Installing AWE foils *without* pulling door panels, and new door stays

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:43 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Installing AWE foils *without* pulling door panels, and new door stays

I had a memorial day project but finished it Friday night - Oh well... In the process I made a discovery for would-be-installers of AWE foil/triangles by the mirror... They tell you to take the door panel off, and I understand why, it's super easy... But it's not strictly necessary if you are intimidated... I'll get back to it...

So I have a 2013 without visible screws there so I was gonna pull the panels for the triangles AND new door stays that do not squeak and make my Carrera sound like a 90s hyundai. $29 or so per side, not costly...

I should not work on the car on Friday nights after a rough week at work, yes it's relaxing, but I ended up doing everything 3x being a total spaz... I pulled the door panel easily (see video on youtube, pay attention to the door handle cable part). Unfortunately for me I did the triangle and thought the door stay didn't require the panel off - or I just spaced out I genuinely don't know WTF I did - so I buttoned it up only to realize it all should come apart again ;-) The second time I put the door panel back.... I forgot the door cable ;-) 3x that side... A panel can come off in 2 minutes ( I timed it) when you know what you are doing the third time!

So the triangles: *IF* you are scared of pulling the panel on an early car with no visible screws and have non leather panels, the foam bends a bit, all you need to do is undo the 3 screws circled in the picture below and gently pull on the panel, you can insert a torx 15 bit there and undo the little triangle screw, make sure not to drop it in the door, then put the new triangle and boom, no damage at all... (Personally I think you are one screw away from pulling the panel anyway but hey)...

The door stays require that you pull the door panel and also *some* of the inner door panel - I removed some of the white clips only and was able to bend the inner panel at its bottom corner slightly to insert my hand there and remove the old and slide in the new door stay... it's cake... Some pictures below...

Door panel out in 2 minutes with simple trim tool and torx 30 I think

Crappy old grease on old squay door stay , that got everywhere but did not silence the door - of course I cleaned it all

Those are the only white clips (pull the center pin, they come with) that I pulled to bend the inner door panel slightly and remove the door stay from behind/under the big speaker...

Pretty new one - remember to reinsert the plastic cap before you reattach (ahem, not that I would forget, eh). I did.

I found that this inner triangle was a PITA to reinstall but once positioned on the clips it responds to a rubber mallet's attention.

So that's what I meant about not needing to pull the panel - pull the caps here and behind the door handle, remove 3 torxs screws circled, pull gently on the panel by the arrow and the torx 15 is visible. Pulling the whole panel makes it less of a chance of damaging anything - especially if you have leather or special option dromadary skin there , and it's not hard, but it's not 100% necessary ! I know because I forgot to do triangle 2 when doing door stay 2 and I did it that way !

Result - deflector triangle thingie

Crap old stays, caked in grease, bye-bye... $29 each why not...

Last edited by Greg D.; 05-22-2020 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:16 AM
911CSC
Pro

Received 358 Likes on 186 Posts

I installed them on my 991.2 and it took 2 mins a side. Got them from Suncoast
Old 05-24-2020, 12:39 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CSC
I installed them on my 991.2 and it took 2 mins a side. Got them from Suncoast
yes lucky you... early 991.1 can’t do it that quick - the mounting screw is hidden.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:43 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

dont the blackmill ones just stick on w/ double sided tape?
Old 05-24-2020, 12:50 AM
911CSC
Pro

Received 358 Likes on 186 Posts

WOW, sad for all the 991.1 guys that have to go thru all that
Old 05-26-2020, 12:14 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Still a bit befuddled as to why the clever fellows at Weissach and Zuffenhausen haven't fixed this("boom stopper aero") yet.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:55 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Yep, that why as much as I like the Carbon Fiber ones's I wouldn't purchase these nor even get them for free as the trouble to install such part is more troublesome than the benefit I get from it.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:31 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I had installed these on my 981. I can't say it really made that much of a difference. I still have them and eventually might throw them on my 991.2 but not sure it is worth it.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:53 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank goodness for this thread
i I didn’t pull the door panel but per above I just loosened two screws and it was super easy

install took 5 mins per side

and these absolutely work on my Cab with top up and windows down - no buffering at all

Quick Reply: Installing AWE foils *without* pulling door panels, and new door stays