Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating putting racing stripes on the car. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:06 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 254 Posts

Racing stripes add about 50 hp.
Seriously, I think they look tacky and ruin the clean lines of the car. But it is a personal thing.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:28 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999
I’ve done it before and regretted it. I think in pictures they look great, in person, stickers on a Porsche looked cheap. The sun shines off them different than the rest of the car and it doesn’t turn out like you see it in your mind. Just my opinion, but been there, done that, and I’d never do it again.
Disagree.

My 82 has gotten far more compliments since adding the stripe.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven’t had those markings personally, but I happen to like those. The ones low on the side with the word “Porsche” are classic and fit with the brand. The stripes I had and didn’t like were the lines over the top, like the Ferrari pictured earlier. Your car looks great!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:32 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Porsche's been adding stickers to cars for almost five decades. I say go for it if that's what you want. They are easily removed if you don't like them so all you'll be out is some money. I like the stripe kit you posted on the 991.1 GT3.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You asked so my opinion is stripes=horrible=ricer. Sorry.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the opinions everyone, I really appreciate it! I'm going to go for it, and will order the color combo pictured on the GT3 I posted, with the matte dark grey.

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
have you considered 911R style stripes?
I've very seriously considered them. If I'm not happy with how these turn out, I may go that route.

Originally Posted by vjd3
Those stripes are similar to what you would find on a Ferrari F430 Scuderia ... generally, Ferrari goes darker on the lighter colors and lighter on the darker colors. They would do a darker gray on the silver which might look good with your black rims. I don't think a silver or lighter silver is going to show up very well.
Good call on the Scud, I knew I had seen similar stripes somewhere before!

Originally Posted by StormRune
That all matches up with my thoughts, including the red trim and black main stripe for your silver car. I've admired that particular K2 stripe set over the years, sides included (and I don't l generally like most side stripes). I think with your aerokit and diffuser it will look sharp.

It is pretty close to the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 stripe scheme which has also been a favorite for me.
I really like that single stripe kit too!
Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Hate to say it but I agree. If you go with a throwback livery like what the R has you might be able to pull it off, but I personally think that Porsche knows what they are doing and when the car leaves the factory line at Zuffenhausen, it is perfect as is. The way I look at it is I am nowhere near as smart as Porsche's design team, YMMV
Old 04-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

I have seen one GTS with 911 R stripes and it looked great, go do it !
Old 04-04-2018, 05:38 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Hate to say it but I agree. If you go with a throwback livery like what the R has you might be able to pull it off, but I personally think that Porsche knows what they are doing and when the car leaves the factory line at Zuffenhausen, it is perfect as is. The way I look at it is I am nowhere near as smart as Porsche's design team, YMMV
+2, though he left out "cheesy-racer-wanna-be". These cars look too good "as-is". I even have trouble with those rear fender protector thingies. Yuk. Even chipped paint looks better than those. JMO...
Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like the stripes, do it! Martini stripes would rock on a Porsche.

Imagine years later & you would be wondering “what if”. Just do it life is too short to hold back.

PF
The following users liked this post:
ITALIAMOTORSPORT (08-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Contemplating putting racing stripes on the car. Thoughts?