Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 05:30 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They're both over rated anyway. I tried both the AA and ACP in my '17 Volt, just to make sure they worked as claimed. They did. Then I turned them both completely off, and guess what...the sun came up the next day, just like always. How many people buy a 911 just so they can stay lost in their digital device while driving it?
The following 2 users liked this post by 1analguy:
mc3456 (07-19-2020), Viper pilot (07-28-2022)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:01 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Just to add more info: The 991.2 PCM supports Google Earth for the maps display and Google Navigation with Google Search for destinations and routing. You just have to provide a wireless connection from your phone's hotspot or have a SIM installed.

Also, I wouldn't expect Apple CarPlay to ever support Waze. Waze is owned by Google.
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (02-05-2020)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Really? I can't understand if true that Google would want to get more car info, what is so much of a secret? Car location? Car speed? Car anything? Are they concerned that car privacy would be violated?
All above only if what you said was true
This is actually TRUE.

Google was attempting to mine engine data and other information which Porsche considered trade secret information.

This is not from me, this is from the company:
https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9...e-android-auto

And, before you ask, I am an android user
Omnigeek (04-16-2024)
Old 04-04-2018, 08:04 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am an android guy and wish it had android auto.. However I can see Porsche's point in not agreeing to terms with Google.

The amount of information Google takes from it's users is mind boggling.. Google knows me more than I know me at this point. My phone (Note 8) is always listening. My phone unlocks itself and starts recording audio. My phone unlocks itself and goes to the camera. My phone knows I have appointments that I setup not using my device... I also have audio files stored on my phone of me talking to friends and random people throughout the day. All my online and map searches are permanently stored.. Location too.

It's so disturbing I'm considering moving back to Apple... I hate iPhones.
PatrickBateman (01-31-2022)
Old 04-04-2018, 08:29 PM
mallocfailure
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
I am an android guy and wish it had android auto.. However I can see Porsche's point in not agreeing to terms with Google.

The amount of information Google takes from it's users is mind boggling.. Google knows me more than I know me at this point. My phone (Note 8) is always listening. My phone unlocks itself and starts recording audio. My phone unlocks itself and goes to the camera. My phone knows I have appointments that I setup not using my device... I also have audio files stored on my phone of me talking to friends and random people throughout the day. All my online and map searches are permanently stored.. Location too.

It's so disturbing I'm considering moving back to Apple... I hate iPhones.
You can disable all of these features if you don't want to use them. You're trading privacy for features - if you aren't using them, turn them off. If you are using them, then it's your own fault.
Google actually makes all of the data it captures available for you to download and review - it's not like they're trying to hide what they're doing.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:40 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 781 Posts

Android here. Subd
Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by mallocfailure
You can disable all of these features if you don't want to use them. You're trading privacy for features - if you aren't using them, turn them off. If you are using them, then it's your own fault.
Google actually makes all of the data it captures available for you to download and review - it's not like they're trying to hide what they're doing.
What does Google do with that information? They sure don't want you to "disable" these functions, and if I did whats the point in having the phone with these features? Double edged sword. Also most people living in poverty have android phones. Those people will almost do anything for a free "gimmie" and Google knows this. Then of course google has the money and power to sway politics. Some scary stuff right there. We're talking about Google here.. That once upon a time cute and simple internet search engine..You can bet your *** Porsche doesn't want it's information stolen. Don't blame em.

Knowledge is power, and Google knows this.

Which topic is worse? Android vs Apple or 991.2 vs 991.2?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:00 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waze and Google Maps both work on my iPhone. So it is not an issue of Apple can't but, rather, that Apple won't.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:19 PM
Sharm
Pro

Originally Posted by Nino
What does Google do with that information? They sure don't want you to "disable" these functions, and if I did whats the point in having the phone with these features? Double edged sword. Also most people living in poverty have android phones. Those people will almost do anything for a free "gimmie" and Google knows this. Then of course google has the money and power to sway politics. Some scary stuff right there. We're talking about Google here.. That once upon a time cute and simple internet search engine..You can bet your *** Porsche doesn't want it's information stolen. Don't blame em.

Knowledge is power, and Google knows this.

Which topic is worse? Android vs Apple or 991.2 vs 991.2?
^ you're starting to scare me now lol.
And I don't think I'm poor.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:25 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharm
^ you're starting to scare me now lol.
And I don't think I'm poor.
It scares me knowing that somebody can know where I've been, how long I've been there, how fast I drove to get there, where I stopped along the way, which direction I took, who I talked to, when I talked to them and why I took all these actions.

Imagine how law enforcement can use all that information against you if they wanted. Scary stuff. Google is evil.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Videos are not real ?? Click Bait ?

Has anyone actually purchased and installed this and if so where did you buy it form...
Old 04-06-2018, 08:08 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
They're both over rated anyway. I tried both the AA and ACP in my '17 Volt, just to make sure they worked as claimed. They did. Then I turned them both completely off, and guess what...the sun came up the next day, just like always. How many people buy a 911 just so they can stay lost in their digital device while driving it?
I doubt anyone, however having continuity and consistency across platforms is a nice convenience. Most of the time I have the screen blank and the windows down enjoying the mechanical symphony. If you are going to have it may as well do it right. I’m a long time iPhone/IOS user and find the simplicity of ACP vs yet another proprietary manafacturers audio/NAV interface revelatory.. Also having the ability to have map updates downloaded via either device or PCM is huge. My 11’ GTI is $200 + to update the map database. Bought a Garmin with free lifetime updates and traffic instead, but just one more additional piece of gear in the car.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Sharm
Pro

So has anyone found a way to do this? The youtube guy is either tremendously lazy, dead, or both..
Old 04-22-2018, 12:44 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nm2far

I doubt anyone, however having continuity and consistency across platforms is a nice convenience. Most of the time I have the screen blank and the windows down enjoying the mechanical symphony. If you are going to have it may as well do it right. I’m a long time iPhone/IOS user and find the simplicity of ACP vs yet another proprietary manafacturers audio/NAV interface revelatory.. Also having the ability to have map updates downloaded via either device or PCM is huge. My 11’ GTI is $200 + to update the map database. Bought a Garmin with free lifetime updates and traffic instead, but just one more additional piece of gear in the car.
Running Waze on the car's main screen would be terrific. Not only does it provide useful info on police locations, but the Waze nav system is better than Porsches, with vastly better voice control--at least when you are in phone range.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:19 AM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.aliexpress.com/item/32818208657.html

Quick Reply: Porsche PCM Upgrade/Hack for Android Auto? Is this real?