Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

60-130 MPH times with BIG turbo????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 10:05 AM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 60-130 MPH times with BIG turbo????

Hey all,
I asked this on a different page, but I was getting some conflicting responses.
I am curious what a 900 rwhp and 700 rwtq would run in the 60-130 on an average???
Just regular runs, no "best of..." or "my kill tune has given me a..."
Basically, just a 991 turbo that has a large turbo kit, meth, all the bolt-ons and a proper and custom tune running on normal mode, not sports or anything.
Thanks
Old 01-14-2022, 10:39 AM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,094 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Hey all,
I am curious what a 900 rwhp and 700 rwtq would run in the 60-130 on an average???
Basically, just a 991 turbo that has a large turbo kit, meth, all the bolt-ons and a proper and custom tune running on normal mode, not sports or anything.
Thanks
What times are you getting ?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:38 AM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

onfireTTS, currently I am in the tuning phase. I was dyno'ed and then when I got home everything ran like crap. So I am making runs and sending datalogs and dragy images to my tuner. this is why i am asking. I have heard that I should be in the high to mid 4 secs... others have said mid to low 5 seconds....
My tuner is telling me that I should be in the mid to low 5 second range, but i have had other people (many of which I trust) state the 4 sec and some 5... so i dont know what to make of it.
I want to make sure this car is running correctly with all the other cars that have this particular kit and tuning....
if I am a second off everyone else, then that is something I need to address.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:40 AM
Zac89
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Which kit did you go with?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:50 AM
vrybad
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 315 Posts

I would say anywhere from low 5's to mid 4's depending on the setup.
I think it takes about 900whp to get solidly into the mid 4's.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:39 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

onfireTTS, currently I am in the tuning phase. I was dyno'ed and then when I got home everything ran like crap. So I am making runs and sending datalogs and dragy images to my tuner. this is why i am asking. I have heard that I should be in the high to mid 4 secs... others have said mid to low 5 seconds....
My tuner is telling me that I should be in the mid to low 5 second range, but i have had other people (many of which I trust) state the 4 sec and some 5... so i dont know what to make of it.
I want to make sure this car is running correctly with all the other cars that have this particular kit and tuning....
if I am a second off everyone else, then that is something I need to address.
Two guys here in totally different locations with STOCK 991.2 turbos, bolt ons, @SamboTT@ByDesign custom tune have gone 5.1's with METH. Without METH they are probably around 5.8 My car with exhaust, 100 cell cats, Sam tune goes 6.0x

Sam can give you a real world estimate....but you would think that big turbos and METH should be mid 4ish properly tuned.....
The following users liked this post:
bigrpowr (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:23 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 925 Likes on 565 Posts

Hey guys, hey Jeff.
I know we have some power-heads on the FB page that may confuse you. Especially when talking about a 720 on E85 lol. With about 900 wheel average you should see 4.8-5.0 on a good running car. TQ has a lot to do with it too. Any faster can depend on so many variables. I will say this. Low to mid 4's are in the risky territory and can eventually hurt a stock motor. I personally have had several cars do 4.2 and told them honestly we should back off a bit or reinforce the motor. Nothing to prove you know. Like Mike (bigrpwr). We had that conversation. He ran 9.21 on the stock motor for a .2 record. But be heard what I had to say. With a simple reinforcement he now runs 4.0 pretty much every day, anytime he wants day or night and we ran another record at an easy 8.9 on a 991.2 and went home happy. If the the kit is good and the tuner has experience it's easy. Even a 4.9 sec car can get hurt. Tuning has a lot to do with it but also there is no magic So an expectation of solid high 4's has proven safe with good tuning and hardware. Even on Stage4. Hope that helps.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
The following 2 users liked this post by SamboTT@ByDesign:
Pb Pedis (02-07-2022), vrybad (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:58 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Hey guys, hey Jeff.
I know we have some power-heads on the FB page that may confuse you. Especially when talking about a 720 on E85 lol. With about 900 wheel average you should see 4.8-5.0 on a good running car. TQ has a lot to do with it too. Any faster can depend on so many variables. I will say this. Low to mid 4's are in the risky territory and can eventually hurt a stock motor. I personally have had several cars do 4.2 and told them honestly we should back off a bit or reinforce the motor. Nothing to prove you know. Like Mike (bigrpwr). We had that conversation. He ran 9.21 on the stock motor for a .2 record. But be heard what I had to say. With a simple reinforcement he now runs 4.0 pretty much every day, anytime he wants day or night and we ran another record at an easy 8.9 on a 991.2 and went home happy. If the the kit is good and the tuner has experience it's easy. Even a 4.9 sec car can get hurt. Tuning has a lot to do with it but also there is no magic So an expectation of solid high 4's has proven safe with good tuning and hardware. Even on Stage4. Hope that helps.
Where would you feel safe on a 60-130 with a stock motor and your XR kit with Meth on a conservative tune and Dodson clutches ?
Old 01-14-2022, 06:00 PM
Zac89
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

And Sam, what "simple re-inforcement" to the motor did you guys do to run 4.0 consistently. Is that car running consistent 8.9s now too?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2022, 06:52 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I’ve got a lot of cars were a four second 60 to 130 on pump plus methanol has been our goal even with a stock clutch using our transmission software. It’s been good. I’ll go a little deeper in the fours with good monitoring and feel pretty comfortable with it. 4.5 too but quicker than kid 4’s the reality is that it’s a matter of time. I had one car trap 157 in the 1/4, 192-193 1/2 mile 4 or 5 times in a row and was doing 4.2 solid. We kept pushing it. That was about 1000 to the wheels and we turned it up a little more. We started to see the rods go. On purpose and we got lucky. Didn’t blow her up but started to lose a little compression. Somewhere around 1050 to the tires with a pretty responsible torque curve which crept its way up to about 777 actually. And the car was flying. No glory runs either always during the day or at an event. Otherwise, a couple other cars were OK and so was his car for a while until we started pushing a little more. Fatigue and strange anomaly’s are always a factor as well.

In regards to the reinforcement. Going to a 4.0 is just a simple step we can take if we want to. Otherwise you can do rods, head studs and gasket then call it a day. But we like to put in Motorsport pistons as well. I have a lot of those cars making up to 1100 at the wheels steady. As far as the 8.9 pass I’m sure we could’ve even gone faster. The only difference with this motor and the one I spoke of above, about 100 more foot pounds of torque maybe even 150. By the way that’s another reality I want to share. To run an eight second quarter mile on a full weight or slightly lightweight 991 turbo, you need to shove a lot of torque in there close to 900 at the wheels. It’s just not realistic to safely do that on a stock motor. But we were so happy that day we went home and enjoyed our families right before the holidays. We cut a 1.399 60 foot which is really great but not the best ever so I don’t see why we couldn’t run 8 all day. And the data was beautiful so I could’ve turned it up even on the stock computer with a stock fuel system. We are quite proud because there’s cars with several hundred more horsepower who still can’t beat that time and it is in fact the fastest 991.2. But on a stock ECU and fuel system. Could we have done it on the stock motor? Maybe. But it wouldn’t be worth it if we broke the car to hit that number you know? That’s another threshold by the way. I think once you get faster than the mid-nines the forces that you’re putting on the car could get you. Whether it’s from fatigue or bad luck. It’s all relative. Otherwise I think I’ve got 20 cars that I’ve gone below 9.5 on a stock motor. Hope that helps. I always try to keep it real.

so my opinion… After doing over 500 stage four cars with a very proven recipe and almost 100 XR cars… These two packages do it in a different way and they have different advantages when you say VTG upgrade or “big turbo“ backpressure and everything plays as well. The efficiency of the system which is why even though we can make a Vtg car outperform some big turbo cars there’s advantages to going that route. Anyhow getting into the mid to high fours is great and it should be pretty easily achievable with a good kit. Going any faster than 4.5 your risk of damage becomes greater and there’s many cars that have succumb to this. In a quarter mile once you go above 150 mph you’re starting to push the internals as well. Sorry for the long emails and probably bunch of simple typos. I hope this becomes a good reference for Geoff and others who ever take a look.

Cheers
The following 8 users liked this post by SamboTT@ByDesign:
Angryinch (12-06-2023), Archille (01-17-2022), Big Swole (01-18-2022), Dubbyfreshquire (01-16-2022), nismonian (01-17-2022), Pb Pedis (01-16-2022), Queksilber (10-16-2022), rodsky (01-24-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-14-2022, 07:45 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
I’ve got a lot of cars were a four second 60 to 130 on pump plus methanol has been our goal even with a stock clutch using our transmission software. It’s been good. I’ll go a little deeper in the fours with good monitoring and feel pretty comfortable with it. 4.5 too but quicker than kid 4’s the reality is that it’s a matter of time. I had one car trap 157 in the 1/4, 192-193 1/2 mile 4 or 5 times in a row and was doing 4.2 solid. We kept pushing it. That was about 1000 to the wheels and we turned it up a little more. We started to see the rods go. On purpose and we got lucky. Didn’t blow her up but started to lose a little compression. Somewhere around 1050 to the tires with a pretty responsible torque curve which crept its way up to about 777 actually. And the car was flying. No glory runs either always during the day or at an event. Otherwise, a couple other cars were OK and so was his car for a while until we started pushing a little more. Fatigue and strange anomaly’s are always a factor as well.

In regards to the reinforcement. Going to a 4.0 is just a simple step we can take if we want to. Otherwise you can do rods, head studs and gasket then call it a day. But we like to put in Motorsport pistons as well. I have a lot of those cars making up to 1100 at the wheels steady. As far as the 8.9 pass I’m sure we could’ve even gone faster. The only difference with this motor and the one I spoke of above, about 100 more foot pounds of torque maybe even 150. By the way that’s another reality I want to share. To run an eight second quarter mile on a full weight or slightly lightweight 991 turbo, you need to shove a lot of torque in there close to 900 at the wheels. It’s just not realistic to safely do that on a stock motor. But we were so happy that day we went home and enjoyed our families right before the holidays. We cut a 1.399 60 foot which is really great but not the best ever so I don’t see why we couldn’t run 8 all day. And the data was beautiful so I could’ve turned it up even on the stock computer with a stock fuel system. We are quite proud because there’s cars with several hundred more horsepower who still can’t beat that time and it is in fact the fastest 991.2. But on a stock ECU and fuel system. Could we have done it on the stock motor? Maybe. But it wouldn’t be worth it if we broke the car to hit that number you know? That’s another threshold by the way. I think once you get faster than the mid-nines the forces that you’re putting on the car could get you. Whether it’s from fatigue or bad luck. It’s all relative. Otherwise I think I’ve got 20 cars that I’ve gone below 9.5 on a stock motor. Hope that helps. I always try to keep it real.

so my opinion… After doing over 500 stage four cars with a very proven recipe and almost 100 XR cars… These two packages do it in a different way and they have different advantages when you say VTG upgrade or “big turbo“ backpressure and everything plays as well. The efficiency of the system which is why even though we can make a Vtg car outperform some big turbo cars there’s advantages to going that route. Anyhow getting into the mid to high fours is great and it should be pretty easily achievable with a good kit. Going any faster than 4.5 your risk of damage becomes greater and there’s many cars that have succumb to this. In a quarter mile once you go above 150 mph you’re starting to push the internals as well. Sorry for the long emails and probably bunch of simple typos. I hope this becomes a good reference for Geoff and others who ever take a look.

Cheers
A ton of knowledge and experience in this post. Thanks !
Dubbyfreshquire (01-16-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 11:11 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 332 Likes on 229 Posts

not sure if i have big turbo's because there are bigger turbo's out there. but here's mine. i am relatively sure if i had good DA it would be well into the 3's. XR turbo's and meth and a big dumb wing.

The following 6 users liked this post by bigrpowr:
911dude41 (01-15-2022), Big Swole (01-18-2022), nismonian (01-17-2022), onfireTTS (01-14-2022), Pb Pedis (01-16-2022), RadarP3C (01-15-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-15-2022, 02:23 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Cheers onfire.

Yeah Mike actually you have the smallest size we offer. Lol I know I’m gonna get a text about that one. I only mean your turbo chargers ig boy! But that’s even more to be proud of with how well your car is running.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:26 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 147 Posts

Incredible amount of experience, learnings, and knowledge gained from 500 Stage 4 builds and 100 XR’s. Nobody better out there!
cosmo1 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 04:30 AM
DubaiPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey all,
Thanks
I would estimate around 4.2 - 4.6 60-130MPH.
@SamboTT@ByDesign has me running 5.1 60-130 on stock turbos, only meth + bolt ons. 991.2 tts @ probably around 780WHP

Quick Reply: 60-130 MPH times with BIG turbo????