Sponsored by: Road Spy

Tracking the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:12 PM
kelly_aurora
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Personally, I would track them another weekend.

I rarely see any intervention from ECS or TC. Work on smoothness.
Got one more track day out of the fronts, rears are fine. Limited ESC and TC intervention on track - unless I do something silly.

Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciate it.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:33 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 181 Posts

I run with Nannies on, PCCB rotors and pads FR TO REAR 1.0/1.5
Old 06-23-2017, 10:51 AM
kelly_aurora
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Karl911
I run with Nannies on, PCCB rotors and pads FR TO REAR 1.0/1.5
Steel pads about the same - rears last 1.5 times longer than the fronts.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:06 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Keep it coming. Good posts, most don't track the turbo. Seems like a shame. Mine should be here in about 8 weeks, so love the tracking input!
Old 06-23-2017, 05:19 PM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

Wonder Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R will be available in 991 sizes.
Said to be even stickier than Trofeo R and have better treadwear. And cheaper as well.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Cookie991
Intermediate

Be interesting to see how the Eagle turns out.

I thought the Trefeo R worked really well on the Turbo, huge improvement on dry track over the PZero, completely transformed the car.

Cheers
Old 06-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anyone with the Cabriolet successfully tracked the car in CA? Most places don't let me in due to the lack of roof/roll cage.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:28 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckard
Has anyone with the Cabriolet successfully tracked the car in CA? Most places don't let me in due to the lack of roof/roll cage.

You bet. This month I have tracked Buttonwillow and Streets of Willow. POC has an event this weekend at Streets of Willow with a couple of Cabs signed up. The cab has built in roll hoops that will deploy in the event of a roll over and the car has a magnesium roof that is stronger than steel.

Cab tracks excellent. For me is my trainer before training in my Cup. The car is super stiff, feels just like a coupe. Only thing I would recommend is that you must get different tires than the P zero, mine pretty much melted after two track days and gave up a lot of grip real fast. I just got the Cup tires for this weekend, can't wait.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:04 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by trader247
You bet. This month I have tracked Buttonwillow and Streets of Willow. POC has an event this weekend at Streets of Willow with a couple of Cabs signed up. The cab has built in roll hoops that will deploy in the event of a roll over and the car has a magnesium roof that is

Cab tracks excellent. For me is my trainer before training in my Cup. The car is super stiff, feels just like a coupe. Only thing I would recommend is that you must get different tires than the P zero, mine pretty much melted after two track days and gave up a lot of grip real fast. I just got the Cup tires for this weekend, can't wait.
Thanks for the info! Looks like I'll need to get on POC's mailing list. Are you still on the original PCCB's?

And you missed a great run through the Malibu canyons a couple weeks ago--next time!
Old 06-24-2017, 12:19 AM
trader247
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deckard
Thanks for the info! Looks like I'll need to get on POC's mailing list. Are you still on the original PCCB's?

And you missed a great run through the Malibu canyons a couple weeks ago--next time!
I am. There are others that may recommend against PCCB. However, I think it all has to do with how you drive/brake. I am taking the path of balance and rhythm. For me, I am not trying to get my times through braking, that can come later.

I actually, had a track day opportunity the day before that run and was the only reason I missed. I hope to catch the next canyon run for sure.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:13 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

2nd track day for the turbo coming up next week. Don't even have 3k miles on it yet.

Don't much care for the P-zeros either.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 AM
trader247
Instructor

Originally Posted by CBejbl
2nd track day for the turbo coming up next week. Don't even have 3k miles on it yet.

Don't much care for the P-zeros either.
Awesome.

I am going to track my Michelin Pilot Sport Cups today, will report back.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Nordic Flyer
Intermediate

As I will use my Turbos S for a vacation trip next week to northern Norway I need to put on my regular wheels. Weather can be rather nasty up there with low temperatures so P Zeros are preferred before Cup 2's.

This gives me a good opportunity to change brake fluid while the wheels are off anyway. I my opinion stock fluid delivered with the car from new does not handle high temps good, so I will now use Castrol React. I have good experience with this from my GT4.

With right tools it's a straightforward job.

Some homemade stuff that is handy.

Inspection of pads and rotors, all is fine.

Old ****

Which is nicer?

Left front that has take most punishment, not too bad after two trackdays. Will switch side when I put back on.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:59 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kelly_aurora
Guys, looking for recommendations on track pads for .2 turbo? Not unhappy with Porsche pads (2 sets so far), wondering about experience with other pads on the track.
If you are still looking, I am using the Ferodo DS1.11. I've gone through 2 sets of OEM and on my second set of Ferodos. I do about 14-16 track days a year and found the initial bite is better and pedal effort is reduced versus stock pads on iron rotors. They also last about 8 track days (I change them at 4mm) in the front, double track days (16) at the rear. Most days are at Sebring, some at VIR, WGI and Daytona. I know I change them early, so you may get more time out of them. That's on a GT3 which are the same brakes but a bit lighter car, with a less intrusive PTV. So depending on driving style the Turbo rears might wear faster than mine.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

So how far have you guys on this 991 Turbo forum modified your TT for the track?

Contrary to any common sense and wisdom, it looks like I am going a bit too deep into modifications on a heavy 4WD for time attack and hillclimb racing, but the car seems to be super competitive..!

Anyone else here have gone that slippery slope ? Pictures, mod lists anything would be interesting to see.

Quick Reply: Tracking the Turbo