Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 12:51 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
@Valvefloat991 Actually he is not - after all it's @LexVan - this from Porsche:

Coasting and the auto start/stop function

Where the situation allows, the coasting function is possible. By opening the clutches, the engine is decoupled from the transmission to prevent deceleration caused by engine braking. In this way, optimum use is made of the vehicle’s momentum, allowing it to coast for longer distances. This translates into a significant fuel saving. The auto start/ stop function included as standard also reduces fuel consumption.
Looks like we agree?..isn’t this what I posted above?
Old 01-11-2020, 01:15 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by NightBlueTTS
Looks like we agree?..isn’t this what I posted above?
I do believe you and I are - I was responding to @Valvefloat991 . Here is more information.in detail how auto/stop start function saves gas while driving without actually stopping the engine as it does when at a light etc.Driving in coasting mode
Through attentive driving, fuel can be saved in coasting mode. The vehicle rolls with the engine disengaged and at idle speed without engine braking effect.

Preconditions for automatic coasting mode
  1. Driving in selector lever position D
  2. Auto Start Stop function/coasting mode is switched on.
    Indicator light on button is off.
  3. “Sport”, “Sport Plus” and off-road mode is switched off
  4. PSM is active
  5. Cruise control/Adaptive Cruise Control is not active
  6. Engine, transmission and battery are at operating temperature
  7. Calm/economic driving style
  8. Slight uphill or slight downhill gradients
  • Slowly take your foot off the accelerator.
The engine is disengaged and runs at idle speed. The vehicle rolls with no engine braking effect. Coasting mode is recognizable by the idle speed indicated on the tachometer.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:39 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by amet
almost ready, it’s in a final stages of testing on 991.2 and any Porsche equipped with the steering wheel dial
I think what some folks are missing is that T9 is coming out with an update to their memory module that will remember the last position of the mode selector on the steering wheel, so the car will start in I, S, S+ for you. I know some folks automatically turn the mode **** as part of their routine of starting the car but sometimes I forget. I think this is great news and something that I have been wishing for since I got my car.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (02-04-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 04:49 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by krburrell
I think what some folks are missing is that T9 is coming out with an update to their memory module that will remember the last position of the mode selector on the steering wheel, so the car will start in I, S, S+ for you. I know some folks automatically turn the mode **** as part of their routine of starting the car but sometimes I forget. I think this is great news and something that I have been wishing for since I got my car.
Whats the price on this updated unit?
Old 01-11-2020, 04:50 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

I do believe you and I are - I was responding to @Valvefloat991 . Here is more information.in detail how auto/stop start function saves gas while driving without actually stopping the engine as it does when at a light etc.Driving in coasting mode
Through attentive driving, fuel can be saved in coasting mode. The vehicle rolls with the engine disengaged and at idle speed without engine braking effect.

4. PSM is active
The engine is disengaged and runs at idle speed. The vehicle rolls with no engine braking effect. Coasting mode is recognizable by the idle speed indicated on the tachometer.
That could well have been what LexVan had in mind, though this system doesn't--can't--work with a manual, so it's not clear why he mentioned some benefit with the Auto Start Stop on the highway with a manual transmission.

I also wonder, how much fuel this "coasting" system saves. For example, If I release the accelerator because I see that I'm approaching a red light, I want the car to gradually slow down in gear, which engages the decal fuel shutoff. If the car disengages the clutch, shifts to neutrall, and the engine drops to idle, then in the above circumstance, the car isn't slowing down as much and it's using fuel in the process. Clearly, less efficient.

On the other hand, if you let off the accelerator when coasting down a hill, this "coasting" mode maximizes the car's momentum, though in the process, your speed might rise considerably above the speed limit.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:10 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I've only seen the "coasting" mode work in 7th gear, so it's unlikely to affect me when approaching a red light - I'd use the brakes at some point and the PDK would downshift - and if I'm driving anywhere with traffic signals I've probably already turned my *** off. It doesn't kick in going uphill and also doesn't seem to kick in if I'm gaining velocity downhill. It's been a while, but I think you can manually engage it with an upshift paddle pull in 7th.

