Sponsored by:

OEM Porsche Aluminum Gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 03:48 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by freshness
I got suckered by the counterfeit as well because of posts like this and the moment I installed it I knew it was fake.

the tension isn’t the same as original. So I started looking at it really close and the quality isn’t the same compared to a genuine. People that don’t have an eye for detail would never notice. It might even take a microscope or jewelers loupe to tell.

if you’re happy with the counterfeit, no reason to get a genuine part. But don’t shill false information to other members.
Excuse me? First off, I import from China and know how things work over there. If you need a microscope to tell a difference here's a news flash: There is no difference. Porsche didn't make it in Germany. Harley Davidson chrome accessories are made in Taiwan. It's simply what companies do with less expensive accessories. So Mr. Hot Shot take your two gas caps and show me a difference. There are none. Except the Porsche packaging has thicker cardboard, and the instructions are printed a little nicer.

But the parts, the included lanyards, EVERYTHING or the same. If it were a knockoff, they would have done it for the 992. Or other parts. This is a simple case of a contracted factory making more than a contract called for and moving it out the back door. It happens. I do business there. I've been to the factories. I know what I'm talking about. I suspect next time Porsche didn't use them.

EDIT: I had to come back and read this. Tension and a microscope. That's rich.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 08-24-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:58 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I haven't fallen trap to buying a fancy gas cap yet, but it's clear that these are manufactured in the same facility or contractor that Porsche uses. The tension isn't the same as original? Like any modern gas cap it "clicks" in place when screwed on and no one is seeing a CEL from a poor seal.

FYI, a factory would never go to these lengths to knock off an already inexpensive plastic gas cap. $150 vs $50. And $50 is still a lot for a "knock off" plastic gas cap!

I understand wanting to justify spending the extra $100 on a plastic gas cap because you think the quality is higher, but don't fool yourself. If you think you need a microscope to see the differences, then clearly they've done a great job copying it (ie; throwing OEM ones into off-label boxes).
haha, clearly you have no idea how cheap labor is in China, nor what their margins are.

they make fake oil filters that are 12 new for oem.

also, sure they’ve done a great job but I don’t rock fake ****.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:17 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

haha, clearly you have no idea how cheap labor is in China, nor what their margins are.

they make fake oil filters that are 12 new for oem.

also, sure they’ve done a great job but I don’t rock fake ****.
We can tell. We won't argue with you. Rock your genuine gas cap. Tensioned properly.

The following 2 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
AlexZTuned (08-24-2021), Rich_Jenkins (08-25-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 04:48 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
We can tell. We won't argue with you. Rock your genuine gas cap. Tensioned properly.
I don't think it's necessary that we just exchange insults. I did not mean to get you all rattled up. The fact of the matter is, the gas cap is counterfeit. When I referenced the tension, it's because my genuine gas cap clicks into place and the "PORSCHE" font is perfectly straight every time. With the counterfeit cap, there was no possible way to get the PORSCHE font perfectly straight without it being a bit loose.

I also own a microscope because my line of work requires it. That shouldn't be something we need to take jabs at. I was able to compare the two, and the chinese model has porosity or "jaggedness" around the letters indicating a poor casting/molding process. The original product is absolutely pristine.

Both the original poster and I are in agreement on this. That doesn't detract from the fact the gas cap works and is in great likeness to the original. We both also noticed the differences in packaging and lack of certain markings on the counterfeit.

I wasted 60 dollars on the Chinese gas cap, that is my main frustration that i'd like to steer people away from if any of the above is important to you.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:07 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

I don't think it's necessary that we just exchange insults. I did not mean to get you all rattled up. The fact of the matter is, the gas cap is counterfeit. When I referenced the tension, it's because my genuine gas cap clicks into place and the "PORSCHE" font is perfectly straight every time. With the counterfeit cap, there was no possible way to get the PORSCHE font perfectly straight without it being a bit loose.

I also own a microscope because my line of work requires it. That shouldn't be something we need to take jabs at. I was able to compare the two, and the chinese model has porosity or "jaggedness" around the letters indicating a poor casting/molding process. The original product is absolutely pristine.

Both the original poster and I are in agreement on this. That doesn't detract from the fact the gas cap works and is in great likeness to the original. We both also noticed the differences in packaging and lack of certain markings on the counterfeit.

