onto it. Most likely you have other toys to play with in the mean time. It's my own pure speculation, but I have a feeling that the '14 GT3 will be a collectible car down the road as long as it's as good as has been advertised (from a performance aspect). Think about it, it's the first year of a new engine design and even though the '14's will have replaced engines, they'll all be like that and it's from the factory, so I don't see a problem with that as the numbers will correspond with the cars in the paperwork. Also, many firsts for the '14, first year of PDK (like it or hate it, it's hear to stay most likely and the benefits are undeniable, even if they do take some of the fun out of rowing through the gears), as well as being the first year for rear wheel steering which is sure to be a watershed moment that was a huge performance advancement. Take all of that into consideration with the very low numbers of the 2014 model year due to the stop sale and I see this as a future collectible. I know it must suck during the stop sale and Porsche certainly hasn't been very communicative (at least in our community here on Rennlist), but they're German, they have a problem, they say nothing until it's fixed and then offer you a car that is incredible. Here in the US we've gotten too soft and too accustomed to Valet Parking and a Valet lifestyle and expect everyone to jump at our feet. Truth is, I guarantee once the fix is done and people start receiving their GT3's back, people will forget about this entire fiasco and start raving about how good the 991 GT3's really are and then the RS lists will be overflowing with people who want to throw their money at it. My advice, baton down the hatches, loosen your tie and wait it out, I really think it'll be worth it! That's just my $.02.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ Refreshing point of view. Bravo!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 AM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

You must be kidding to think the '14 GT3 will be a collectible
Will be viewed as the early 996's are, a work-in-progress for Porsche, and value will follow similar path.

Allan, its not worth the worry. Your car will not be back until June at the earliest. Life is too short--take the money and enjoy something else. You can always come back for a '15 when (if) they straighten the problems out. I feel the same way about Porsche, from my GT3 & Cayenne experiences, could only imagine the 991 GT3 mess.

Bill
Old 04-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I do not believe collectible would be the way I see this unfolding but your positive outlook is admirable. But I do agree that the replaced engines will be, if not equal, better than before and should be bullet proof. I am glad they are taking their time to get this perfect although it is driving me crazy. I also believe the 2014/15 GT3 run will be a shortened and this car will be in high demand, no matter which year, and depreciation is not going to be a factor. But no one can predict the future and it is important we fight to protect our investment.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
honestly, I'd hold onto it. Most likely you have other toys to play with in the mean time. It's my own pure speculation, but I have a feeling that the '14 GT3 will be a collectible car down the road as long as it's as good as has been advertised (from a performance aspect). Think about it, it's the first year of a new engine design and even though the '14's will have replaced engines, they'll all be like that and it's from the factory, so I don't see a problem with that as the numbers will correspond with the cars in the paperwork. Also, many firsts for the '14, first year of PDK (like it or hate it, it's hear to stay most likely and the benefits are undeniable, even if they do take some of the fun out of rowing through the gears), as well as being the first year for rear wheel steering which is sure to be a watershed moment that was a huge performance advancement. Take all of that into consideration with the very low numbers of the 2014 model year due to the stop sale and I see this as a future collectible. I know it must suck during the stop sale and Porsche certainly hasn't been very communicative (at least in our community here on Rennlist), but they're German, they have a problem, they say nothing until it's fixed and then offer you a car that is incredible. Here in the US we've gotten too soft and too accustomed to Valet Parking and a Valet lifestyle and expect everyone to jump at our feet. Truth is, I guarantee once the fix is done and people start receiving their GT3's back, people will forget about this entire fiasco and start raving about how good the 991 GT3's really are and then the RS lists will be overflowing with people who want to throw their money at it. My advice, baton down the hatches, loosen your tie and wait it out, I really think it'll be worth it! That's just my $.02.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Sam, That video makes me even more unhappy with the GT3 situation. It makes me question why, even with compensation, I would want to support Porsche. Allan
I'd have to agree...
Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
It's my own pure speculation, but I have a feeling that the '14 GT3 will be a collectible car down the road as long as it's as good as has been advertised (from a performance aspect).
Ha ha, yeah, no.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I'd have to agree...
Agreed. I've seen most of Nick's videos--he was beyond patient with the process. Not sure there's a more clear cut case.

Quick Reply: Buy Back