Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 04:34 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 72 Posts

The issue started yesterday afternoon in my 2013 C2S. Reboot every 30 seconds. I’ll call my service department.

Another oddity began a few months ago. At random times my radio will switch to a Spanish music station. Anybody else have that going on the past few months?
Old 05-21-2020, 04:43 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Just talked to SA.......reset PCM To factory settings......erases everything....now start like a new car. PIA but seems to fix!
Old 05-21-2020, 04:44 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Here's what my SA just said:

"Hi John. Porsche knows about the glitch. There is no fix for it at this minute. Give it 24 hours and it should self-correct."

I'm not so sure about that working, but OK. I asked him to text me once the solution was known (even if it's "self-correcting") and I would put my fuse back in then and see if it's working properly.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GraSox
Just talked to SA.......reset PCM To factory settings......erases everything....now start like a new car. PIA but seems to fix!
How exactly do you do that? I'm not in my car right now. Is it obvious in a PCM menu?
Old 05-21-2020, 05:24 PM
Southbranch
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 130 Posts

My dealer just did the reset on my 2016 GTS. Everything seems to be working correctly again. They said other customers who've had it done reported success too.

Apparently something similar happened to Porsche PCMs with Sirius XM back in 2013. My Porsche dealer was using the same 8/28/2013 memo with reset instructions as they did back then. Here is the key instruction:

"Please be aware this procedure will delete all presets, navigation destinations, telephones, etc., from the PCM. A PIWIS Tester II is not required to carry out the following procedure and it is also described in the PCM operator's manual under the heading "Resetting personal settings". This procedure can be carried out by the customer, the vehicle is not required to be in the workshop.
- Press and hold the PCM >> Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
- Immediately select the following from the PCM: CAR >> OPTION >>Set PCM System >>Reset PCM >> Vehicle Handover >> Yes >> Yes"

The memo goes on to explain that if this doesn't work, dealers can use PIWIS to fix it with a zipped image file/software repair disc.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 PM
wastedimage
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This worked for me in a 991.1 Turbo S
  1. Go into your PCM, click info or car or whatever until you get to the Reset PCM to Factory option. Push that. Tell it Yes. Clear everything. You should still have a Reset PCM button.
  2. Now pull our your phone and go here and do the thing with your radio id on xm chan #0 - https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefr...#/refreshradio
  3. Immediately reset the PCM again.
You probably don't need to do it twice but that's what I did and it worked. The first time I either fiddled up the timing or two is required for some reason.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:47 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

As stated the above worked
Old 05-21-2020, 05:56 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Tried the various resets and am planning on pcm hard drive clone and transplant.

I've not tried the Sirius / xm clear, but it seems like a hard drive issue.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just noticed the same re-booting issue in my 2015 GTS. Called the dealer and the Service Manager said he received an email bulletin today from PCNA stating they are well aware of the issue, which apparently started today, and are working on a fix. I mentioned that my car is out of warranty, but he told me that they'll take care of the issue no charge. He took my contact info and put it into his rapidly growing list of people who've called today with this issue. Said he'd call me when they have a fix.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:13 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you saying you just got this same bug last night just as everyone else in the US, and just did this procedure, and it worked? PCM back to normal?
Thx

Originally Posted by wastedimage
This worked for me in a 991.1 Turbo S
  1. Go into your PCM, click info or car or whatever until you get to the Reset PCM to Factory option. Push that. Tell it Yes. Clear everything. You should still have a Reset PCM button.
  2. Now pull our your phone and go here and do the thing with your radio id on xm chan #0 - https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefr...#/refreshradio
  3. Immediately reset the PCM again.
You probably don't need to do it twice but that's what I did and it worked. The first time I either fiddled up the timing or two is required for some reason.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:19 PM
dbk123
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Is there any evidence that this problem affects cars WITHOUT an active Sirius subscription? (Out of town and hoping I don't return to a dead battery...)
Old 05-21-2020, 06:23 PM
wastedimage
Track Day

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
Are you saying you just got this same bug last night just as everyone else in the US, and just did this procedure, and it worked? PCM back to normal?
Thx
Yes. I fix and break software for a living. Mostly break. But this did fix it. I took a conference call and drove about 30 mins around town to confirm. I called my dealer to let them know and they are testing as well. Before the fix it reboot like every 180 seconds or so.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:26 PM
wastedimage
Track Day

Originally Posted by dbk123
Is there any evidence that this problem affects cars WITHOUT an active Sirius subscription? (Out of town and hoping I don't return to a dead battery...)
So Xm is free this month, but maybe you have to opt in?
Old 05-21-2020, 06:27 PM
wastedimage
Track Day

Originally Posted by 450knotOffice
I just noticed the same re-booting issue in my 2015 GTS. Called the dealer and the Service Manager said he received an email bulletin today from PCNA stating they are well aware of the issue, which apparently started today, and are working on a fix. I mentioned that my car is out of warranty, but he told me that they'll take care of the issue no charge. He took my contact info and put it into his rapidly growing list of people who've called today with this issue. Said he'd call me when they have a fix.
Mine told me the same thing but I am a very impatient person. Try the fix I posted above. It worked right away for me. Be sure to reset both things in the PCM reset menu.
The following users liked this post:
450knotOffice (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 06:52 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Southbranch
My dealer just did the reset on my 2016 GTS. Everything seems to be working correctly again. They said other customers who've had it done reported success too.

Apparently something similar happened to Porsche PCMs with Sirius XM back in 2013. My Porsche dealer was using the same 8/28/2013 memo with reset instructions as they did back then. Here is the key instruction:

"Please be aware this procedure will delete all presets, navigation destinations, telephones, etc., from the PCM. A PIWIS Tester II is not required to carry out the following procedure and it is also described in the PCM operator's manual under the heading "Resetting personal settings". This procedure can be carried out by the customer, the vehicle is not required to be in the workshop.
- Press and hold the PCM >> Info button for approximately 10 seconds until the PCM reboots.
- Immediately select the following from the PCM: CAR >> OPTION >>Set PCM System >>Reset PCM >> Vehicle Handover >> Yes >> Yes"

The memo goes on to explain that if this doesn't work, dealers can use PIWIS to fix it with a zipped image file/software repair disc.

Good luck.
Did it. Fixed it. Just needed to reconnect phone and resend SiriusXM signal.

Good to go.

Last edited by shammerman; 05-21-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: PCM Issue with recent iOS Update?