Rennlist Member

Received 3,873 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Kline....
Old 02-18-2024, 08:44 PM
mattbarrett10
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarienA
Had a Soul X-Pipe(with soul cats) installed on Monday, kept my OEM tips. Very happy with the sound. Was a definitely concerned about drone and happily I'm not getting that at any RPM level/gear that I've noticed yet.
are you getting pops? im curious. Im not a fan of the popping but looking for something that sounds better
Old 02-18-2024, 08:50 PM
mattbarrett10
AutoX

Originally Posted by stef@europipe
The current price of our Europipe 991.2 Turbo S 100 cell sport exhaust is $4,180 USD. There’s no drone at any rpm in any gear.

Here’s what a customer wrote me a couple of weeks ago:

Now that I have been driving the car with the Europipe for a few weeks I wanted to tell you how pleased I am with it. It is fantastic, a perfect harmony of sound amplitude and quality. I especially like how it sounds powerful and refined at the same time without me needing to push a button like on the new factory systems or on competititve aftermarket exhausts. This car with your exhaust sounds amazing, whether on light throttle or full throttle!

Not sure where you are located but maybe I can get you in contact with one of our customers.

does it cause the popping?? I don't like the popping at all but looking for something to bring in bigger noise. just no pop.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:54 PM
mattbarrett10
AutoX

Originally Posted by the_buch
Another happy Europipe Stage I customer here. Perfect balance of growl and civility for me. An aspect of the EP design is to use the shape and materials of the cans to produce great sound without any stuffing materials. As Stef explained to me it's the same way a guitar works with its cavity spec. I did have most of the unnecessary Sport Mode snaps, crackles and pops programmed out by FVD with my tune which was also able to take advantage of Stef's fine product. Final touch was dual Soul tips in jet black ceramic.

Wait you can actually program out the pops and crackles. forgive my ignorance but who is fvd and how do you un-program that.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:43 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
How well do the 100 cell cats work, if you are using them?
I'm curious if 100 cell cats do enough to mitigate the exhaust smell?
l have Stage 1 Europipe with 100 cell cats. I have no smell and great sound.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
l have Stage 1 Europipe with 100 cell cats. I have no smell and great sound.
I think it's important to have no smell and great sound.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024, 10:39 PM
Matty's World
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Did OP end up getting an exhaust ?
Old 02-19-2024, 10:46 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

So I've been eyeing on this thread and others re exhausts for a while and it seems that most of exhaust MAY create some drones although some report nothing with exactly same set up. Why is that? What is cat back exhaust set up that doesn't create drone for sure? I'm in CA and not really interested in getting aftermarket cats. Thank you for your advices in advance.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:26 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by snuvet75
So I've been eyeing on this thread and others re exhausts for a while and it seems that most of exhaust MAY create some drones although some report nothing with exactly same set up. Why is that? What is cat back exhaust set up that doesn't create drone for sure? I'm in CA and not really interested in getting aftermarket cats. Thank you for your advices in advance.
I have Soul X Pipe. No drone that I can notice.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:34 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

Same, no drone with any of our 991 turbo X-Pipes.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 02-21-2024, 04:17 PM
Foosh
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts

The problem with exchanging impressions on internet forums is that what sounds wonderful, perfect amount of sound, no drone, etc., to one person, will be obnoxious, too loud, and resonate at a frequency that gives someone else a headache. Judging sound from the many videos posted on the internet is also misleading due to differences in how they were recorded.

Several wise folks with vast Porsche experience are telling me that unless I can find and drive a car with an exhaust that I really like, I shouldn't take that leap because I might be very unhappy with it. I'm just looking for deeper resonance, not necessarily a lot louder, with only a mild burble on deceleration-no firecracker displays.

My other concern is that the 991.1 TTS I purchased 9 months ago, has 1.3 years left of CPO, and I purchased a 5-year powertrain warranty that I do not want to jeopardize. Inquiries made to my Porsche dealer on that subject have been unsuccessful. It's like they do not want to make any promises in that regard or even comment on it.

Should there be anyone in the DC metro area with a cat-back Soul or Europipe exhaust I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, after researching this for months now, unless I can get definitive answers to my concerns, I think I'll stay OEM as long as warranties are in effect.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-21-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:32 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Matty's World
Did OP end up getting an exhaust ?
LOL..........right?
Old 02-22-2024, 02:09 PM
Doug Carmel
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MotoJB
I wanted as aggressive as I can get, without drone...and without breaking the bank. In addition, I live in California and really need the ability to run my OEM cats if need be. That limited my options fairly substantially, as many aftermarket systems come with their own cats, or cats that wouldn't be CA legal.

Very happy with my FVD Brombacher setup...very inexpensive compared to most of these other exhaust options ($1900)...quality german made by M&M.

Mated with Soul performance bypass tubes, it's about as aggressive as you can get, minus the bad drone of catless, basically straight pipe setups (when using Sharkwerks, Quicksilver, SpeedTech, etc). In normal driving/cruising, there is a bit of drone but never to where it bothers me and I'm very drone sensitive.

As said, this FVD setup allows me to throw my stock cats back on if I need to for the CA smog ****'s.

My friend is running the Sharkwerks catless setup and his is definitely a bit louder and more-aggressive, with considerable more drone in the cabin.

All my buddies are telling me my car sounds great from behind. Loud burbles/pops in sport plus.

Flames too.

Sport Muffler 991.2 Turbo / S - Brombacher - Sound Version - For OEM Cats and Tips
Great, do you have any video so we can hear the sound of the FVD? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:11 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,873 Likes on 2,949 Posts

He sold his car, and at the end, he had the boost logic titanium, which was fantastic.
The following users liked this post:
Doug Carmel (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 02:26 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,465 Posts

...it seems that most of exhaust MAY create some drones although some report nothing with exactly same set up. Why is that?
When most people talk about exhaust "drone", what they really mean is that they are hearing an exhaust with a notable resonance frequency, and that resonance frequency is to their ears unpleasant and occurs at a rpm range that they spend a good deal of time in. The reality is that *every* exhaust system is going to have a resonance frequency... Is that resonance going to be unpleasant to your ears? Most ears? Few ears? Is that resonance frequency going to occur at an RPM that you spend lots of time in?

Example: I virtually always run my Turbo in Sport mode, and Sport plus occasionally. Almost never in normal mode. And frequently in full manual mode. So my RPM levels are higher than someone who spends lots of time just cruising down flat, straight roads in normal mode. If my exhaust has a bit of a resonance at 2,000 RPM, it wouldn't bother me at all since I spend almost no time at that RPM. But it might drive someone else crazy.

Another example: It is that same 'resonance frequency' that makes some exhausts sound glorious... Listen to a Ferrari 355 or 458 exhaust. That glorious sound is the resonance of the exhaust/engine, but occurring at a much higher frequency. It might be grating as hell to some people, but musical perfection to others....

So my suggestion is take no ones opinion on what 'drones' or doesn't drone, what is too loud or too soft, but listen to as many as you can IN PERSON (recorded sound can be wildly misleading) under different driving conditions and decide for yourself what you love or don't love. Or be willing to try multiple combos on your own car until you get your own perfection. I went through five permutations of exhaust on my 991 Turbo before getting what I wanted. Some of the ones I didn't love others did, some might not love what I think is perfect.

Last edited by pfbz; 02-22-2024 at 02:28 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by pfbz:
Big Swole (02-28-2024), Foosh (02-22-2024), gyh (02-23-2024), Need4S (02-22-2024)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo S exhaust recommendation?