Sponsored by: Road Spy

Traded 15 GT3 for 18 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:37 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Two questions I have. One how do you like the glass roof. No creaks or unwanted sounds?
Jay I am now on my second 991.2 with the glass roof; I really like the look of the black panels and glass roof on a white car (and both of the 991.2s have been white). Neither car has had any sort of creaks, rattles or sounds of any sort from the roof. I seriously don't see a third 991.2 in my future (not because I don't love them but because I want to keep the TTs I have now until long after the 991 replacement is out) but if I did I would not hesitate to go with the glass roof again.

JR
Old 07-06-2017, 06:01 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Also really like the glass roof. The black glass looks very good against the white car.

Very nice to let in sunlight during the cold, dark winter months.

No noises or creaks yet.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:00 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

How much weight do the sunroofs add?
Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
How much weight do the sunroofs add?
~17 lbs steel / 23 lbs glass over a sunroof delete metal roof was the best info I've found. That was from a forum post where a guy swapped a steel sunroof to glass and weighed the hardware. There may have been a bit more internal-to-the-roof hardware that wasn't weighed though. I've seen estimates around 30-40 lbs and that doesn't seem unrealistic to me.

I like sunroofs and mine is a street car so I went for it.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:45 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

40 or so pounds sounds reasonable for the sunroof. I never have cared for them, so did a sunroof delete on my ordered car. I know most order them, but I'm not concerned about re-sale.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:43 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JR956678
Jay I am now on my second 991.2 with the glass roof; I really like the look of the black panels and glass roof on a white car (and both of the 991.2s have been white). Neither car has had any sort of creaks, rattles or sounds of any sort from the roof. I seriously don't see a third 991.2 in my future (not because I don't love them but because I want to keep the TTs I have now until long after the 991 replacement is out) but if I did I would not hesitate to go with the glass roof again.

JR
Thanks JR, I'm going with the glass roof. One last question however. My build date is the end of August, with delivery some time mid November. I just about have my options in place and I wanted to know if there is a code to paint the front black trim around the front air intakes? It just doesn't look finished with the matte black, plastic look. What do you feel? Again thanks for your help.

Jay
Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I just about have my options in place and I wanted to know if there is a code to paint the front black trim around the front air intakes? It just doesn't look finished with the matte black, plastic look. What do you feel? Again thanks for your help.

Jay
I understand your view but I also don't recall seeing a code to paint that trim. Keep in mind that my TTs was actually a dealer spec not a custom order by me - they had a TTs allocation (and this is a small dealership and they don't get many allocations for Turbos) and their most experienced Porsche salesman speced this build. He only did two things that I might have changed - one was his wheel choice but that is growing on me and the other is the model designation (911 Turbo S) on the doors. I understand he was catering to a buyer who wants the car to stand out from a normal 991.2. Candidly I hope most of my neighbors don't even recognize that this is not the same car I bought last December; personally I would have left that off as I don't necessarily want to stand out.

There are two PDC sensors in those trim pieces and think I might be more tempted to wrap them in gloss black even if there was a code to paint them - they are quite low on the car and could pick up stone chips. I am probably going to wrap the whole front bumper and include the Aerokit piece which already IS painted gloss black - one kit I have seen does include the Aerokit piece if you get the front bumper wrap.

JR
Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks JR, I'm going with the glass roof. One last question however. My build date is the end of August, with delivery some time mid November. I just about have my options in place and I wanted to know if there is a code to paint the front black trim around the front air intakes? It just doesn't look finished with the matte black, plastic look. What do you feel? Again thanks for your help.

Jay
When I ordered this was not available, and I don't think that has changed. You can probably get Porsche exclusive to do it for a (large) price.

I think a few vendors sell carbon fiber replacements, and a few members have had good luck getting their favorite body/paint shop to remove, properly prep, paint, and reinstall their trim pieces.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:22 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
When I ordered this was not available, and I don't think that has changed. You can probably get Porsche exclusive to do it for a (large) price.

I think a few vendors sell carbon fiber replacements, and a few members have had good luck getting their favorite body/paint shop to remove, properly prep, paint, and reinstall their trim pieces.
Thanks Ace and Jr. I'll check with my rep and if that's the way it comes then I will leave as is for now and change maybe in the future if it becomes a bother to me.

Other than that I will keep working on my build.

Jay

Quick Reply: Traded 15 GT3 for 18 Turbo