I'm also curious about how it works with a manual transmission, though.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:36 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

991's have Auto Stop Start ....I didn't know that ..How silly ..... I have my opinions on these newer cars but I am not going to start up ....
Old 01-11-2020, 07:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,267 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
991's have Auto Stop Start ....I didn't know that ..How silly ..... I have my opinions on these newer cars but I am not going to start up ....
So you are just trolling then?
Old 01-11-2020, 10:26 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
I've only seen the "coasting" mode work in 7th gear, so it's unlikely to affect me when approaching a red light - I'd use the brakes at some point and the PDK would downshift - and if I'm driving anywhere with traffic signals I've probably already turned my *** off. It doesn't kick in going uphill and also doesn't seem to kick in if I'm gaining velocity downhill. It's been a while, but I think you can manually engage it with an upshift paddle pull in 7th.

I'm also curious about how it works with a manual transmission, though.
We're talking about three distinctly different functions here.

*** only operates at idle when the car is stopped, or nearly so. It turns off the engine and rpm drops to zero, until you take your foot off the brake.

Decel fuel shutoff, stops injecting fuel when you take your foot off the accelerator at any speed, in any gear, so long as the rpm is over 1000. So while the engine is spining at whatever rpm is produced by the combination of vehicle speed and gear selected, it is not running, since without nay fuel being injected, the cylinders are not firing. This function is present on all modern cars and cannot be turned off or otherwise affected by the driver. Turning the *** on or off ahs no effect on this function.

The coasting function has been previously described and is the equivalent of coasting with a manual transmission when you have depressed the clutch and/or shifted to neutral. Since the engine management computer cannot regulate the operation of a manual transmission, this function is only available with PDK.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:25 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by krburrell
that’s how it was designed, it remembers where it was left last some the ignition was switched off.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:30 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, never use it, and really happy that our Macan defaults to OFF. From what i've read the start/stop is a gimmick that manufacturers use to get their MPG ratings up. The EPA test course has the cars stopped about 50% of the time. Unless you are sitting still for half your drive, it's not helping much if at all.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:41 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
We're talking about three distinctly different functions here.

*** only operates at idle when the car is stopped, or nearly so. It turns off the engine and rpm drops to zero, until you take your foot off the brake.

Decel fuel shutoff, stops injecting fuel when you take your foot off the accelerator at any speed, in any gear, so long as the rpm is over 1000. So while the engine is spining at whatever rpm is produced by the combination of vehicle speed and gear selected, it is not running, since without nay fuel being injected, the cylinders are not firing. This function is present on all modern cars and cannot be turned off or otherwise affected by the driver. Turning the *** on or off ahs no effect on this function.

The coasting function has been previously described and is the equivalent of coasting with a manual transmission when you have depressed the clutch and/or shifted to neutral. Since the engine management computer cannot regulate the operation of a manual transmission, this function is only available with PDK.
Sorry, I wasn't clear - the only reason coasting has come up at all in this thread is because you need to have *** turned on to enable coast mode. There's definitely two independent features tied to the *** button.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:14 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
T9 sorts out the *** on the 991.1 but not the 991.2.
Don't think this is correct. It does remember disable *** but perhaps not other functions, but all I care about is *** in any case.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:24 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

4. PSM is active
So that's what its doing? I always wondered why my tach was showing about 1000 RPM at 80 mph on the highway. Thought I was is some super overdrive.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
That could well have been what LexVan had in mind, though this system doesn't--can't--work with a manual, so it's not clear why he mentioned some benefit with the Auto Start Stop on the highway with a manual transmission.

I also wonder, how much fuel this "coasting" system saves. For example, If I release the accelerator because I see that I'm approaching a red light, I want the car to gradually slow down in gear, which engages the decal fuel shutoff. If the car disengages the clutch, shifts to neutrall, and the engine drops to idle, then in the above circumstance, the car isn't slowing down as much and it's using fuel in the process. Clearly, less efficient.

On the other hand, if you let off the accelerator when coasting down a hill, this "coasting" mode maximizes the car's momentum, though in the process, your speed might rise considerably above the speed limit.
Plus, I often expect the car to engine brake/slow down as I approach traffic on the highway with my foot off the gas. It is clearly not going to do that with this *** on. Another reason to disable this.

Quick Reply: Auto Start Stop