Sponsored by: Road Spy

Traded 15 GT3 for 18 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:06 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Traded 15 GT3 for 18 Turbo

Pre-traded my 15 GT3 yesterday for an 18 Turbo. Loved my GT3, tracked it regularly,and on Saturday took FTD at our local PCA AutoX. Sad to see it go, but depreciation of the 3 in a year, and the excitement over the Turbo changed my mind. Have been on the GT3 wait list, which means I'm most likely, according to my dealer, a year out from getting an actual seat. Test drove a 17 turbo, non S, and was blown away by the experience. Came back from the drive with a S*#t eating grin on my face! Very different feel from the earlier .1 Turbo's that I have previously experienced. Nice sounds from the engine, turn in was good, and the car was fast, very fast! Don't know who thinks the new Turbo's are numb, and vague, and detached, but it was a hoot as far as I'm concerned! Did I mentions that they were FAST! Also my wife, for the first time in 9 Porsches actually liked it. Said my GT3 sounded like a truck. In any event I ended up with what I think is a win/win situation. Got a fixed trade in value on the Turbo when the 3 allocation comes in, so I figured, what the heck have I got to lose. Looking forward to this amazing car!!
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (03-04-2020)
Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 PM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

What kinda trucks are they driving around your area?! lol
Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,245 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Pre-traded my 15 GT3 yesterday for an 18 Turbo. Loved my GT3, tracked it regularly,and on Saturday took FTD at our local PCA AutoX. Sad to see it go, but depreciation of the 3 in a year, and the excitement over the Turbo changed my mind. Have been on the GT3 wait list, which means I'm most likely, according to my dealer, a year out from getting an actual seat. Test drove a 17 turbo, non S, and was blown away by the experience. Came back from the drive with a S*#t eating grin on my face! Very different feel from the earlier .1 Turbo's that I have previously experienced. Nice sounds from the engine, turn in was good, and the car was fast, very fast! Don't know who thinks the new Turbo's are numb, and vague, and detached, but it was a hoot as far as I'm concerned! Did I mentions that they were FAST! Also my wife, for the first time in 9 Porsches actually liked it. Said my GT3 sounded like a truck. In any event I ended up with what I think is a win/win situation. Got a fixed trade in value on the Turbo when the 3 allocation comes in, so I figured, what the heck have I got to lose. Looking forward to this amazing car!!

Nice!

I'm with you. I came from a GT4 and am now in a .2 Turbo. All I ever heard about the Turbo is that it's clinical, and boring and uninvolving. I could not disagree more. I think the handling has excellent feel and responsiveness; the engine is just world class. I'm having more fun with this car than any other I've ever owned.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:25 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
What kinda trucks are they driving around your area?! lol
Well, I did "secretly" put an X pipe on the GT3 when she wasn't looking. Since we don't drive together that often, it's my weekend toy, I had to bite my tongue the first time we did ride together after the install. She commented on how loud my car was! Didn't say a word. It's all good, she indulges me. I know I'm really not getting away with anything.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:31 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Nice!

I'm with you. I came from a GT4 and am now in a .2 Turbo. All I ever heard about the Turbo is that it's clinical, and boring and uninvolving. I could not disagree more. I think the handling has excellent feel and responsiveness; the engine is just world class. I'm having more fun with this car than any other I've ever owned.
Yes, I hear you! I've had 3 GT3's over the years, awesome cars all! Maybe it was the result of under expectations for the Turbo after all the "boring" comments I've heard, but the Turbo is a force unto itself. Really an amazing feat of engineering! It's going to be a long couple of months!!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:39 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. When is your build slot?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 PM
sdg1871
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, I hear you! I've had 3 GT3's over the years, awesome cars all! Maybe it was the result of under expectations for the Turbo after all the "boring" comments I've heard, but the Turbo is a force unto itself. Really an amazing feat of engineering! It's going to be a long couple of months!!
I definitely have never gotten the boring or uninvolved comment that detractors of the turbo claim. car is extremely involving handles great and ridiculously fast
Old 06-13-2017, 06:40 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wassy
Congrats. When is your build slot?
V270- V300, vehicle exits production and vehicle completion on 7/21/17. V332, vehicle exits Emden on 8/11/17. Seems like a long time from completion, but hoping it gets here earlier than the 9/8/17 delivery date. Oh well, nothing to do now but wait.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:15 AM
PPFANBOY
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Good move.
Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2017, 09:03 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Is an "'18" turbo any different to a "17" turbo ? I presume you are calling an "18" model one which is produced after the summer break at Porsche... I am aware that the colour Crayon is only available for the "18"s but am interested if you know of any other differences ?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Is an "'18" turbo any different to a "17" turbo ? I presume you are calling an "18" model one which is produced after the summer break at Porsche... I am aware that the colour Crayon is only available for the "18"s but am interested if you know of any other differences ?
From what i know, nothing changed other than new colors. I actually like the new color chulk.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:11 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a chalk on order. July build delivery around 9/1. So they say.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:51 AM
hionbusa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A TTS with a good exhaust and dialed in tire presssure is money.
The mega torque and lift off backfiring are the first things I noticed missing stepping into a gt3.
Although I wish it shook and rumbled at idle like the gt3 does.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,879 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Originally Posted by hionbusa
A TTS with a good exhaust and dialed in tire presssure is money.
The mega torque and lift off backfiring are the first things I noticed missing stepping into a gt3.
Although I wish it shook and rumbled at idle like the gt3 does.
Just loosen up the bolts a bit on your exhaust.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Rgwirtz
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 63 Posts
Question

I'm finding my 991.2 TTS is much more refined in every way vs. my 2009 997 TT. My wife and kids MUCH prefer the 991 to the 997, even though it is in actuality a monster compared to that car.

I loved the 997. That car had a real rawness to it. Partly due to the manual transmission, part due to the aftermarket exhaust (my neighbor actually asked me to not drive it in the am - and I'm a nice guy so I complied!), and partly due to the less refined "P" stuff (no PDCC, PTV), though I did add the DSC PASM box which was a miracle.

The 997 was a much more jarring experience for the passenger given clutch uplift/off gas to then full power (vs. the smooth shift of the PDK), and the jumpiness of the car due to the suspension balance being more analog. Also, the exhaust lead to some droning at lower RPM's and of course much more overall cabin noise. As a driver i liked all that stuff, but the manual just got too tedious in NYC area traffic (my left knee is clutched out). And the car didn't track as true due to the suspension + hydraulic steering (this is both good and bad, as road feel was terrific on the 997).

And the cabin electronics and overall build finish is far superior on the 991. My glass sunroof rocks (I just couldn't become a cabrio guy). It definitely feels more GT than race car (which is what the 997 was to me though I've never driven a GT3). As I'm driving the 991 car more, I am loving the PDK (I thought I would NEVER give up the MT), and I'm loving the handling and overall experience.

And I'm convinced this car would be a beast on the track. I'm a total amateur with about 5 days of Skip Barber experience, but it would have been SO much better to use PDK on the track so I could concentrate on braking, entry points, chassis balance and just racing, vs. worrying about double downshifting at the end of a 120mph straight into a tight rich-hander. I'm all left feet on the heel/toe

Quick Reply: Traded 15 GT3 for 18 Turbo