I wasted 60 dollars on the Chinese gas cap, that is my main frustration that i'd like to steer people away from if any of the above is important to you.
The blue car is my 991 GTS with the Chinese cap. It aligns perfectly either direction as pictured, just like your two.

The white car is my 997.2 GT3 with the OEM cap, and it only works by ending up being upside-down when screwed in. Not sure if this is a defect, but thankfully performance has not suffered.

You said certain markings are missing on the counterfeit.. now THAT means something. Can you show us?

Old 08-24-2021, 06:13 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 454 Posts

U guys are arguing over a gas cap
The following 5 users liked this post by barncobob:
AlexZTuned (08-24-2021), jesm (08-25-2021), oolor13 (08-25-2021), Rich_Jenkins (08-25-2021), Wolpertinger (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 06:22 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

The blue car is my 991 GTS with the Chinese cap. It aligns perfectly either direction as pictured, just like your two.

The white car is my 997.2 GT3 with the OEM cap, and it only works by ending up being upside-down when screwed in. Not sure if this is a defect, but thankfully performance has not suffered.

You said certain markings are missing on the counterfeit.. now THAT means something. Can you show us?
Well that is interesting. I made the purchase at the end of last year, so it's not very fresh in my head. That being said, I did give the gas cap to my employee for him to use on his Panamera, so I still have access to it. I will gladly let you know once i'm able to borrow it from him. OP had a similar issue.

Question, what did your gas cap packaging look like? Was it a zip lock or bubble wrap?
Old 08-24-2021, 06:23 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

No, they are arguing over $100.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:25 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by barncobob
U guys are arguing over a gas cap
Originally Posted by Jim991
No, they are arguing over $100.
Slow day at the office guys.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:10 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
A lot of mind-f**king going on.
Ya I agree but the thread is the thread. Look at it. It's about whether or not the cheap one is fake. Look at the OP.

People debate stupid stuff all the time and if you have no interest in a topic then go to another topic. This one is about the cap and counterfeits. I ignore the thread or unsubscribe if it does not interest me.

to answer the question of @freshness I have the packing somewhere but that's not the point. I expect the packing to be different. But the cap is the same...period. And nothing short of somebody putting up pictures showing them different will prove it to me. It's easy to do. Take closeup detailed picture of your OEM and I'll put up one of mine.

If somebody wants to spend the extra $100 than that's fine.

But don't say I'm "shilling false information to other members" I take my membership here and being helpful to others seriously.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 08-24-2021 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:40 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

Ya I agree but the thread is the thread. Look at it. It's about whether or not the cheap one is fake. Look at the OP.

People debate stupid stuff all the time and if you have no interest in a topic then go to another topic. This one is about the cap and counterfeits. I ignore the thread or unsubscribe if it does not interest me.

to answer the question of @freshness I have the packing somewhere but that's not the point. I expect the packing to be different. But it ain't much.
Well don’t worry, I am a man of the people and will post the differences eventually—even if I have to buy another Chinese cap to do so.

I have 2 991.2s I can test this with so I will be as in depth as possible in regards to fitment as well as fit and finish.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:16 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,126 Likes on 673 Posts

freshness - maybe someone counterfeited the counterfeit?
Old 08-25-2021, 12:10 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
freshness - maybe someone counterfeited the counterfeit?
I think some of them could be rejects that didn't meet the spec. Factories supposed to throw them away but if they can sell it for US$50. Why not?

Last edited by THPorsche; 08-25-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:33 PM
AlexZTuned
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I think some of them could be rejects that didn't meet the spec. Factories supposed to throw them away but if they can sell it for US$50. Why not?
Yup, even "genuine" labeled OEM parts have a margin of error where they are rejected - and depending on where the contractor is manufacturing the part, those "rejects" are commonly boxed up and resold to recoup the failure costs.

This is different than simply taking an oversupply of Porsche gas caps and throwing them into a different box and marking them down to sell off the rest of their inventory. Gotta make room for the new style gas caps from the 992's! 😂
Old 08-25-2021, 01:24 PM
freshness
Rennlist Member

While perusing the internet for fake gas caps, I came across fake sport chrono dials if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: OEM Porsche Aluminum Gas cap