Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 with PADM error. switching Dynamic Engine Mounts to Standard Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Busiu
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.1 with PADM error. switching Dynamic Engine Mounts to Standard Mounts?

My 991.1 C4S, with the sport chrono package, recently pulled a "PADM disabled service required Driving permitted" error.

In speaking with my mechanic on the phone, he suggested that to save on the replacement cost of the PADM engine mounts which are about $2000 CAD/each, I could consider installing standard (rubber?) engine mounts.

I'd like some help in understanding the implications of doing this and to hear your opinions if this is the right way to go?

The car no longer covered under warranty.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,510 Posts

You have two. Which one is failing; left or right? They are about $1,500 CAD each, not $2k. Replace with the proper parts.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Busiu
AutoX

Originally Posted by LexVan
You have two. Which one is failing; left or right? They are about $1,500 CAD each, not $2k. Replace with the proper parts.
Not sure which one yet, the car still needs to go for a proper diagnosis. I'm trying to set up an appointment in the next few weeks.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:49 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 680 Posts

If mine fail after I am out of warranty that is what I am going to do. These things seem more trouble than they are worth.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Busiu
AutoX

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
If mine fail after I am out of warranty that is what I am going to do. These things seem more trouble than they are worth.
Are you familiar with anyone who has done this?
what are the trade-offs?
Would the PCM need to be re-programmed in the car and would this completely disable the sport and sport+ functions?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:26 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Busiu
Are you familiar with anyone who has done this?
what are the trade-offs?
Would the PCM need to be re-programmed in the car and would this completely disable the sport and sport+ functions?
Perhaps the function of the dynamic engine mounts is entirely driven by the PASM controller? If so, then, you could go with regular engine mounts, spend $1,700 CAD on a DSC V3 and end up with a car that has a cheaper repair cost down the road, and will likely handle better with standard mounts / DSC V3 versus factory PASM + dynamic mounts.

Might be a crazy idea, but worth looking into I think.
The following users liked this post:
S S (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Busiu
AutoX

Hey, Thanks for the feedback up to this point.

I have another question on this subject. I think I may have had a eureka moment....

Are the Dynamic Engine Mounts, just fancy engine mounts that work independently of the Chrono, Sport and Sport+ systems in the car?

I was originally thinking that they are tied into the suspension system but now that I think about it some more, they may be just enhanced engine mounts used only in high performance/cornering/speed situations.

Am I on the right track here?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

The engine mounts are electro-magnetic. I think the first time they were on a street Porsche was with the 997 GT3RS.

They are only activated when you have the PASM system in Sport Plus mode. Since I'm almost NEVER in the just the 'Sport' mode, I'm not sure about that one. When the PASM is in the normal/confort mode the dynamic engine mounts are not active.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:13 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

I wonder if we can just install regular mounts or Rennline mounts, than either tell the car in the PIWIS to disable the active mounts, or trick the cars computer into thinking they are still in place.

I also wonder if a DSC (which has some control over them) could do that.

They don't really feel like they even do anything and just cause more trouble than they are worth. They are way too expensive if you have to pay out of pocket.

Looks like they are still having trouble even with the 992's
https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1034909
Old 10-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Busiu
AutoX

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I wonder if we can just install regular mounts or Rennline mounts, than either tell the car in the PIWIS to disable the active mounts, or trick the cars computer into thinking they are still in place.

I also wonder if a DSC (which has some control over them) could do that.

They don't really feel like they even do anything and just cause more trouble than they are worth. They are way too expensive if you have to pay out of pocket.

Looks like they are still having trouble even with the 992's
https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1034909
We're on the same logic path here....I'd like to install standard engine mounts without any error messages every time that I start up the car, but still keep the Sport and Sport+ suspension active.
The following 2 users liked this post by Busiu:
AdamSanta85 (10-04-2019), d-- (12-30-2021)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Busiu
without any error messages every time that I start up the car
I'm most sure you will get warning messages every time, and doubt a Porsche dealership will turn them off for you. Also doubt any aftermarket software tool can turn the warnings off.
fester (06-13-2020)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'm most sure you will get warning messages every time, and doubt a Porsche dealership will turn them off for you. Also doubt any aftermarket software tool can turn the warnings off.
Never going to get anywhere with an attitude like that.

Perhaps the right combination of resistor will trick the ECU into thinking the mounts are in place, which works on some cars when you remove side airbags or other sensors.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:16 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

I looked into going with static mounts when I had PADM faults on my 981 CS. It was doable, but was going to cost about as much for labor, workarounds, etc. It was a Sport Chrono car, of course, so the computer wasn't going to be used to non-dynamic feedback. I then got an offer for my car, as is, and moved on to the 991.2 T, which after a lot of back and forth investigating (Thanks, Alex!) were determined to, thankfully, to have the static mounts. I like the idea above of coupling them with a DSC and getting some enhanced characteristics anyway, and the DSC will be a lot easier/cheaper to replace if/when it fails.

Going from dynamic to static mounts will firm up the ride and act more like a firm suspension when laying down or pulling off power (the engine mounts, etc. will no longer flex). It will be a very subtle difference, but you will be able to detect it as the lump of weight will no longer move slightly vice being static with the rest of the chassis.

Good luck!

SS
Busiu (10-04-2019)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:39 PM
Minty Fresh
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has there been any headway on the solid mount swap for this PADM issue. Just had a 4th mount go in 5 years and only 35k miles. I've had it, I'm out of warranty and I do not want to pay for another one of these PADM mounts if I can help it. Someone has had to try this somewhere, I can't be the only 991 owner chasing this ridiculous part issue. Cheers
Old 06-09-2020, 10:55 PM
aljus
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Minty Fresh, Must be your lucky day if you have a 991.1 . I have an extra one if you are interested in which I am willing to part with for a lot less than the new part. Let me know.
d-- (12-30-2021)

Quick Reply: 991.1 with PADM error. switching Dynamic Engine Mounts to Standard Mounts?