Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diminished value or total write off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

looks totaled to me....i mean just those brakes are probably 6k (for the front) headlights are another $5k for both, then airbag etc etc
Old 07-11-2018, 05:49 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Ouch. My guess is >80K. Front bumper cover alone is $2500, paintwork to blend, new front hood, straighten frame, radiators...
Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

IMO there is zero chance this car isn’t written of as a total loss. It’s at least $40k of damage...probably more.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I would NOT want that ride back...and that will be WAY over $40k to fix. GL to your friend, as others have said take it to the most expensive and reputable collision center and get that bill to continue to rise! Make sure he provides ANY receipts he has for things like window tint, exhaust etc...it all adds up!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:51 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 402 Posts

Thanks all for the replies. Not my car like I said but one of my close friends. Accident happened in AZ. Car was taken to local shop which is also a Porsche Certified Collision Center. Started to take it apart this week and he just told me that they stopped at $95k on the repairs ledger! Adjuster has totaled the car out! There is frame damage, axle damage, brake damage to include PCCBs, lights, etc. They're sending him a certified check for $130k or so and then he thinks he may be able to get another $10-15k in diminished value and then possible additional $$$ for rental car replacement and loss of use.

Sucks as it was a beautiful car....compared to my 2 yr younger 991 Carrera S! He had blown a turbo last year and I remember that costing him $28k to replace back east before he moved to AZ. I was amazed as that was like the cost of a small compact car=just for a turbo but it was covered under warranty so nothing out of his pocket. Good side I guess is that now he gets to go car shopping again and there are some nice ones out there. Hurricans, McLarens, new Aston Martin Vantage, Vette Z-07, Ferrari 488, etc. Car was fully paid for so at least he'll have a hellava down payment should he choose OR he could invest it and let it grow bigger and get something really nice later! Jacked up way to get a new vehicle/go about it though.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:51 AM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Thanks all for the replies. Not my car like I said but one of my close friends. Accident happened in AZ. Car was taken to local shop which is also a Porsche Certified Collision Center. Started to take it apart this week and he just told me that they stopped at $95k on the repairs ledger! Adjuster has totaled the car out! There is frame damage, axle damage, brake damage to include PCCBs, lights, etc. They're sending him a certified check for $130k or so and then he thinks he may be able to get another $10-15k in diminished value and then possible additional $$$ for rental car replacement and loss of use.

Sucks as it was a beautiful car....compared to my 2 yr younger 991 Carrera S! He had blown a turbo last year and I remember that costing him $28k to replace back east before he moved to AZ. I was amazed as that was like the cost of a small compact car=just for a turbo but it was covered under warranty so nothing out of his pocket. Good side I guess is that now he gets to go car shopping again and there are some nice ones out there. Hurricans, McLarens, new Aston Martin Vantage, Vette Z-07, Ferrari 488, etc. Car was fully paid for so at least he'll have a hellava down payment should he choose OR he could invest it and let it grow bigger and get something really nice later! Jacked up way to get a new vehicle/go about it though.
Good lord...
Old 07-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213

Wow! Doesn't necessarily surprise me, but still, wow!
Old 07-12-2018, 08:47 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you get diminished value on a car that is totaled???
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 AM
DIMINISHEDVALUE
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was going to post this advice to you before I read that your car was totaled. So I will share the same advice with everyone else.

If your car is anywhere near being totaled and the accident was the fault of another, assuming you want the car totaled, get a diminished value appraisal before authorizing repairs. Especially if there were structural damages and/or air bag deployment, your car is going to lose 30%-40% of its value. Present the DV appraisal to the insurer to make them aware that on top of the repair estimate there will be a supplement, car rental charges and a $20K diminished value claim. Add Loss of Use which, at a minimum for a Porsche is $150/Day X how many days you were without the car and insurers are quick to crunch the numbers for the sake of comparison. Many clients have had their cars totaled by doing this.

Should the insurance company be stubborn enough to insist that they will only pay for repairs, you already have your diminished value report so its a win-win to follow this path.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,127 Likes on 674 Posts

"they stopped at $95K"

that is amazing
Old 07-12-2018, 05:36 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Rear fender is dented and the mirror is missing so most of the door would need to be replace.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:36 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Once it is totaled who gets the car? Will they part the car out and try to recoup some money ? Will they sell the car as is perhaps? Who Would buy it?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Watch for it to show up at a Copart auction or L.A. Dismantler’s soon.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 172 Posts

Push for way more then 130k. Its 140k at auction maybe. Unless the car had like 40k miles on it or something.

The cheapest 16 Turbo S you can get from a Porsche dealer today is around 150k. Sales tax alone is another 9-10 grand depending on where he lives in AZ. Its the other persons fault they should make your friend whole.

Slight correction I just check up Manheim. 130 is way too low. I also sent you a PM. This isn't even retail, this is what dealers are paying.

Last edited by NiteJav; 07-13-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:21 PM
dgoldenz
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 206 Posts

Just totaled my Cayenne and insurance gave me a really good number for it. Private party was $40k but I had a very high MSRP build ($156k) and after reviewing comps and options they are giving me $53.8k. I paid $47.9k plus tax 4 months ago. I'd see what the insurance company offers and go from there but yeah $130k sounds way low for a 2016 Turbo S

Quick Reply: Diminished value or total write off?