Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to Swap :: PDLS+ :: What is involved? Any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 07:38 PM
ari.jay.comet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to Swap :: PDLS+ :: What is involved? Any interest?

Recently acquired a 2017 C4S with PDLS+ in standard finish, and I’d like the black version. My car is carmine red and I really just think the black would look killer.

First question:
What is involved? Assuming someone else has the PDLS+ then it should just be a direct swap, correct? I’ve seen a few YT videos showing how to remove the headlights; but just wanted to make sure there is no need for PIWIS etc?

Second question:
Anyone want to make this swap? Where would be best sub forum to post such as this isnt a for sale or a wanted its a “want to trade” ?? I’m in Cleveland, Ohio in case anyone wants to bite. Thanks mods for moving this if not in correct place— I’m a n00b (this is my 2nd Porsche but I’m not an avid forum member, sorry!)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:00 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ari.jay.comet
Recently acquired a 2017 C4S with PDLS+ in standard finish, and I’d like the black version. My car is carmine red and I really just think the black would look killer.

First question:
What is involved? Assuming someone else has the PDLS+ then it should just be a direct swap, correct? I’ve seen a few YT videos showing how to remove the headlights; but just wanted to make sure there is no need for PIWIS etc?

Second question:
Anyone want to make this swap? Where would be best sub forum to post such as this isnt a for sale or a wanted its a “want to trade” ?? I’m in Cleveland, Ohio in case anyone wants to bite. Thanks mods for moving this if not in correct place— I’m a n00b (this is my 2nd Porsche but I’m not an avid forum member, sorry!)
Answer to your first question : Check out my Blog Post on DIY 991(.1) Black Headlamp Upgrade I know, it is a 991.1 but possibly very similar procedure. You shouldn't need PIWIS unless your car throws any codes that need to be programmed. But since your car had PDLS+ as OE you should be able to do a straight swap.

Answer to your second question : Go to marketplace here on RL and in the parts for sale section you post your lights - and just mark as For Trade. Doesn't matter if you are selling or not....

Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
ari.jay.comet (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:28 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Gotta be a member to sell on the list.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you're going to have a tough time finding someone to do that swap. Can buy from Suncoast though... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991G2BLED.html or watch eBay. Will be plug and play if they are the correct units. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:41 PM
ari.jay.comet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Smoltz - thanks, I had found those and just about lost my lunch seeing the price! Haha .... and yes I agree that the chances of finding someone to swap seems slim. Maybe, just maybe, there is someone out there who really wants the shiny versions? Needle in a haystack, I bet...

@points - indeed, I figured that out after I posted this, went there, and tried to post — a few years back when I had my 997 GTS ... I had a paid account for such purposes. So I guess I’ll need to decide if it is worth that price of admission, for a legit WTT thread— thank you.

@plenum - ah your “how to” is helpful — guess I can see the simplicity of doing the swap now — just need to find a “victim” who wants them. Or just keep my eyes open for a used eBay set or wrecked car or whatever. I don’t see myself spending the $$ for new —

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Old 05-12-2020, 11:06 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ari.jay.comet
@Smoltz - thanks, I had found those and just about lost my lunch seeing the price! Haha .... and yes I agree that the chances of finding someone to swap seems slim. Maybe, just maybe, there is someone out there who really wants the shiny versions? Needle in a haystack, I bet...

@points - indeed, I figured that out after I posted this, went there, and tried to post — a few years back when I had my 997 GTS ... I had a paid account for such purposes. So I guess I’ll need to decide if it is worth that price of admission, for a legit WTT thread— thank you.

@plenum - ah your “how to” is helpful — guess I can see the simplicity of doing the swap now — just need to find a “victim” who wants them. Or just keep my eyes open for a used eBay set or wrecked car or whatever. I don’t see myself spending the $$ for new —

Thanks everyone for the replies!
@ari.jay.comet - What I did was bought a used pair of blacks, swapped with my OE's, but kept them in storage. Then, When I was changing the car out, I swapped the OEs back for the black headlamps, and in turn sold those to another owner -- and I actually broke even after two years! If I recall, it was another RL member. I took great care of the headlamps so I was able to sell them for what I paid due to condition. I was lucky, honestly, considering how many nicks and chips are possible. So you can do what I did, get some $$ back later, or maybe just find a buyer for your OEs to offset the cost of the blacks? Used is def the way to go though, as each black-trim headlamp is ~$2,300 (that's with a discount!!).
Good luck, whatever path you choose!
Plenum
The following users liked this post:
ari.jay.comet (05-12-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

People like me that ordered a car with them will never trade since the Black ones look so much better on most colors. There are a couple places though that make Black decals for the edges so if you are not that picky they could be an option for you such as these: https://kistudios.com/product/porsch...eadlight-trim/
Old 05-13-2020, 11:19 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Second hand market is probably your best choice. The issue is the complete compatibility between the hardware as beggars can't be choosers.
Like mentioned above, keep the originals and swap them back as they don't really add to the value of the car. You could break even in the end.
Try dismantlers as well (LA dismantlers - no affiliation). If the HL throws a code, your friendly stealership may solve with PIWIS. If not you can always sell.

I've done worse. In the time of PCM 3.1, I bought an used unit with the trunk DVD navigation player for a 987 Boxster I had at the time. Turned out that the donor was a C4S w/ Bose. So when I finished installing everything I got no audio (external amplifier missing as I didn't have Bose) and the navigation was useless (DVD player stays vertical on AWD 997, the car thought I was going up and down if I hit the gas or brake- the DVD worked as an accelerometer).
In the end I sold all of it, did break even, but with a lot of headaches and a lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Want to Swap :: PDLS+ :: What is involved? Any interest?