Sponsored by: Road Spy

Experience with cold-ish driving on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:48 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with cold-ish driving on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires

Anyone have experience driving around on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S shoes in cold-ish weather? I'm just asking about driving around town in 35 and over in the dry or 40's in wet? No snow, and no below freezing - just getting around town...
I found this article suggesting that the performance was better than expected in the cold but it didn't say *how* cold.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:20 AM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

While you can adjust your driving technique which can be fun, why take a chance? In my area , deer are a constant concern . I would be sick if I wrecked because I didn’t use cold weather tires.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was out yesterday in the turbo. 40* and dry. No noticeable performance issues. If you are planning on basic, straight and level driving with no hard acceleration or cornering, they should be fine. Add in wet roads and you'll have to be very careful.

As always, another set of wheels with snows or at least all seasons are always the best solution.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:38 AM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've driven my CR with new MPS4Ss in November in Chicago when temps were mid- to high-40s, dry conditions, normal driving. They were fine. I draw the line at 45 degrees, though, not from experience, but more from general caution based on general forum feedback on high performance summer tires.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Fineito, I think that's prudent. I largely answered my own question yesterday when I drove around the block. Temp was about 40 and while it hasn't rained there was a bit of condensation on the ground from fog. I tested the braking on one of those damp patches and the fronts locked up and started ABS chattering under very moderate braking so these tires are definitely OUT for me for the late fall, winter and early spring in the PNW.

Looking now at another wheel and all-season tire setup. Possibly HRE Ultraleggera?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:08 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Super_K
Fineito, I think that's prudent. I largely answered my own question yesterday when I drove around the block. Temp was about 40 and while it hasn't rained there was a bit of condensation on the ground from fog. I tested the braking on one of those damp patches and the fronts locked up and started ABS chattering under very moderate braking so these tires are definitely OUT for me for the late fall, winter and early spring in the PNW.

Looking now at another wheel and all-season tire setup. Possibly HRE Ultraleggera?
Any of the flow forged wheels will work well and are reasonably inexpensive (under $3k for a set). I went with the new HRE design and had looked hard at Vorsteiner’s options and those OZs.

I had a great 997 GTS before this car and got it into an accident driving PSS tires in winter. I was in a freak snowfall and hit a bump in a construction zone on a freeway onramp at about 45mph. The front end was fine but it kicked the rear of the car out by about 30 degrees faster than I could blink and I wasn’t able to recover it. (Apparently that day they had half a dozen one car accidents in that exact spot and not half an hour after my incident a guy rolled his car there!) I went off the road into the weeds and had to make a surprisingly large insurance claim to get the car put back together properly.

With proper tires I’d have never had an issue. I decided to never make that mistake again. My TT is on winter tires that are well suited to the temperature range.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:11 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Anyone have experience driving around on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S shoes in cold-ish weather? I'm just asking about driving around town in 35 and over in the dry or 40's in wet? No snow, and no below freezing - just getting around town...
I found this article suggesting that the performance was better than expected in the cold but it didn't say *how* cold.
I drove to brunch today in temperatures that were 35 degrees in Atlanta. No snow or ice on the roads though. I would never drive this car in snowy or icy conditions on summer tires. But the Michelin's seem to be fine at 35 degrees.

Interestingly I did drive my wife's C300 4MATIC on snow on friday on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires, and the grip level was very impressive. Had no problems whatsoever driving up and downhill on fresh powder.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I drove to brunch today in temperatures that were 35 degrees in Atlanta. No snow or ice on the roads though. I would never drive this car in snowy or icy conditions on summer tires. But the Michelin's seem to be fine at 35 degrees.

Interestingly I did drive my wife's C300 4MATIC on snow on friday on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ tires, and the grip level was very impressive. Had no problems whatsoever driving up and downhill on fresh powder.

I should add that with only about 50'ish miles on the car there's likely to be release compound on the tires still so between that and the cold rubber and ground there just wasn't much traction here. Now I need to decide if I should put all-season tires on the second set of wheels or actual winter tires. Anyone know if there are good light-winter or heavier all-seasons tires for these cars?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:50 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

I should add that with only about 50'ish miles on the car there's likely to be release compound on the tires still so between that and the cold rubber and ground there just wasn't much traction here. Now I need to decide if I should put all-season tires on the second set of wheels or actual winter tires. Anyone know if there are good light-winter or heavier all-seasons tires for these cars?
I'm not having any problems with mine on the TTS in the same conditions. Perhaps you just need to break in the tires. Or perhaps you need to check the alignment. You should have the alignment done annually on these cars.

If you have two sets of tires I would go with winters on the second set for the optimal snow capability. If you do only one set and want light snow capability then the AS3+ is a great choice based on my recent snow experience with that tire on the Mercedes.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:27 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I’ve been very impressed with the Alpins as a cold weather tire. Last year the g meter was over 1.0g peak in all directions at just 26F. Great tire. We have a backup SUV if it gets messy outside. I just hate to park the car simply because it’s cold outside.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

I was thinking about going all-seasons on a second set of wheels for the 'off season' since I do also have a Macan. If we want to go up into the mountains, or when it's cold or just really crappy weather I'm usually driving that anyway. Definitely if it's snowing in town I'll be driving the Macan so I'm maybe leaning away from full winters. It doesn't snow very often up here in the PNW anyway.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Definitely also look at tire pressures. Dealers set these cars at crazy/stupid high pressure out the door. Set them down to 35/38 for street driving (or lower) and it will help a lot.

Set the TPM to partial load, comfort pressure, summer tires for year round use...even in the Winter.

Last edited by Randyc151; 12-11-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I drive mine all year in Nashville as long as it's dry. A little moderation in driving style has kept me out trouble. Actually drove it to work this morning. The car showed 31F outside temp. No issues whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Definitely also look at tire pressures. Dealers set these cars at crazy/stupid high pressure out the door. Set them down to 35/38 for street driving (or lower) and it will help a lot.

Set the TPM to partial load, comfort pressure, summer tires for year round use...even in the Winter.
I never understood the difference between partial load and full load. The Owner's Manual does not provide a description either. Do you know the difference between the two?

BTW, sorry to hijack the thread.

Quick Reply: Experience with cold-ish driving on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires