Sponsored by: Road Spy

cat back system option

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 08:12 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
I had the Speedtech 2.5" x-pipe with stock cats, it was a bit quiet for me.
I upgraded to the Speedtech 3" x-pipe with 100 cel cats and it is perfect, but since you are in California...

Try the 3" x-pipe with stock cats first, it might be just perfect for you.
i agree. Ill take a few more drives in mountain b4 making decisions but it seems to be route ill take.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:03 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by snuvet75
just the pipe? Happy w the sound in and out of cabin? Any drone?
Just the pipe. Have been happy with the sound in and out and all the time! Not too loud but much better than the stock system and cost effective..
Old 03-29-2024, 02:23 PM
Foosh
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by john45in
Just the pipe. Have been happy with the sound in and out and all the time! Not too loud but much better than the stock system and cost effective..
That's what I have done, only it's the SpeedTech X-Pipe, as opposed to SW. Only the large "suitcase" OEM muffler was removed, with X-Pipe replacing it. All the rest is stock, and yes, that's very cost-effective, and also perfect for me.

It's really tough to make a decision based upon forum discussions because personal preferences are all over the map. What's "perfect" for some is either too loud, too quiet, has a harsh tone, or perceived drone to someone else.

That's also the reason you see folks on this forum reporting they've been through multiple systems before they locked in on what they like best. That obviously gets very expensive.

P.S. SpeedTech and SW pipes do different things as pictures below illustrate. 1st picture below is SW, which just crosses from side-to-side, but doesn't mix exhaust from each bank. SpeedTech is second, and it does blend exhaust from both banks in the middle. As has been reported here, that results in a different tone. Some like one better, some the other.

I got lucky on the first attempt, thanks to a lengthy conversation with John D at SpeedTech, who after listening to me, and asking questions, had a good handle on what I was looking for.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-29-2024 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
john45in (03-30-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 08:02 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gyh
Good luck - no matter what you choose, it will be better than stock!
Cannot agree more. The more I experience TTS, the more i want aftermarket exhaust. The car's sick except the exhaust...
Old 04-03-2024, 10:21 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

I meant Kline system with stock cat but just came to find out that Kline is not compatible with stock cats.
True for Kline models that were originally sold with Kline cats, but now you can order the Kline TUV model, which is made to bolt right up to the stock cats. I believe I got one of the first units in the US, from Sam in 2021.

It was my fourth exhaust try and I'm finally happy. It has a nice smooth "vroom" sound as opposed to the stock boxer sound, has zero drone, and is not too loud. I am sure manyenthusiasts here would think it is much too quiet, but its just right for me.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:59 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 248 Posts

Believe it or not, I'm super happy with the volume of sound from my exhaust set up. it might wake the neighbors on the cold start, but once it's warmed up, it's still super docile on the normal
mode and I've driven by law enforcement at stop lights without worrying at all.

Sport mode will growl a bit more. In WOT mode, all hell breaks loose and thats what I want. Dr. Jekyl and Hyde mode accomplished. Our cars are super cars. What I did accomplished that status.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:21 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

I've got the FVD Brombacher muffler on my 991.1 TTS. I'm generally happy with it, although I often toy with the idea of replacing my OE cats with 200 cell FVD cats. I'm concerned about passing emissions inspection in Colorado, so I haven't changed them. The FVD muffler was a huge improvement over the OE muffler. My only significant complaint about it is that I bought the FVD dual exhaust tips and they don't fit properly with the large OE cats, so I'm using my original tips.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:12 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I've got the FVD Brombacher muffler on my 991.1 TTS. I'm generally happy with it, although I often toy with the idea of replacing my OE cats with 200 cell FVD cats. I'm concerned about passing emissions inspection in Colorado, so I haven't changed them. The FVD muffler was a huge improvement over the OE muffler. My only significant complaint about it is that I bought the FVD dual exhaust tips and they don't fit properly with the large OE cats, so I'm using my original tips.
I found so little on aftermarket tips unless you get it from the exhaust company you have.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:17 PM
Foosh
Racer

Fitment of non-OEM tips is an iffy proposition even on an OEM exhaust. I purchased a set of Soul GT2 tips, which were advertised to fit the OEM 991.1 TTS muffler, but didn't without some cutting and grinding. What I thought was a DIY job definitely wasn't for me because I didn't have the equipment to do cutting and grinding.

They didn't fit on my SpeedTech X-pipe either, but I shipped the Soul tips to SpeedTech, and they fabricated a new set of exit pipes for the X-Pipe exhaust that do fit.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:19 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Fitment of non-OEM tips is an iffy proposition even on an OEM exhaust. I purchased a set of Soul GT2 tips, which were advertised to fit the OEM 991.1 TTS muffler, but didn't without some cutting and grinding. What I thought was a DIY job definitely wasn't for me because I didn't have the equipment to do cutting and grinding.

They didn't fit on my SpeedTech X-pipe either, but I shipped the Soul tips to SpeedTech, and they fabricated a new set of exit pipes for the X-Pipe exhaust that do fit.
I wanna get the same brand's tips but SpeedTech's tips are not aesthetically pleasing, at least in the pictures. Maybe they can do rounded tips like their GT3's.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:25 PM
Foosh
Racer

I wanna get the same brand's tips but SpeedTech's tips are not aesthetically pleasing, at least in the pictures. Maybe they can do rounded tips like their GT3's.
If you decide to go with SpeedTech, and you want to use Soul Tips, tell John that, and he will fabricate exit pipes with the geometry that is compatible with the tips since he now has the pattern from doing mine.

The Soul GT2 GT2 tips are great looking and the best looking ones I've found. Here they are on my OEM muffler after the modifications made to make them fit the OEM exhaust.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-04-2024 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:50 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
If you decide to go with SpeedTech, and you want to use Soul Tips, tell John that, and he will fabricate tips that are compatible since he now has the pattern from doing mine.

The Soul GT2 GT2 tips are great looking and the best looking ones I've found. Here they are on my OEM muffler after the modifications made to make them fit the OEM exhaust.
Looks good! Are those Soul tips bigger than SpeedTech's? They look bigger but pictures can be deceiving..
Old 04-04-2024, 05:50 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts

snuvet75

Here are a few pictures of our 991 Turbo full 3" dual tips. We have been told by many that hey think they are the best looking 991TT tip available, but we realize that's a very individual opinion and tip desires are extremely varied. However, perhaps these larger pictures will provide a better idea of the installed look. Another aspect of these tips worth mentioning is that these are full 3" diameter throughout vs. the 2.5" primary of the OEM tip and as a result, they flow very well and attain a more aggressive bark than the OEM style tips with smaller tubing. We offer them in brushed, satin black ceramic and polished finish. Satin black (bottom picture) is by far the most popular.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Dennis C (04-05-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 06:26 PM
snuvet75
Rennlist Member

John, thank you for the pictures. Pictures for sure are deceiving as they look much better up close than those in your web. What is the smaller tube inside the exhaust tips? I don't think stock pipe sticks out that much. PM me the method of order for the member. I'll go home and look at the car and decide on the color of the tips. Not sure if I want black tips...

Old 04-04-2024, 06:28 PM
Foosh
Racer

@John D II I hadn't seen those pictures before, and they do look great. In fact, I might actually prefer those over the Soul tips that I purchased long before I approached you about the SpeedTech exhaust.

Last edited by Foosh; 04-04-2024 at 06:29 PM.
John D II (04-04-2024)

Quick Reply: cat back system option