Sponsored by:

volcano grey vs agate

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:45 PM
MikeOrschel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volcano grey vs agate

I wonder: will they bring the volcano grey as an option for a 911 4-s?.. Personally I don't like how the agate looks like a brown. But, there is extra cost of putting volcano on the 911. For these reasons, I have considered graphite blue or silver GT instead. What do you guys think?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:56 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOrschel
I wonder: will they bring the volcano grey as an option for a 911 4-s?.. Personally I don't like how the agate looks like a brown. But, there is extra cost of putting volcano on the 911. For these reasons, I have considered graphite blue or silver GT instead. What do you guys think?
Maybe Eduardo will chime in, but from what I have seen there is no way to predict what Porsche will or will not do. For me, I think Agate is a wonderful color that goes with lots of interiors. I had it on a Macan and loved it, but then that is why we have color choices, what works for me may not work for you. Having said all of that, my Carmine Red GTS is on a ship in the Atlantic at the present time. Graphite Blue, as well as Miami Blue, got very serious consideration before I finally chose Carmine. I think Graphite Blue is a wonderful color, have seen many cars in the color, and it is just gorgeous. Hope to have a P-car in that color one day.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:21 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOrschel
I've ALWAYS loved GT Silver...classic German color. Also love Graphite blue.
Ive had a couple of grey cars and IMO they are boring. as soon as they get dusty they look dirty and just dull to me....thats just my opinion. On your way home tonight look at all the cars around you...grey, black and white...............oh yea, My SQ5 is black.......

Last edited by 911boy; 10-30-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:33 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

So, I queried over the same when I bought my agate grey GTS in 2015. I had owned one Blue, one silver and one black owned now by many others though all had my specifications. One is going off next week to Koln Germany. I love the new volcano grey but my 2015 Agate grey (which has a tint of delightful brown) has enamored us. The agate grey is no longer available for the 991 I assume; only valcono grey. I saw it last week on a 2018 718 Boxster. In retrospect, my car was created because a friend had ordered, in 2014,Boxster that was Agate Grey with a Blue interior. All my ordered Porsches had Blue interiors. So, with apology to the person I copied, we own a gorgeous 2015 991 GTS Coupe tha never fails to attract people to pull up and compliment me. Sometimes they ask me to pull over (once a Florida State Patrolman) and discuss the Porsche. This morning I had two unsaviory guys who pulled me over and wanted to thoroughly examine it. I did and spoke kindly. They did and merely displayed their getaway of their old Chevy PU to show me how much they were imoressed. Between that and kids, I love that.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:44 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ison-pics.html
Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't want a gray car but Agate really won me over with its hint of brown. The brown flake can be very pronounced when the car is in direct sunlight at certain angles so if this is a turn off for you I'd definitely recommend against going with Agate. In the shade the car looks like a normal medium gray, so make sure you see it in various lighting conditions before making your choice.

I don't have a Volcano comparison, but here's my Agate 991.1 compared to a Seal Gray 996. Agate looks different from other grays but without a side by side comparison it's difficult to put a finger on exactly why. Note the brown vs. silver flake:

The brown flake really shines through during the late afternoon golden hour. I don't have a good picture that really illustrates how strong the brown is, but you can get an idea of it by looking at the area to the rear of the door jamb here:

I'm guilty of adding yet another black, white, silver, or gray car into the sea of monochrome cars but I'm happy with my choice. The plan is still to have a PTS Brewster Green car in my garage one day, though.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Goes well with the Agate gray in the interior, which really should be called Agate brown. Really has very little gray to it...I love the retro vibe of the brown contrasting the pebble gray. Looks awesome.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:16 PM
hotwired
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've gotten more compliments on the color of my agate 4S than any other car I've owned.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,290 Likes on 600 Posts

Love Agate, and thought hard about ordering it on both my GT4 (went with Guards Red) and 991.2 (went with PTS Oak Green). Agate hints of brown are just fine by me, and I may like it better than Seal Gray, but not as much as my all-time favorite Porsche metallic gray, Slate Gray Metallic (993). Thing is, I couldn't justify PTS pricing to get Slate over Agate, just as I would not be able to justify PTS pricing for Volcano. Volcano is great, but it's a $700 Macan color and is also a lot darker (will look dirty far sooner).

Ultimately, I passed on Agate. While I fell in love with gray Porsches when they were fairly rare—just like gray cars in general—there are just sooooo many gray cars these days. Seeing the pic above of the beautiful Agate 991.1 makes me rethink my decision, however. It is stunning to these eyes. Truly, we are spoiled for choice...
Old 10-30-2017, 06:16 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

I simply do not see any brown in the Agate T
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:57 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

While there are lots of gray colored cars, they’re also lots of silver white and black cars. Quality shades of each too, even on budget models.

To really pop without going nuts with a gross Easter egg color or paying insane money for PTS, were limited to guards red or whatever blue they offer this week.

I miss the option of being able to spec Amaranth, Anthracite and Mahogany. The latter of which was one of the best colors they’ve ever made outside of some of the darker greens that are PTS only now despite being a foundational 911 color.

I’d get Agate any day. It just looks awesome. Way better than in pictures and unlike some grays it doesn’t hide the lines it makes them richer.

Of the current colors offered, I’d go white (either), agate, GT or black. Lots of cars those colors especially 911s, but IMO those are the best colors offered south of the PTS racket.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Not sure if you’re serious. Taste in color is subjective. The fact that agate has a brown tint to it is not. I have an agate Macan and a GT Silver 991. Seeing them side by side makes it obvious. I think they’re both (subjectively) great colors.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:39 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

Agate GT4 next to Volcano Panamera.
Luv em both.
Agate is hard to photograph and very changeable.
Volcano is highly metallic and lively with lots of blue.
It’s very dark and higher maintenance.

I love the crazy colors but Agate was the only GT4 color that spoke to me, and hubby chose the volcano

No complaints on either but I would have specd a PTS GT4 in a heartbeat if given the chance

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-27-2022 at 10:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
diss7 (07-24-2020)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:52 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Volcano reminds me a lot of BMW’s Sophistograu metallic. Lot of flake and a lot of blue in it.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:57 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Glad someone else said this...I completely agree!

Quick Reply: volcano grey vs agate