Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 11:34 AM
Patrick Knefel
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by Patrick Knefel; 04-28-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:00 PM
becausephilchow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Knefel
Hi Guys, I have done this conversion (PDSL Xenon to PDSL LED) on my 991.1 2012 and have a problem with the PIWIS coding.
The LED lights are working on basic functions (daylight, driving light and high beam) when the AFS module is disconnected, so i assume the wireing was done properly.
When I connect the AFS module and start PIWIS, I see the AFS module and all 4 modules from the LED lights.
The LED lights are than not working properly (only one of the LED are shining) But when I start the coding and calibration, i got several erros.
My suggestion is, that my BCM cannot handle the LEDs because it's from 2012 and I think the LED came from 2014 upwards.
The part number of my BCM is 7PP.907.064FL. Although the lights are not recognised via the Gateway.
Maybe the Gateway is also too old. Has anybody of you done this conversion on a 991.1 <2014 or can help me to choose the right BCM and Gateway?
Did you swap the Windshield too? No right? You just went from PDLS BiXenon to PDLS LED? Did you follow the same DIY as chris2 posted?

Old 04-28-2021, 12:15 PM
Patrick Knefel
3rd Gear

Didn't swap the Windshield. Only the lamps and exactly how chris2 posted...
Old 04-28-2021, 04:38 PM
chris2
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Knefel
Hi Guys, I have done this conversion (PDSL Xenon to PDSL LED) on my 991.1 2012 and have a problem with the PIWIS coding.
The LED lights are working on basic functions (daylight, driving light and high beam) when the AFS module is disconnected, so i assume the wireing was done properly.
When I connect the AFS module and start PIWIS, I see the AFS module and all 4 modules from the LED lights.
The LED lights are than not working properly (only one of the LED are shining) But when I start the coding and calibration, i got several erros.
My suggestion is, that my BCM cannot handle the LEDs because it's from 2012 and I think the LED came from 2014 upwards.
The part number of my BCM is 7PP.907.064FL. Although the lights are not recognised via the Gateway.
Maybe the Gateway is also too old. Has anybody of you done this conversion on a 991.1 <2014 or can help me to choose the right BCM and Gateway?
Are your LED modules out of a 991 or another model? I got mine from a panamera and I had to can go into PIWIS and reprogram the firmware.
Put PIWIS in engineering mode (E) - Settings -> Diagnostics Configuration -> 911, 918s, etc... -> Mode -> Select "E". Save + Exit
Select your LED power supplies (7PP941572*)
Programmierung -> Programmierung ohne Flash-Regel ( Entwicklung )
Flashdatei nachladen & select FL_9X1_7PP941572A or FL_9X1_7PP941572B depending on your model, not sure if it matters between A vs B model (files are in C:/Program Files/Porsche/PIDT_DLS3/Pidt/workspace/vehicle-platform/9x1/flash-data/flash-data/)
Select your programming session, click F12

The SWSG can also be reprogrammed but the only available file is for 970 (panamera), it might not matter so leave that alone. If you have further problems probe around your coding.
You can try to upgrade your BCMs, the files are in the same folder. Try to match your BCM part # to the filenames and use the latest available version. Take a VAL before doing this because your coding could get reset.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:26 AM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a way to avoid windshield replacement (don't care about automatic high beams) and do the rest?
Old 07-25-2021, 01:44 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So,

I have a 991.2 with factory LED and PDLS. Can I just program it to be PDLS+ or do I need new headlights?

thx
Old 11-02-2021, 10:57 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 9972RS
So,

I have a 991.2 with factory LED and PDLS. Can I just program it to be PDLS+ or do I need new headlights?

thx
Can be programmed but US-spec does not utilize all functions of the ROW + feature.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:04 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 74 Posts

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43146/...structure-bill

Adaptive headlights finally approved for US use. I wonder if there will be mfg support for enabling them on cars that have the feature, but programmed out for the US market
Old 01-23-2022, 05:30 AM
s4cyrus
Rennlist Member

hello everybody,

i’ve got a cayenne 92a 2015 with bixenon and pdls wanting to retrofit it with led and pdls+ (if the automatic high beam doesn’t work i don’t care.)

after extracting my xenons and plugging in the leds they lighted up. main beam and intersection light were on in both headlights. also high beam worked when trying it.

all ecus are shown with porsche partnumber in piwis.

my problem is that when i try headlight commissioning in piwis it stops after 6%, doesn’t do anything for a minute, then jumps up to 99% and then tells me that it was not successful.

the only difference between the two headlights i could see is, that the led headlight is missing one of the small pins. the bixenon has got 4 and the led only has got 3. can’t find wiring diagram for bixenon and led in piwis.

my modules are from lichtex, but have porsche branding on them. as they can be seen by piwis i hope that they aren’t the problem.

anybody ever experienced the sampe problems?

can the camera i've got in my cayenne for the traffic sign recognition also be used for the pdls+?

where can i find wiring diagrams for xenon and led headlights and plugs? can't find them in piwis.

beam and intersection light working after plug in

4 day driving leds working after coding attempt

xenon plug

led plug

ecus found

faults

lichtex ecu
Old 01-26-2022, 10:10 AM
cayo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@s4cyrus
Hi I am in the same situation as you with my 958.2.
I have basic xenon headlights with PDLS. I bought two new headlights and ECUs from the same supplier. The numbers of the ECUs are identical to yours and even my newly turned on headlights look like your low beam and adaptive lights on steady. The difference I find compared to you is that the high beams do not work at all, neither in a flashing mode nor in a fixed way. The curious thing is that by removing the ignition key, the 4 LEDs light up only by keeping the light switch in the "auto" position. In other ways, the 4 LEDs never turned on .....
The mistake I get is when I try to commission the lights. Let me explain better ... during the commissioning of the headlights in "maintenance repair", after you are asked to put the car on level, steering straight, ignition ON ertc ..... it seems that the first step does it correctly by programming the 7PP941572BB module.

and here seem to be correct , see image below :

After that, proceeding it does a sort of countdown, and after this I find myself in a point where the piwis says that it continues automatically with ignition ON, but nothing happens anymore .... I only have the choice to end with the key F11. image below :

in the situation above, I have no choice! Could I have been wrong not to wait? I also left about half an hour in that position where it says it automatically continues with ignition ON position, but nothing has concluded!!
Maybe I should allow more time? It just seems stuck there ....... if the piwis was working, I would expect there was a percentage bar graphic.

The errors I get in the diagnosis are the following:

my moduls are this :

I also noticed the difference in the pins of the headlight connector. In the LED headlights, pin 3 seems to be missing, which from the wiring diagrams appears to be the ground of the 4 LED DRL (Day Driving Lights) lights.
let's keep in touch. If I have info I will gladly pass them..... also in whatsapp , so that if we had to find the solution, we could post a useful guide to those who want to perform this retrofit.
What do you get when commissioning the headlights?

Last edited by cayo; 01-26-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:05 PM
cayo
Intermediate

As @s4cyrus suggested i have tried to perform a PASM calibration without luck on cayenne 958.2 facelift year 2017.
Headlights commissioning begin without problems , the problem is that piwis2 do not continue the procedure.... see below screenshot

It look like the piwis do not recognize ignition ON....
Please help me ! i am very grateful.

I have this situation :

What's mean the two highlighted icons ?

Last edited by cayo; 01-31-2022 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add information.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:26 PM
don16
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cayo
As @s4cyrus suggested i have tried to perform a PASM calibration without luck on cayenne 958.2 facelift year 2017.
Headlights commissioning begin without problems , the problem is that piwis2 do not continue the procedure.... see below screenshot

It look like the piwis do not recognize ignition ON....
Please help me ! i am very grateful.

I have this situation :

What's mean the two highlighted icons ?
It simply means there are faults stored against those who ECUs/Modules. We got it working in the end after a few more PASM function tests and PASM calibrations. After this we were able to successfully commision the headlights.

My guess is the lowering link's, although not causing an error or fault were throwing the system off. You also need to do the same which is what that fault code ending 7 is.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:17 PM
cayo
Intermediate

[QUOTE=don16;17942405]
My guess is the lowering link's, although not causing an error or fault were throwing the system off. You also need to do the same which is what that fault code ending 7 is.

[/QUOTE
]
I thank you for the answer. what do you mean by lowering link's?
What behavior did you experience when you were unable to commissiong headlights? Did the flash stop you at a certain percentage? .. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is VCI or piwis or the light modules.
The first step of commissioning terminate ok without problem for module 7PP941572BB. After i am stupidly stucked !
I would not like to buy other modules in the first place.

Last edited by cayo; 01-31-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:38 PM
cayo
Intermediate

i wasted again my time on headlight commisioning .... I haven't solved anything yet unfortunately. I have been researching for a month now, I try in all possible and imaginable ways, but the result is always to put the LED headlights in their box.
I had thought and hypothesized that the problem could be the piwis that did not see injection on ON (see first image of my post # 86) and my post #345 + #350 in this thread :
Chinese PIWIS clone - Page 24 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
I was in the situation of being able to go back only with the F11 key, I even tried with the engine running. ... but nothing to do, commissioning of the headlights was not successful.
I was also suspicious of the fact that, from the ECU main menu, by pressing the F12 key directly, the system identified the ECUs I chose, but with the exception that piwis did not see injection ON. . I had no idea if the problem could be my HSX VCI or the piwis. ??
Regarding this, last Saturday, I wanted to dig a little deeper into the piwis, and I found the setting on my system was not set to the correct way. If I remember correctly it is in SETTING _ Diagnosis Configuration _ Miscellanus, and here in Miscellanus the injection setting was always ON .... It was enough to change the setting and the hypothetical problem that I could have attributed to the software or the VCI HSX, I discarded it, two less things to think about.
Naturally , i tried again headlights commissioning , and even here , I was always stuck in the same situation where I had to abort with the F11 key .
Just this evening, and I don't know how it didn't think before, i simply tried swapping only the two led module headlight control units (the metal ones 7PP941572BB) from one headlight to another (I had never done it before today) . Following this , i tried again to execute headlights commissioning and i found that piwis did not start in programming , piwis say there were no programming rules for the control unit .... This mean that one LED module is not working properly.
Before , I programmed the first module (Left) 7PP941572BB without any problem (see second and third image of my post # 85) but i was again stopped in the situation described above. As a further test, having an hour to catch, I wanted to swap back again the two control units as I had originally mounted them , the commissioning procedure of the headlights for the first left LED module was successful again. It occurs to me that the module I mounted on the right has something wrong with it. Soon I will buy two original and new modules.

Last edited by cayo; 02-07-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:51 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up!

Out of curiosity, there's a single web page that sells all these connectors/plugs?
Spoiler

Thanks

Quick Reply: How To: PDLS+ LED Headlights Retrofit