Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage ramp recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 06:46 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Another Rhino ramp user here for oil changes. Been using them on all my 911's with zero issues. My only caveat is one time I tried using them on an epoxy floor and experienced "ramp flinging" (there is a thread on RL about that....). Now I just place them behind the car, on the driveway, with the front edge of the ramp butted up against the edge of the garage floor. Yes the car is blocking the garage door while I change the oil but never has been an issue.

I do see Quick Jacks in my future as I do need to get all four corners, sans wheels, up in the air for brake flushes, pad changes, and wheel changes (DE stuff). Not ready to go for the two or four post lift (yet).
Old 09-19-2022, 09:45 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 454 Posts

Rhinos work for me but have to put them on the gravel instead of on the concrete..they will slip
Old 03-25-2024, 08:48 AM
irontmp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
You have to find out what you're going to be doing. Starting with the factory proved jack at free when you got your car > Quick Jacks in the middle of cost and convenience > installed 2 post lift or 4 post with air jacks.

If it's just oil changes then a standard jack will do. I actually wouldn't recommend race ramps by themselves because you want the car level. You can just up the front to match the ramps. Quickjacks are the goldilocks happy medium because they can also allow for working in the wheel well Modular Ramps. They are incredibly well engineered and sturdy. They are prolific enough that more than likely there are some in your local PCA used on a regular basis and I really recommend going to check them out. There are more robust solutions that compete with quickjacks but nothing as all around and easily moved around. If want something [semi]permanent then for more money you can obviously by something beefier. Just like anything - incrementally is a slippery slop and for just a little more, eventually you are looking at 10K single post solutions that are pretty trick.
Looking to purchase a friend a gift (vehicle ramps), they have begun doing their own oil changes, to assist them in their efforts I'd like to buy good quality safe vehicle ramps.

Budget is 200 dollars.

While researching and reading reviews I've come to learn many ramps crack, slide, and or fold. If you all could give me suggestions based on your actual use of your ramps I'd greatly appreciate it.

I would also be open to making some out of wood but don't know what the best wood type, and dimensions would be.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:57 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by irontmp
Looking to purchase a friend a gift (vehicle ramps), they have begun doing their own oil changes, to assist them in their efforts I'd like to buy good quality safe vehicle ramps.

Budget is 200 dollars.
What kind of vehicle?

If I was doing ramps again I'd look into race ramps or even summit racing. They have a few sets for under $200.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:13 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 341 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
What kind of vehicle?

If I was doing ramps again I'd look into race ramps or even summit racing. They have a few sets for under $200.
I have a set of Race Ramps that work well, but they will slide. I noticed that they will move 'sometimes' on the epoxy floor of the garage. This was not an issue when I had a regular concrete floor finish.

The approach angle is always the issue, but they do have a set of Race Ramps that is meant for cars with a low approach angle.

A set of Race Ramps or a home made set of ramps have the benefit of the tire sitting flat. This is an issue with a tire that is wider than the groove (of a steel ramp), such as you would find in a sports car or truck tire (something wide). The wider the ramp the easier to line up and get on to the ramp safely, and avoid the nightmare scenario of driving off the side of the ramp.

If making a ramp out of wood, i would use planks that are 12 inches wide, but they will be heavy. Just make sure to add a handle to make moving them around easier. A wooden ramp made of planks (stacked and staggered) will have the benefit of never being able to collapse.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:50 PM
mdfud
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used Rhino Ramps for years with everything from 911 to full size Range Rover with no problem/failure. They have occasionally slid on the epoxied garage floor but to limit that I put rubber floor mats under the tall end of the ramp. When I need to get the 911 (991.2 4S) higher, e.g., for tire changes, detailing, I use jack stands and 'Car Fanatics' 'How to jack up a 911' from YouTube. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2024, 05:38 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 454 Posts

i use rhino ramps but my driveway is gravel so no slipping.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:52 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Rhino ramps in previous garage was not an issue. Haven’t tried them on the Swisstrax floor since I have Quick Jacks now.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Regular ramps that I place under my back wheels in my sloped driveway which places the vehicle level.

For anything else, I use my MaxJax 2-post lift.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:18 AM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 192 Posts

Rhino ramps for oil, air filters and other basic maintenance. Jack stands as a back-up always advisable

Quick Reply: Garage ramp recommendation