Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:27 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Oh man, I am so glad John is doing this. Time to put up or shut up to the IPD boys.

If it delivers even 15hp I will buy it. Anything less its just too minimal to bother.
Also, in conjunction with the BMC it should really show improvements in flow over stock filter.

We shall see...
What you add first will have the biggest benefit.
On the NA engines, if you added an IPD first with a tune, you could get 20-25 hp. If you added it after headers and sport cats, 5 hp.
Sport cats ( or no cats) and headers will likely be the biggest hardware add-on ( ignoring turbos and further pushing of the boost).
I would have looked at them first......

But any data is better than what I have now, so thanks to BGB
Old 07-25-2018, 04:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
On the NA engines, if you added an IPD first with a tune, you could get 20-25 hp. If you added it after headers and sport cats, 5 hp.
Sport cats ( or no cats) and headers will likely be the biggest hardware add-on ( ignoring turbos and further pushing of the boost).

Personally this is my experience too. With Turbo cars removing the catalytic converters is the cheapest and easiest power followed by a remap. After that its about thermal management for consistency of power under load. Once that is under control and the chassis is fortified to handle the increased power through the drive-train you can look to new turbos and further ECU tuning. Ive done the Cat bypasses, pads (Endless ME22), brake fluid (SRF) next will be ECU and larger slotted GirpDisc rotors. After that I guess springs and DSC. Then it gets hard and expensive with aftermarket charge coolers, rads and other items for reliable track power and further increases of boost...
The following users liked this post:
Mark Mullins (05-06-2020)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:35 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 632 Posts

It's interesting you say that. I have found this also. I did the IPD first. It made sense that the Y would flow better than the stock T. Holding both in your hands, Physics and (Common sense says) the IPD has to flow better.

But the Porsche is a hard car to dyno. It heat soaks quickly on the dyno. And most air flow mods don't show true gains sitting stationary. It would be best to data log whilst driving the car to see real difference.

I would say the IPD does more than the BMC filter. I doubt the filter does little more than add a nice sound. (Which is nice). I have done the IPD but not the filter yet.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

4.0 IPD
Old 07-25-2018, 08:03 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

I am going on record that when John does the dyno test on this thing that between the air filter and IPD you will see less than 10hp gains. I hope I am wrong because I would love some cheap HP, but 3 different performance guys told me that the plenum is complete BS and not to waste my money. We are all assuming that the increase in flow (if any) will lead to better HP but, if the flow isnt being restricted now then increasing the airflow wont do a thing. What I am trying to say that is if the current design flows more than enough air now, then being able to flow more shouldn't make a difference. We shall soon see..
Old 07-25-2018, 10:02 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

This is a rather smart way of looking at it and i think that i would agree as well. Nothing on this planet is going to make 100 rwhp for $2000 like an Accessport and a tune. Just as you described, i would assume the next biggest gains will come from the catless bypass pipe but maybe at roughly 30% of the increase of the flash. If the plenum makes 10 rwhp i would be happy because i am just trying to stack the deck at this point and add as much power with bolt-ons as possible. My concern is just as someone else mentioned; i am concerned that my dyno comparison won't be as controlled as i would like because swapping that plenum is a 3 - 4 hour ordeal and the only way i can think about going about this would be to do the entire process the same exact way. Other than driving it down there again and dynoing it at 11:30am on a day that's just as hot as the last one and doing it with the tune for 2 pulls and then without, i can't think of another way to try and back to back this comparison without skewing data and that's the way i will go about it.

For what it's worth, at partial throttle the car is even more responsive than it was with the stock plenum and i think that the air filter adds to the effect of the sound symposer because the cabin noise from the intake is louder than it was.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:29 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 778 Posts

Subbing. Just bought a new GTS and planning to take my car to BGB for mods I cant wait to see updated dyno numbers.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:40 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Subbing. Just bought a new GTS and planning to take my car to BGB for mods I cant wait to see updated dyno numbers.
Congrats! How do you like it thus far? I am just waiting on a bypass pipe and intercoolers at this point and then I can focus on my track upgrades. I want an aero kit!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:22 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Watching this thread with great interest. Been tracking my 991.2 Base quite a bit lately...going to start off by changing the brake fluid, wheel/caliper studs, pads and going from there...

Last 2 track days were in 90* ambient up here in Chicago...oil temps remained at 244* pretty much all day, even after running one session for nearly 50 mins.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Watching all this with keen interest, and good on the lot of you for playing with this 3.0. Gonna be interesting to watch development on the aftermarket side...there has to be real headroom, but it will be also interesting to watch how the engine's character is affected. Some won't care much about that, but it's a big part of the engine's charm for me.

Thoughts on dyno difficulties as well as "not so fast" with the intake plenum make a lot of sense, as dyno testing is tricky on its own and these cars don't make it easier—and "bigger" ain't necessarily better when it comes to competing with factory-level intake/exhaust design.

Keep on keepin' on....

pete
Old 07-26-2018, 06:27 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Some fresh Cup 2's on. Prepping for my big track day.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
Old 07-26-2018, 06:37 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

YES!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:04 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 306 Posts

If catless headers (or is it a cat bypass?) are installed on a 991.2 GTS, would both exhaust sound and power improve? If so, what sort of improvements would be expected with original software and IPD?
At the least, it seems the more open exhaust would be noticeable and turbo lag would be reduced, peak torque should come at lower rpm as the turbos spoil up more quickly, and maybe remain till a higher rpm because of lower back pressure(?), and peak engine temperatures should drop a bit due to lower back pressure. Is any of this right?
Old 07-28-2018, 11:05 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^I've got BMC filter, Headers, and Bypass pipes.

The torque is much bigger and the car loves higher RPMS. Turbos definitely spools up faster. The sound is amazing. Tons of looks and thumbs up. Car should have came like this stock IMO. No drone at all in the cabin and with PSE off it's stock level of quietness.

Every gear pulls harder than the one before. Shifting at full throttle from 3rd to 4th and feeling that 4th gear pull is fantastic. Haven't really paid attention to the temps but it's definitely cooler in Sport/Sport+.

Just can't wait till I get that Cobb mailbox and the intercoolers. I'll be all ready for stage 2 tuning. I could see first gear becoming useless after this.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:38 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
^. I could see first gear becoming useless after this.
How fast do you drive into your garage?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread