Sponsored by:

Homelink worked without having to put garage opener into program mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 04:18 PM
pw98
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink worked without having to put garage opener into program mode

I picked up a 991.1 yesterday and I was programming my remote this morning. I noticed that it was immediately able to open and close my garage door right after learning the code from a garage remote. Usually you'd have to hit a button on the opener but today I didn't. Did Porsche put something fancy in the homelink? My garage opener is one of the newer Chamberlains with the back up battery so it does have rolling codes. Anyone else seen this?
Old 11-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

In that case I think I would make sure the remote is not kept in the car.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:59 PM
pw98
Rennlist Member

Not quite sure what you mean. I used my clicker to program the home link built into the vehicle. Usually, one more step after that is required for the homelink to function properly with the garage opener in that you'd have to put the home unit into programming mode to "acknowledge" the homelink--typically by hitting a learn button on your opener. I didn't have to in this case and worked without that last step. I found it odd so was wondering if anyone else experienced this.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pw98
My garage opener is one of the newer Chamberlains with the back up battery so it does have rolling codes. Anyone else seen this?
Hmm... I just programmed a Chamberlain on my 991.2 and had to do the extra step with the button push on the opener. It's curious that you have a newer unit with rolling codes and didn't have to do the extra step.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:50 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 570 Posts

My experience suggests that Homelink has almost a random record of working, at least according to official procedure.

Any any success for me has been temporary (cross fingers).
Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

If the remote that you used to program the Homelink system in your car was already registered with the opener, then this is possible.

I know more about this than I ever wanted to know. I’m on our HOA board and I’m responsible for programming our neighborhood gate, which is operated by a late model LiftMaster/Chamberlain unit.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:22 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I picked up a 991.1 yesterday and I was programming my remote this morning. I noticed that it was immediately able to open and close my garage door right after learning the code from a garage remote. Usually you'd have to hit a button on the opener but today I didn't. Did Porsche put something fancy in the homelink? My garage opener is one of the newer Chamberlains with the back up battery so it does have rolling codes. Anyone else seen this?
Just bought a new Macan GTS and also have a new Chamberlain opener. Had to hiit the learn button here!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 AM
WCE
User

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Exclamation

Either your opener isn't rolling code or homelink got lucky with some default code (and might stop working) which is disconcerting!
Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Not quite sure what you mean. I used my clicker to program the home link built into the vehicle. Usually, one more step after that is required for the homelink to function properly with the garage opener in that you'd have to put the home unit into programming mode to "acknowledge" the homelink--typically by hitting a learn button on your opener. I didn't have to in this case and worked without that last step. I found it odd so was wondering if anyone else experienced this.
I mean if someone who is servicing the car or anyone who has access to it now has a key to your home by making a copy of your code with your remote.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 AM
melocotton
AutoX

I remember few years ago when I bought my first 991, the salesperson told me that it is preferable to not save my home address in the GPS, particularly if I leave my remote control in the car. I guess it applies even more if you have this homelink feature.
I dont feel comfortable with this option because I feel like anyone who steals my car also has a key to my home, so I never take this option..
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 AM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Similar experience here. I had to hit the button on the receiver for my wife’s BMW but I didn’t have to do so on mine.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:39 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Same here... I did not have to use the learn button. My garage openers are less than a year old with rolling codes, WIFI, etc... my jeep needed the learn button.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Pete
Instructor

I found with my '14 2S that the homelink instructions in the owner's manual were worthless to get it to work with my Genie. I went to the homelink web site, followed the instructions there and had it programmed on the first try in about 5 minutes.

Pete
Old 11-14-2017, 11:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I found with my '14 2S that the homelink instructions in the owner's manual were worthless to get it to work with my Genie. I went to the homelink web site, followed the instructions there and had it programmed on the first try in about 5 minutes.

Pete

Very true.

Basically you (for rolling code opener):

1) Clear the existig codes by holding the outer two buttons for about 60-90 seconds.

2) Hold button you want to program until blinks rapidly.

3) Teach car by holding remote by front bumper and fog light till fog lights blink.

4) Press "learn" button on head unit.

5) Keep pressing programed car button until door moves.

6) You need to do steps 2-5 within about 90 seconds.

7) Done.

8) Don't park car under the door during the above.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

I think you mean 5) Press the car button repeatedly.

Quick Reply: Homelink worked without having to put garage opener into program mode