Sponsored by:

Swap out original gauge faces for Red ones

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:51 AM
gofast991s
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swap out original gauge faces for Red ones

anyone change the color of your gauge faces on a 991? Whats involved, and videos how to remove dissasembe and replace
Old 03-06-2019, 03:42 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

While I haven't changed the gauge faces, I recall that the removal of the instrument cluster is relatively "easy." Most of the initial work required is removing various trim bits on the dash, steering column, etc. just to get to the screws holding the cluster in place (see pic below). Once you get to the screws -- and there are only 4 of them -- remove them and pull a single electrical connector out of the cluster you are done. You then have to get the gauge faces off, but I don't have the details on doing that. I would search RL as I know there are others who have done this already. You could also contact FVD as they sell a large number of gauge faces for Porsche and I am sure if you asked they can either point you in the right direction or provide their version of installation instructions. The following pic is from the PIWIS WM_902519 (let me know if you need this WM or the preliminary work WMs).
Old 03-07-2019, 06:45 AM
gofast991s
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great!

Thanks for all that info, will check with FVD today. Great feedback👍
Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Guessing you will also need to remove the steering wheel to get the gauge cluster out of the dash.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:25 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by gofast991s
Thanks for all that info, will check with FVD today. Great feedback👍
Gofast - Curious if you ever heard from fvd or did this job. Contemplating changing to white from black.
Old 07-26-2023, 02:16 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Guessing you will also need to remove the steering wheel to get the gauge cluster out of the dash.
Not required. I have removed and installed clusters many times without removing the steering wheel. Anyone have tips on gauge needle removal as to not disturb functionality?
Old 07-27-2023, 12:02 PM
straka
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Not required. I have removed and installed clusters many times without removing the steering wheel. Anyone have tips on gauge needle removal as to not disturb functionality?
I removed the tach needle to replace the tach face, going from black to red. I wouldn't recommend swapping out the face as the replacement face was not OEM quality with poor backlighting. Resetting the tach needle to read accurately was very difficult. Upon starting the motor the needle would be hundreds of rpms off even though it showed its accurate position with the motor off. The tach doesn't auto-calibrate at startup like many other cars. Porsche factory calibration required. I lucked out after 5 or 6 attempts, each attempt requiring removal and disassembly of the gauge cluster to reinstall the needle, compensating the new needle position for the previous error. One Rennlist member said the way around this problem is to install the tach needle at idle rpm when the cluster is connected and motor running. I went back to the OEM dark gray face (Carrera S.) My reason for the red color change was to highlight the tach from the other gauges. In the end I solved this by installing a brushed aluminum look bezel just around the tach. Inexpensive, looks great and it emphasizes the slight grey difference of tach face from the other black face gauges. One word of caution when removing the four gauge cluster screws as posted above, use a magnetic socket. Dropping one of those screws down into the dash will loose the screw.

Last edited by straka; 07-28-2023 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2023, 01:56 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by straka
I removed the tach needle to replace the tach face, going from black to red. I wouldn't recommend swapping out the face as the replacement face was not OEM quality with poor backlighting. Resetting the tach needle to read accurately was very difficult. Upon starting the motor the needle would be hundreds of rpms off even though it showed its accurate position with the motor off. The tach doesn't auto-calibrate at startup like many other cars. Porsche factory calibration required. I lucked out after 5 or 6 attempts, each attempt requiring removal and disassembly of the gauge cluster to reinstall the needle, compensating the new needle position for the previous error. One Rennlist member said the way around this problem is to install the tach needle at idle rpm when the cluster is connected and motor running. I went back to the OEM dark gray face (Carrera S.) My reason for the red color change was to highlight the tach from the other gauges. In the end I solved this by installing a brushed aluminum look bezel just around the tach. Inexpensive, looks great and it emphasizes the slight grey difference of tach face from the other black face gauges. One word of caution when removing the four gauge cluster screws as posted above is to use a magnetic socket. Dropping one of those screws down into the dash will loose the screw.
Yah a red gauge could be tough with the orange needle, the way I went about lining the the gauge needles is lightly attaching the needed (not full push down) with the gauge not fully reassembled and looked where all the needles landed at start up and readjusted in real time. Also I went with white gauges which really highlight the orange needle.

I am not sure where you acquired your faces from, but mine feel and look very OEM quality.

https://venoxy.com/

It's def worth the upgrade with a quality vendor and little tricks to get the install right.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:23 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 417 Posts

I removed the tach needle to replace the tach face, going from black to red. I wouldn't recommend swapping out the face as the replacement face was not OEM quality with poor backlighting. Resetting the tach needle to read accurately was very difficult. Upon starting the motor the needle would be hundreds of rpms off even though it showed its accurate position with the motor off. The tach doesn't auto-calibrate at startup like many other cars. Porsche factory calibration required. I lucked out after 5 or 6 attempts, each attempt requiring removal and disassembly of the gauge cluster to reinstall the needle, compensating the new needle position for the previous error. One Rennlist member said the way around this problem is to install the tach needle at idle rpm when the cluster is connected and motor running. I went back to the OEM dark gray face (Carrera S.) My reason for the red color change was to highlight the tach from the other gauges. In the end I solved this by installing a brushed aluminum look bezel just around the tach. Inexpensive, looks great and it emphasizes the slight grey difference of tach face from the other black face gauges. One word of caution when removing the four gauge cluster screws as posted above is to use a magnetic socket. Dropping one of those screws down into the dash will loose the screw.
I really want to change my gauge faces to white but reading this gave me like 3 heart attacks so I guess the only way for me is to buy a whole new cluster and sell mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
AdamSanta85 (07-28-2023), jsurf44 (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 02:25 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joec500
I am not sure where you acquired your faces from, but mine feel and look very OEM quality.

https://venoxy.com/

It's def worth the upgrade with a quality vendor and little tricks to get the install right.
Those are the ones I purchased - full set in white.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:26 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I really want to change my gauge faces to white but reading this gave me like 3 heart attacks so I guess the only way for me is to buy a whole new cluster and sell mine.
Or use Miami Speedometer maybe. Porsche Naples suggested them.
The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 02:27 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 118 Posts

Where did you buy the bezel from?
Old 07-27-2023, 02:57 PM
MemoS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
@Tier1Terrier Replacing gauge faces is lot easier than you think. If you can change springs, you can replace gauge faces. 😊 Just tedious and delicate work. You do not need to remove steering wheel. I used and would highly recommend https://venoxy.com/ They are OEM quality!

@XLR82XS Curved bent tip tweezers with rubber silicone tips (Amazon) Disconnect the battery before disassembly. RPM needle has soft stop for "0" and you can feel it as you install it in place.

Last edited by MemoS; 07-27-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 03:49 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MemoS
@XLR82XS Curved bent tip tweezers with rubber silicone tips (Amazon) Disconnect the battery before disassembly. RPM needle has soft stop for "0" and you can feel it as you install it in place.
Thanks. Any of the other gauges have soft stops?
Old 07-27-2023, 04:00 PM
MemoS
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Thanks. Any of the other gauges have soft stops?
Not sure about the rest I just replaced the RPM face.

Quick Reply: Swap out original gauge faces for Red ones