Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delivery / Drive: Chicago to Denver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:22 AM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I make the drive once a month or more from Des Moines to Denver area on I-80. I-80 is not a very interesting drive and is loaded with truck traffic. I have had lots of paint chips and also chipped or broken windshields traveling this road. Between questionable weather that your tires may not be suited for and the road hazards, I would trailer it.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:31 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

After being hit towing a car home that I just purchased a few states over, I am a little gun shy of buying long distance and driving it home(even flat decking).... It took months before I could even drive the car I just bought.
Get it hauled home enclosed! Then you can enjoy and get acquainted with the car on your own turf.
PS I just bought a GTS from about 12 hours from here. Its winter, roads can be fine, or total $h!t. Wasn't even a question, enclosed hauling ruled. Nothing to do but enjoy the car.
If it was summer though...
Old 02-04-2018, 04:39 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Too bad you didn't check the Atlanta Delivery box....
Old 02-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Summer Tires

Yea um...I have the pirrellis on mine an under 45% you go ice skating...perhaps you mean with winter tires or perhaps the new Michelin summer tires work in winter too ?

Either put it in a storage unit for a month or have it delivered. Either way you want PPF for salt etc in that part of the country. I would not drive summer tires in the winter.

Originally Posted by onedae
Absolutely do the drive. The 911 is a great foul weather car. And you will quickly learn how the car behaves. Yes, you will need to be a bit more careful with summer tires but it's not a big deal. I've driven 911's with standard tires in some pretty miserable storms over the years and my experience has been that as long as you are reasonably careful, you won't have a problem. Plus its easy enough to get accurate weather forecasts and plot your route accordingly.
Go for it!!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I’m more surprised you couldn’t find a car at Stevinson, Prestige or Rennlist sponsor Porsche Colorado Springs.

To answer your question- Enclosed shipping would be my choice.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by seanhaus
After some thought and re-reading this thread a dozen times... I’m going to go forgo the cannonball run back to Denver and truck it. I’ll also plan on having The Exchange instax some PPF.

Between the boring drive and the time of year, good choice. I drove mine home 1,300 miles but it was the early fall and I went through the Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the Dragon, so totally worth it.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:28 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
I’m more surprised you couldn’t find a car at Stevinson, Prestige or Rennlist sponsor Porsche Colorado Springs.

To answer your question- Enclosed shipping would be my choice.
Me too actually. Stevinson wasn't able to secure an allocation for a C2 until mid-March. They were really pushy to get me into an S which was available, which while incredible, I had a set budget I wanted to hit this time around with a late February delivery. Prestige had an allocation more or less ready to go, but wouldn't budge on price whatsoever. From there, I reached out to a few dealers in the area (Scottsdale, North Houston, Murray) and achieved mixed results. Ultimately, I cast a wider net and was able to find an allocation immediately at The Exchange with a discount I felt good about even considering the additional cost of shipping it to Denver.

Now with that said, I'm really curious about who I should bring the car to for service once it's here...
Old 02-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't mind the 1,000 miles on your car what I would do is take delivery of the car and then fly home. Wait for a extended forecast of moderate weather then fly into O'Hare and drive the car home. In the meantime you should have the car coated and PPF if you wanted. The dealer offers this, but many 3rd party options in the area that do great work (Lustr in Schaumburg)

I'm sure the P-Exchange would keep the car for a few weeks until you have a fair weather-window.

I've purchased all my Porsches from The Exchange. Great bunch of guys
Old 02-04-2018, 06:57 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Good advice from Monetthecat if you want the drive (though I used Chicago Auto Pros in Glenview). However, as has been said, that stretch of interstate through Nebraska and eastern Colorado will blast the front of your car with grit any time of year.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:59 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,743 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Congrats on the new ride! If you get stuck in cold weather, just remember that you can quickly ruin $2k worth of tires if they are exposed to temps under 14F (-10C)
Old 02-04-2018, 07:15 PM
seanhaus
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Congrats on the new ride! If you get stuck in cold weather, just remember that you can quickly ruin $2k worth of tires if they are exposed to temps under 14F (-10C)
Ha! This entire thread has been a reality-check for me in terms of "what the hell was I thinking? I-80 in February?!?" I think the anticipation of finally stepping foot into my own 911 has gotten the best of me.

Anyhow, I'm going to reach out to The Exchange and see if they handle PPF/ceramic in house or if it's something they contract out. Any great installers in the Chicago area I should be on the look out for?
Old 02-04-2018, 08:58 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

An excellent call to get PPF. But one more thing to consider with that. While the film is important, the installer is even more important. You'll want an installer with a super-clean shop set up for PPF with the right lighting and equipment for the job and a lot of experience. I doubt very many dealers, if any, can give you the best job in house unless they have huge volume and have a dedicated area and installer.

Also, top-end installers will warrant both the film and their work. Ideally you should get the film installed by someone local to you in case there's some damage or a edge gets a little loose on an edge. Then your original installer can take care of it for you. The warranty for the film itself is national and can be resolved at any authorized installer, but the workmanship part of it is only an agreement with the particular installer. Buy local.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seanhaus
Me too actually. Stevinson wasn't able to secure an allocation for a C2 until mid-March. They were really pushy to get me into an S which was available, which while incredible, I had a set budget I wanted to hit this time around with a late February delivery. Prestige had an allocation more or less ready to go, but wouldn't budge on price whatsoever. From there, I reached out to a few dealers in the area (Scottsdale, North Houston, Murray) and achieved mixed results. Ultimately, I cast a wider net and was able to find an allocation immediately at The Exchange with a discount I felt good about even considering the additional cost of shipping it to Denver.

Now with that said, I'm really curious about who I should bring the car to for service once it's here...
sounds about right re: sales.
I've liked the service dept at Stevinson, they've always treated me well.
good choice on shipping it, that is one boring drive from Chicago.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Seanhaus, you should drive it home! Schedule an oil change on your arrival home, and your break-in period is essentially over. Nice bonus.

The Porsche Exchange is a HUGE dealership. Ask them to hold the car a week or two, to get you into early March. Maybe send them a large deposit to "cool their heels". If I can help you in any way, just let me know. If need be, you can park your car in my heated garage for a week or two until the weather slightly improves in early March. Heck, you get about 200 miles south of the Chicag area, in March, and the chances of snow go w a y down.

If you need a good PPF guy before you leave town, let me know. I'll send you to Ivan and Nico in Schaumburg.

Last edited by LexVan; 02-05-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 PM
AlbertC4S
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Don’t drive it, just drove my new GTS Targa from Miami to Charlotte (720 miles), 4 cracks on the wind shield=new windshield ($1,400 job) and applied PPF with few spots on the paint now. Wish I had transported the car. The experience of driving 11 hours with my 12 y/o in a new Porsche=priceless!

Quick Reply: Delivery / Drive: Chicago to Denver?