Sponsored by:

Power Steering Plus question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:02 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Power Steering Plus question

I feel my Carrera T's steering quite a bit heavier than those of my GT3 and GT3 RS and since I thought the Power Steering Plus option was just to make the steering lighter during slow speed parking manuvers so I didn't tick that check box. Can someone who have driven or own cars with and w/o this option chime in on what the real difference is? And isn't this option just a software flash and can be added at the dealership?
Old 06-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Yes software only.

I have heard of people getting rid of PSP.

I am sure adding it is possible.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:08 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by bli8
I feel my Carrera T's steering quite a bit heavier than those of my GT3 and GT3 RS and since I thought the Power Steering Plus option was just to make the steering lighter during slow speed parking manuvers so I didn't tick that check box. Can someone who have driven or own cars with and w/o this option chime in on what the real difference is? And isn't this option just a software flash and can be added at the dealership?
Correct, talk to your dealer. Some have reported being charged ~$200 to enable it. I drove one with it and did not order it since it felt too artificial; however, for a little money it may be helpful to you. It has not affect at higher speeds, just very low one such as when parking so once moving along you will not notice it.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM
vaiddyesa
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am definitely in the minority (I think) as being someone who really likes PSP vs not (I also like RAS vs not - so another minority opinion, fwiw)... My T was delivered w/o PSP (dealer spec’d), but in driving a T w/ PSP at PECLA, I could feel a difference. So I ordered it & had it installed after about a month of driving w/o it.

Unlike many, I ddo feel the steering is lighter & more precise. As I am far from the world’s best driver (despite what my ego tells me...), I also polled about a dozen PECLA instructors on what options they would add vs not (as well as which 991.2 they liked) which helped me make my decision on which options to look for vs not. They obviously have worlds more experience than me - not that they are the final arbiter of how anyone should option their car.

But hey, it’s your car & you do what you like! I have heard of it being removed, so if you’d like to try it w/ PSP & then decide later it’s not for you, it sounds like one can have it removed - and the low cost doesn’t make it prohibitive to try, if you decide to go that route. Honestly, I don’t think there’s a wrong answer. Have fun!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:25 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 169 Posts

It is basically a box check in software from what I understand.

Compared to older Porsches with hydraulic power steering, all of the newer cars are just light and mushy for steering. The .2 cars got better for sure.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:39 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by vaiddyesa
I am definitely in the minority (I think) as being someone who really likes PSP vs not (I also like RAS vs not - so another minority opinion, fwiw)... My T was delivered w/o PSP (dealer spec’d), but in driving a T w/ PSP at PECLA, I could feel a difference. So I ordered it & had it installed after about a month of driving w/o it.

Unlike many, I ddo feel the steering is lighter & more precise. As I am far from the world’s best driver (despite what my ego tells me...), I also polled about a dozen PECLA instructors on what options they would add vs not (as well as which 991.2 they liked) which helped me make my decision on which options to look for vs not. They obviously have worlds more experience than me - not that they are the final arbiter of how anyone should option their car.

But hey, it’s your car & you do what you like! I have heard of it being removed, so if you’d like to try it w/ PSP & then decide later it’s not for you, it sounds like one can have it removed - and the low cost doesn’t make it prohibitive to try, if you decide to go that route. Honestly, I don’t think there’s a wrong answer. Have fun!
I like PSP (and RAS) for the same reasons you have mentioned. I bought my first two 991's used and they both had PSP. For my third 991, I ordered PSP.

It only affects the car at parking lot speeds. I autocross my car and the steering feel is fine.
The following users liked this post:
vaiddyesa (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:39 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 317 Posts

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSP.html
Old 07-01-2020, 06:19 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Be glad you don't have it. It's Lexus like.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:05 PM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

I also own or have owned 3 other 991.2 GT cars and they all have much better steering feel than my T, so lighter steering don't equal to less feel and that's why I wonder if the PSP would bring my T closer to the GT cars' steering effort, if not feel.

So does the PSP only work at parking lot speeds?
Old 07-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bli8
I also own or have owned 3 other 991.2 GT cars and they all have much better steering feel than my T, so lighter steering don't equal to less feel and that's why I wonder if the PSP would bring my T closer to the GT cars' steering effort, if not feel.

So does the PSP only work at parking lot speeds?
Yes, below 10 mph only.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:04 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 991.1 with the PSP option, it helps me as I do need to do a lot of parallel parking.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:10 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 139 Posts

Gotta be an easy software deal because it shows as an option on my car - however it is emphatically not present. I checked with other owners and a friendly service advisor. If it’s easily removed it must be easily added also via software..
Old 08-14-2021, 12:17 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Gotta be an easy software deal because it shows as an option on my car - however it is emphatically not present. I checked with other owners and a friendly service advisor. If it’s easily removed it must be easily added also via software..
Correct, you can purchase it from your dealer, and I believe from Suncoast: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...-suncoast.html
Old 08-14-2021, 11:47 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 603 Posts

All 991s benefit from quicker response & increased precision over their 997 predecessors with HPAS (consider the 991's increased front track and wider front tires…), which is something EPAS critics rarely acknowledge—but "steering feel" was a complaint from the start. "Feel" was definitely improved in the 991.2 Carrera and 991.2 Turbo models. The difference you sense in your GT3s was what set them apart from the first 991 GT3 on, and is the result of a lot of things: differing components and geometries, tires and alignment settings, systems and calibrations etc etc, with all of it set up by some of the most experienced people in Weissach…who also benefitted from a more clearly defined customer and mission. What's going on in the back of your GT3s has a big affect on what's going on at the front end—and thus what you feel through the steering wheel.

IIRC, the optional PSP for the 991.1 had an affect at speeds beyond parking lot speeds (but below 50~ kmh). I remember trying 991.1 Carreras with and without PSP back then, and preferring without—but others felt the opposite way. Probably why the engineers in Weissach decided to offer it as an option. I've seen less info on PSP in 991.2 models, but I suspect there's an info book somewhere with more. Whatever the case, it's cheap enough to add PSP and subtract it if you don't like it. But PSP was originally mentioned by engineers as something that helped while parking, etc, making the car easy to drive. That pitch probably led to perceptions found in early media reports that the system was for people looking for a luxury car rather than a sports car. My guess is a strong preference for the PSP tune among some engineers or executives led to the option. I'd be very interested to read your thoughts after enabling PSP in your car, particularly with the other 991s in your garage.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:38 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

If PSP doesn't make a difference above parking lot speeds, doesn't that mean these people who are hating on it are effectively saying "I hate being able to park my car easily!" ?

Quick Reply: Power Steering Plus question