Sponsored by:

2018 991.2 Coolant Leak Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 06:29 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2018 991.2 Coolant Leak Issue

I started noticing a coolant smell from my 911 when I put it in the garage after a drive. I kept an eye on the coolant level and as it was on the min side in the filler neck (no alarms or overheating) I dropped by the dealer, Porsche Centre Kelowna, to buy a litre of coolant to have on hand. The service manager asked if I wanted them to check it and add if necessary. I said sure - they wheeled the car into the service bay and about 1/2 an hour later they said I was good to go. This was in November of last year. About a week later I checked it when it was cold and the filler showed at the Min level. I sourced some coolant at a local auto parts store that met the Porsche/VW spec and topped off the system. It took 700 ml to bring it to the Max side of the indicator. I kept an eye on it during the winter - I live in Canada and have winter tires for the car - and every time I checked it (always cold) it showed s different level. Sometimes at the max side, sometimes at the min side and sometimes in the middle. Then the COVID thing hit and I didn’t use it very much.

The car was coming up for its annual oil change (message showing up on the dash) - the car is CPO and warrantied until 2022 - so I made an appointment. I told them about the coolant smell issue and the level issues. It went in earlier this week and they called me to say they’d have to keep it a bit longer due to the coolant issue. Then they called to say they’d found the problem and had to order parts. Meanwhile, I was driving the loaner, a 2020 Carrera 4S which was awesome! The service manager called to tell me that the problem was in the coolant pump and a vacuum valve block. Somehow coolant was migrating into the vacuum system and they had to determine how far it had gone.
So, I just got the car back and the paperwork indicated they had to change the coolant pump (PN 0PB121005C), valve block (PN - 9A790628300) and some of the vacuum lines (plus some miscellaneous gaskets, etc.) that I guess had become contaminated. Service order indicated that they had to lower the engine to do the repair and also referenced TI 1950 which I assume is a Porsche technical info bulletin. When talking to the service manager he told me he’d seen a couple of 991.2s with a similar issue. They told me to keep an eye on the coolant level, as even with the vacuum filler they sometimes cant get all the air out of the system.

Thats about it - just thought I’d pass this on for info and will update if there are other issues.

Cheers, Scott

Old 06-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

Holy crap. That’s a lot going on. It’s a great idea to check the coolant level. It’s easy to do. I believe the manual says that coolant temp per mfd needs to be less than 140F.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:42 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Appreciate the time taken for the write-up. But if you search the forum you will find out that its been a known issue from 2017-2018 and some 2019 cars. All 991.2 owners need to keep an eye on it. Some have had multiple water pump replacements.
many threads on the forum on it
The following users liked this post:
cbredesen (07-12-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 07:21 PM
sou98
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottiemac
I started noticing a coolant smell from my 911 when I put it in the garage after a drive. I kept an eye on the coolant level and as it was on the min side in the filler neck (no alarms or overheating) I dropped by the dealer, Porsche Centre Kelowna, to buy a litre of coolant to have on hand. The service manager asked if I wanted them to check it and add if necessary. I said sure - they wheeled the car into the service bay and about 1/2 an hour later they said I was good to go. This was in November of last year. About a week later I checked it when it was cold and the filler showed at the Min level. I sourced some coolant at a local auto parts store that met the Porsche/VW spec and topped off the system. It took 700 ml to bring it to the Max side of the indicator. I kept an eye on it during the winter - I live in Canada and have winter tires for the car - and every time I checked it (always cold) it showed s different level. Sometimes at the max side, sometimes at the min side and sometimes in the middle. Then the COVID thing hit and I didn’t use it very much.

The car was coming up for its annual oil change (message showing up on the dash) - the car is CPO and warrantied until 2022 - so I made an appointment. I told them about the coolant smell issue and the level issues. It went in earlier this week and they called me to say they’d have to keep it a bit longer due to the coolant issue. Then they called to say they’d found the problem and had to order parts. Meanwhile, I was driving the loaner, a 2020 Carrera 4S which was awesome! The service manager called to tell me that the problem was in the coolant pump and a vacuum valve block. Somehow coolant was migrating into the vacuum system and they had to determine how far it had gone.
So, I just got the car back and the paperwork indicated they had to change the coolant pump (PN 0PB121005C), valve block (PN - 9A790628300) and some of the vacuum lines (plus some miscellaneous gaskets, etc.) that I guess had become contaminated. Service order indicated that they had to lower the engine to do the repair and also referenced TI 1950 which I assume is a Porsche technical info bulletin. When talking to the service manager he told me he’d seen a couple of 991.2s with a similar issue. They told me to keep an eye on the coolant level, as even with the vacuum filler they sometimes cant get all the air out of the system.

Thats about it - just thought I’d pass this on for info and will update if there are other issues.

Cheers, Scott
lol

Same problem as of last week. The first time they replaced coolant tank due to hairline crack but same thing happened again few days later Luckily the technician test drive the car and smoke coming out of the driver rear side Been told TI 1950 are well know among “991.1 and 991.2 Porsche owner (technical information 1950 )

Quick Reply: 2018 991.2 Coolant Leak Issue