Need Recommendations on a Sport Exhaust for 991.1 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Need Recommendations on a Sport Exhaust for 991.1 Cabriolet

Dear Rennlisters:

Picked up in January a 2015 Carrera 4 Cabriolet Base with NO factory sport exhaust and NO Chrono Package.
It had only 6K miles of use & a clean CarFax. I was not looking for this particular spec but my Audi dealer here
in Scottsdale had it on trade, needed it moved and made me an offer I couldn't refused if I traded them my 2016
Audi RS7 (with 45K miles). Initially they were asking $75K+ for it. I nominally paid $70K for it and they artificially
raised the trade-in value of my RS7 to $58,300. The highest offer I had for the RS7 from the other Arizona dealers
was around $51K! So I am putting a true acquisition cost of around $65K on the C4 cab, which is probably not a
bad deal for so low-mileage car. The dealer had done a full serviced and replaced the rear tires. One of the advantages
of buying from a Penske dealer is that they allow me to buy their 'Extended Warranty' for a full four years at $3900.
It is less than $1k for year & it's a pretty extensive warranty program whose underwriter is the Penske organization.
Because who stands behind it, it's supposed to be accepted by most, if not all, Porsche dealers for any repairs under
the warranty.

The specs are pretty basic. Sold new at Porsche of Beachwood (Ohio) which coincidentally is where I took delivery of my
2015 'Signal Green' gt3 which I kept for two years before I sold it because I wasn't crazy about PDK. Car was used mostly
at a second home in Scottsdale & that accounts for the low mileage. The only service during the initial five years of ownership
was done at Porsche North Scottsdale (Penske). I am still more of a manual person, but I will try to make the best of this
PDK natural-aspirated cabriolet during the period I will own it (perhaps next four years as a daily driver). I am still waiting
for my allocation of a 718 Spyder which should be coming up this Spring for Fall deliver. The Spyder will be an additional
special occasion driver & not replaced this C4 Cabriolet for daily chores.

So far, I have PPF the front half, plus 'full' cover on wide C4 rear area to protect it from rock chips. I have also
Ceramic coated. All done by Bulldog Detail here in Scottsdale, who also did the same for my 2017 488 Spider.
I am having the base 'Black' calipers painted 'Ferrari Giallo' simply because the original paint is sort of faded and
it will just add a touch of color to the wheel wells. Just a personal choice. I am not a 'Luxor Beige' interior kind of
guy...but that is what this interior is & not much that I can do about it. I am buying a new set of 'Espresso Brown'
mats to make it more practical & color-coordinated (the exterior & top is 'Brown').
Compared to my '15 gt3 or my recent '17 Carrera 2 manual (both with rear axle steering) this base Carrera 4 PDK
is OK...but not that 'quick'. However, the AWD technology is amazing and confident inspiring on twisty roads. I am
fine with the fact that it's a base Carrera 4 but I am trying to see how best to improve the sound.
So I would like to explore the possibility of adding an aftermarket 'valved' sport exhaust to get a much better sound
from this naturally aspirated motor. Which raises the question, which one to get? And that is the reason I have started
this thread. I see that some are Soul supporters in this forum (like the recent thread below). Would love to hear from
anyone that has actual experience with a variety of sport exhaust options to give me some guidance. Would specifically
like to hear from 991.1 base owners with PDK & neither Chrono Pkg nor Factory Sport Exhaust.
I would consider
the Shark Werks $795...but don't know if the drone will be a factor. That would certainly be a cheaper option. But the
idea of a valved exhaust that I could choose to leave open for loud and closed for a quieter ride has considerable appeal.
I thank you in advance for your comments & feedback on the sport exhaust systems fellow Rennlisters recommend.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 02:58 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Look at SOUL
The following 2 users liked this post by HkPlinker:
mikeearly (02-02-2020), Soul Performance (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 09:39 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Look at SOUL
Yes, considering Soul. Thanks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 02-02-2020, 10:17 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Welcome; however, you have been here over 10 years and still not a member?! Regardless, a simple search of this forum using "exhaust" should get you many opinions but Soul is popular and you could still put the PSE on.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:17 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,360 Posts

I went with a TUBI on mine, it works perfectly for what I want (good tone, but not annoying, no drone). I did a full write up several years ago on it at this link, some video in there as well with the sound.

​​​​​​https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...91s-today.html

P.S. I've been here 17 years and not a "paying member". Rennlist became a commercialized site and I don't believe in paying forums for memberships when I add content / expertise especially. They make plenty off ads and sponsors already.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:24 AM
Roswell88
Burning Brakes

Received 352 Likes on 186 Posts

I bought the Soul exhaust for non PSE. I have yet to install it but heard good reviews hence my choice.

As for the paying member, I’ve been on many forums for many years & I never had to pay. What is the benefit for doing so? Why do we need to pay to post a WTB or FS thread? I find it strange.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:05 AM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I researched this alot
if you have pse there are no good cheap options

for or non pse you can have your muffler modified for less than 500 and it will sound SUPER GREAT!!!
i have heard it ...

thats what I would do if I were you.

as for pse cars like mine....dunno yet?
Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by afk
I researched this alot
if you have pse there are no good cheap options

for or non pse you can have your muffler modified for less than 500 and it will sound SUPER GREAT!!!
i have heard it ...

thats what I would do if I were you.

as for pse cars like mine....dunno yet?
PSE makes no difference on fitting an aftermarket exhaust. The control valves that open/close the exhaust are incorporated into both factory and aftermarket exhausts and are vacuum-controlled by the DME in conjunction with RPM's. All the PSE button does is allow for an electrical override of the value opening, nothing more.

On exhausts especially, you get what you pay for.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:22 AM
spraguedawley
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a set of nearly new (less than 100 miles on them) Soul competition headers for cheap if you are interested.

I ended up with the Soul street headers and valved exhaust on my 991.1 GTS and I love it. Highly recommend.

Quick Reply: Need Recommendations on a Sport Exhaust for 991.1 Cabriolet