Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 03:35 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Glad you got it solved by replacing the USB cable. The USB cable needs to be 2.0 or 3.0 version. Yeah, some of cheap cables I have gotten online don't work.

Rev matching is not controlled by the suspension controller. Its controlled by the ECU.

Any diagnostic scan tool that is designed to communicate with the OEM controller is not going to communicate with the DSC controller. DSC has a different programming languages in order have its awesome functions. As such, DSC has its own communication software. Attempting to comminute with DSC controller using a scan tool designed for OEM controller will show "device offline" or "no comm" or "comm error" or something along those lines because the device that the scan tool is trying to read isn't there. It would be same scenario as attempting to communicate with the PCM with an aftermarket radio installed.

We used to name the files "Tour" and "RS" (which is not to be confused with the names of the Porsche car models, we used to name the files to sound catchy for marketing to relevant keywords at the time). We stopped doing that in 2022. The Tour file was for older controllers made up through year 2020, which isn't compatible with newer controllers made 2021-newer. Tour file was our best effort for that time period. Which we are still honored and proud of for the achievement. Your new 2024 DSC controller is the newest hardware and has our most highly developed file in it. It is an evolution of the 2021-2022 RS file which contains the best elements from the previous 2018-2020 Tour file. You already have the best of our engineering cherry picked to combine with our newest hardware. I am afraid some of the info from this long thread started from 2018 is outdated based on current circumstance. Electronics rarely stay the same for 5+ years. And we keep pushing and evolving to do better.
hi Tom, how and where can I download the the newest file for my 991.1? Bought the unit in 2020, like to know if the new update can be retro-installed unit bought in 2020?

thanks
Old 02-28-2024, 07:38 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
hi Tom, how and where can I download the the newest file for my 991.1? Bought the unit in 2020, like to know if the new update can be retro-installed unit bought in 2020?
I think this is answered in another thread Post #38
Old 02-28-2024, 08:01 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jberb55
The opaque versioning is frustrating. As folks in that thread pointed out, they should have called them V3.1 etc. Further, it's beyond me why the config files aren't widely available. It seems that DSC considers the data files as part of their IP but it's unclear whether they're copyrighted in some way (they're binary files and don't seem to contain license information). It would be ideal for the community if they could be uploaded and shared on something like GitHub so we could all benefit from each other's work.

I have the GT3 Touring file for the pre 2020 DSC to share, please DM me. I got it from another kind RLer since I wasn't sure what was on mine when I bought it here in the marketplace. At the time I didn't even know there was a later version (nor do I assume any bad intent from the seller).
The following users liked this post:
Ksdaoski (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 03:44 AM
TsaiCo
Racer

Originally Posted by jberb55
thanks bud!

Old 02-29-2024, 08:18 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 408 Posts

Is this module ever going to have Bluetooth incorporated so a cord is not needed for tweaking?
Old 02-29-2024, 08:21 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Is this module ever going to have Bluetooth incorporated so a cord is not needed for tweaking?
This is a great idea. But rest assured, if it happens, it won't be able to be retrofitted - you'll have to buy a new unit.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:24 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I would say NO. It's clear the company producing these is going backwards in what they are providing to users. There is nothing to indicate they would want to spend more money in R&D to enhance the customer interface and experience.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:06 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
I would say NO. It's clear the company producing these is going backwards in what they are providing to users. There is nothing to indicate they would want to spend more money in R&D to enhance the customer interface and experience.
My take on this (and I'm in the tech industry, particularly open source) is that devices like this have great value but their closed programming interfaces & APIs reduce what they could be capable of. A device that does what the DSC product does would be immensely more valuable if they had an open, documented programming interface that others could build on and share configs for. Same goes for countless other devices that are not only proprietary but also have restricted, opaque or outright locked interface for management.

Imagine a scenario where the devices could be managed over a well documented API via a straightforward data format. Enthusiastic community members could provide alternate ways to interface with the devices and we could share config files with each other freely. Look at what @PV997 has done with the PDK distance sensor. The will to build and improve is out there. We could have a cheap bluetooth interface or better software (macOS etc) and much more collaboration on what works for various setup.

Instead we're at the mercy of DSC and TPC Racing (both great outfits) and "hey does anyone have the config file from 2019?". Not ideal IMO. I contend that if these devices were open from the get-go, they'd sell even more of them and we'd all benefit. Hell the vendors would probably have less support load than today because vibrant communities are magic when it comes to figuring things out. Alas.

Rant over. Carry on.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:37 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 100 Posts

nothing wrong with your comments but I have three counters for them:
1. they definitely aren't hurting for business, products are often on back order either due to demand or lack of parts.
2. I'm thinking that it's pretty much impossible to hack into their closed system. I doubt that the same could be said of a public system.
3. there are a lot of people who have no ambition to be world shakers, they have a great small business that doesn't consume every minute of their time and life is good.
cbredesen (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 12:49 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rensoyka
nothing wrong with your comments but I have three counters for them:
1. they definitely aren't hurting for business, products are often on back order either due to demand or lack of parts.
2. I'm thinking that it's pretty much impossible to hack into their closed system. I doubt that the same could be said of a public system.
3. there are a lot of people who have no ambition to be world shakers, they have a great small business that doesn't consume every minute of their time and life is good.
I doubt #2 is correct; the software uses serial comms over USB which is probably quite hackable given the abilities of people in the industry. I have just enough satisfaction with the current product that I wouldn't bother to get my hands dirty attempting it (and lack the tech ability I once had...) so I won't be the one but I would not bet against someone figuring this out if they wanted to. That said, I don't think the other points are wrong; I just wish more vendors had an open mindset rather than defaulting to closed/locked/opaque.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:15 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
This is a great idea. But rest assured, if it happens, it won't be able to be retrofitted - you'll have to buy a new unit.
That's understandable. I'm more of a set it and forget it type of person anyways. But I'm spoiled with the V1 Gen2 Bluetooth interface which makes tweaking and program updates a breeze.

If they were planning on this upgrade I would hold off on purchasing...... that's the reason for my question.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 02-29-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:17 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Originally Posted by cbredesen
The opaque versioning is frustrating. As folks in that thread pointed out, they should have called them V3.1 etc. Further, it's beyond me why the config files aren't widely available. It seems that DSC considers the data files as part of their IP but it's unclear whether they're copyrighted in some way (they're binary files and don't seem to contain license information). It would be ideal for the community if they could be uploaded and shared on something like GitHub so we could all benefit from each other's work.

I have the GT3 Touring file for the pre 2020 DSC to share, please DM me. I got it from another kind RLer since I wasn't sure what was on mine when I bought it here in the marketplace. At the time I didn't even know there was a later version (nor do I assume any bad intent from the seller).
I'm going to PM' you for that file (thanks for that!). I'm sure Tom and his crew are busy with escalating business and race prep, but, I'm really dying to find out some bugs I found. read most of the threads on the forum, and not sure if the bug I found had been discovered. for example, I made the changes on the shock calibration to 1300 mA at sport mode (red frame) by hitting the "update" and "write all" buttons. I saved the file as a separate pdts file, when I go back to read and the configuration on the DSC later on, it seems like it was not changed.

one other time, once i changed it, it changed for "normal" mode and "sport" mode, which what I want for Normal mode to stay at 1500 mA and Sport Mode to be 1300 mA.

i'm in the IT industry as well, the proble I have is cant find the info to get some consistancy on the module. watched clips and read forum, seems like there is a way to save changes by "reset the board" which I've done all the way through the process.

i'm going to try this again today and see if I can have different discovery, and wait for @Tom@TPC Racing to reply my emails.

cbredesen (02-29-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 05:20 PM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 100 Posts

finally was able to take my car out for the first drive after installing the DSC, thank you climate change. the ride seems to be smoother driving around town in normal mode. the biggest difference I notice is when taking corners. in the stock controller I would feel a fair amount of body roll going fast around corners or roundabouts. with the DSC it feels completely flat, that is a marked difference. doesn't matter if it's in normal or sport mode, the suspension instantly responds and the car just sticks to the road. this is exactly what I was looking for and DSC delivered. I think that the drive to B.C. is going to be a joy.
Zylinderkopfdichtung (03-03-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 05:24 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Originally Posted by rensoyka
finally was able to take my car out for the first drive after installing the DSC, thank you climate change. the ride seems to be smoother driving around town in normal mode. the biggest difference I notice is when taking corners. in the stock controller I would feel a fair amount of body roll going fast around corners or roundabouts. with the DSC it feels completely flat, that is a marked difference. doesn't matter if it's in normal or sport mode, the suspension instantly responds and the car just sticks to the road. this is exactly what I was looking for and DSC delivered. I think that the drive to B.C. is going to be a joy.
I felt the same way, it is much better to drive, but, I'm sad, I don't feel the difference when sports suspension is pressed or not. Perhaps at a higher speed?
Old 03-05-2024, 05:31 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
I felt the same way, it is much better to drive, but, I'm sad, I don't feel the difference when sports suspension is pressed or not. Perhaps at a higher speed?
Same, but I just leave it in sport mode all the time

This comment explains why this probably is the case: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1101...l#post18844016

TBH I want to set them up with a bit more distinction between them but I have to borrow a Windows laptop again and I haven't gotten around to it.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module