Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel film. Regular sealant needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 253 Posts
Default Xpel film. Regular sealant needed?

Another question for folks who have the xpel clear bra? I got the full frontal treatment for my car. Supposed to seal the film every 3 months. Helpful or let it be? I am not **** about the car but want to keep the film for a few years if I can. I bought the sealant but feeling too lazy to do it myself. Car will be driven in winter so will see cold and some snow. Thanks guys.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flim is like paint basically treat it the same, so yes add protection.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you can wax it with anything but dont buff or use polishers on it, it will scratch the film and that cant be fixed
Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Never heard of sealing PPF. Xpel Ultimate has 10 year warranty. Never heard film is like paint before. And don't know why you would put wax on film.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Xpel themselves recommend applying their sealant monthly, but I gather that few do that, myself included. Here is a link to their product: http://www.xpel.com/product/xpel-ppf-sealant-16-oz/.

Here’s the description if you don’t want to click the link:
“XPEL Film Sealant is an acrylic polymer product that is purpose-made for protecting any aliphatic urethane paint protection film. Attaching itself at a molecular level, the sealant forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light. By sealing off the pores in the film, the sealant will reduce absorption of pollutants, tar, and pollen; as well as staining due acid rain, hard water and bugs by 90%. Because this product is engineered specifically for Aliphatic Polyurethane, it is much more durable on Paint Protection Film than other waxes and polishes. Apply XPEL Film Sealant monthly for maximum protection”
Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Xpel themselves recommend applying their sealant monthly, but I gather that few do that, myself included. Here is a link to their product: http://www.xpel.com/product/xpel-ppf-sealant-16-oz/.

Here’s the description if you don’t want to click the link:
“XPEL Film Sealant is an acrylic polymer product that is purpose-made for protecting any aliphatic urethane paint protection film. Attaching itself at a molecular level, the sealant forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light. By sealing off the pores in the film, the sealant will reduce absorption of pollutants, tar, and pollen; as well as staining due acid rain, hard water and bugs by 90%. Because this product is engineered specifically for Aliphatic Polyurethane, it is much more durable on Paint Protection Film than other waxes and polishes. Apply XPEL Film Sealant monthly for maximum protection”
lol Do they recommend you buy it from them?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:02 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Well of course!

It's not stated how long a bottle should last so I have no idea how much money this would cost over time.

The PPF on my car has been there four years now, untreated other than the Kenotech detailing spray I use sometimes when doing a light cleanup. It still looks great and allows bug splatter to wash off easily. There might be some small benefit to the sealant but I can't imagine the film performing any better than it already does without it. Maybe it will make a difference if you leave it on for a long time, but at that point I'd probably just replace it.

Last edited by StormRune; 11-08-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:03 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Never heard of sealing PPF.
^+1
Our two Xpel installers NEVER mentioned using sealant on Xpel. We’ve had Xpel on 3 cars in the past 12 months and many before that.

In recent years we’ve had Opticoat ceramic put over the entire car, including Xpel. Maybe it does the same thing as sealant.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:44 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
^+1
Our two Xpel installers NEVER mentioned using sealant on Xpel. Weve had Xpel on 3 cars in the past 12 months and many before that.

In recent years weve had Opticoat ceramic put over the entire car, including Xpel. Maybe it does the same thing as sealant.
Wouldn't expect an installer to recommend it. They want you to come back after its normal lifespan for replacement. haha
Old 11-08-2017, 03:23 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

I called my installer and they recommended applying the sealant once every 3-4 months on a DD.
Seems easy enough to do because I just did. Took me about an hour. The sealant stinks so have to use it in a ventilated area with chemical resistant gloves. Safety data sheet.http://www.xpel.com/wp-content/uploa...alant_V1.1.pdf
Old 11-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 731 Posts

I treat PPF (Suntek Ultra) as if it were clear coat just like that on your paint. i do not use abrasives but I do clay, polish and use a sealant of my choice.
Just did a detail for winter put away and did the whole car after polishing and prepping with Gyeon Can Coat including wheels. Came out beautiful.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2017, 04:52 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Never heard of sealing PPF. Xpel Ultimate has 10 year warranty. Never heard film is like paint before. And don't know why you would put wax on film.

Larry knows a thing or two about this topic.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

And Larry wants to do it for me, right?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:54 PM
PorscheFrank
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can think of the PPF wrap as a means of protecting the paint from impact (flying rocks and debris). The coating (ceramic, wax, sealant, etc) protects the surface from dirt, chemicals, insects, bird droppings, etc. The coating doesn’t really protect against impacts. The wrap does have some chemical resistance properties, but nowhere near as good as the coating.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:02 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

The film is doing its job. I have close to 3k miles on my 4S in three months. Besides taking the car to a touchless car wash once a week, I haven't done anything else. I applied the sealant today and got a closer look at the hood, front bumper etc. Unblemished. No marks, scrapes or dings. I will see after this winter.

Quick Reply: Xpel film. Regular sealant needed?