Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: If you had PDK failure requiring PDK replacement, what year was your 991?
30.00%
35.00%
10.00%
15.00%
5.00%
0%
0%
5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

PDK Failure: ? MY

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 08:08 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts
Default PDK Failure: ? MY

There have been quite a few PDK failure posts. I have scanned them. Others have chimed in within those threads.

For those that have had PDK failures, covered under warranty, or not or still in the dispute process, what year was your car? Include mileage.

This thread could be of help in the future so having verifiable failures could be helpful. If yours neighbor’s dead Bigfoot brother had a failure, we can omit that from this list. Thank you.

Last edited by Jack F; 12-04-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:14 PM
cclcal
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

you forgot the "none yet" option.

you should somehow include mileage as well
Old 12-04-2020, 08:19 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cclcal
you forgot the "none yet" option.

you should somehow include mileage as well
if you haven’t had a failure, you would vote none yet? If you post today in the none yet category and then have a failure, you can’t vote again. This is a PDK failure only thread. Clearly there are few failures relative to total number of PDK cars. Consolidating data for failures in one thread could helpful for those having issues. If those that had failure posted below in the actual thread then a paper trail will be created and some can be reached for further info/help.

Last edited by Jack F; 12-04-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:58 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
if you haven’t had a failure, you would vote none yet? If you post today in the none yet category and then have a failure, you can’t vote again. This is a PDK failure only thread. Clearly there are few failures relative to total number of PDK cars. Consolidating data for failures in one thread could helpful for those having issues. If those that had failure posted below in the actual thread then a paper trail will be created and some can be reached for further info/help.
yeah, but I fear that people are going to use the results of this thread in two months, pointing wildly at it and saying that the failure rates are absolutely insane because there were 70 failures. Contrasted to the thousand or so votes for "no failure" it adds much-needed perspective.
The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (12-06-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
yeah, but I fear that people are going to use the results of this thread in two months, pointing wildly at it and saying that the failure rates are absolutely insane because there were 70 failures. Contrasted to the thousand or so votes for "no failure" it adds much-needed perspective.
Maybe someone has the number of 991.1 and 991.2 produced?
Old 12-04-2020, 10:36 PM
Chupacabra
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had my PDK replaced... twice,
I will hunt down the mileage for you.
The first time, it was in for an oil change I believe and the dealer noticed a leak from the tranny and got permission to replace it.
Second time, it was at about 43k and was slipping in 1st gear when the car was not fully warmed or if it was inclined/declined. That was when I opened a Lemon Law option on PCNA.
I haven't had a problem since then. At least nothing that is not easily repeatable.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:40 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Maybe someone has the number of 991.1 and 991.2 produced?
ehhh I think I initially missed the point of the thread if I'm honest. the statistics guy in me just goes through the downward spiral of a loud minority (see: 500k comcast customers hating comcast, 22+ million comcast customers being totally fine and silent) and oh god help I'm losing my hair already.

never mind me, just crazy asellus over here.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:04 AM
CJ0311
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I’d rather see a poll of how many PDK failures happened to cars with the sports chrono package.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,235 Likes on 782 Posts

233,000 991.1 + 991.2 produced 2012 to 2019.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:09 AM
PP13
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Default PDK Concern 2013 991

Good day everyone
This is my 1st 911 purchase (2013 C4, 16kmiles)from the dealer, I did research diligently before pulling the trigger, I had no idea there was a alarm regarding the PDK performance issue's. As I read more and more on here about people having issue's it worries me specially with low miles on the vehicle. I do have a CPO until May 2022, but still doesn't make me feel at ease. there were a few threads that had indicated that there were some PDK trans. that were built in Japan, I looked at my window that was saved by the previous owner, but it doesn't show the country of origin, Just shows PDK package, so I ma not sure if mine was built in Germany or Japan. Also, it seems like it's more focused on the the earlier years 2013 time frame, as mine is. I read that most people recommend getting the Fidelity Platinum warranty as the cost of replacement is as much as $20k, since they don't service PDK's from what I've read. I love my 911, but man this just kills the excitement of having to drive a vehicle that can potentially have a catastrophic failure.

I remember back in 1993 I bought my 1st convertible Chrysler, brand new came with 7yrs, 70Kmile warranty. I know Chrysler is notorious for Trans. issue's but I figure it's the only convertible at the time I could effort and it was brand new.
well, car ran well until i got to 72K mile, the trans went driving home from work. Had it towed to the dealer where I had service done, while they were diagnosing the problem I was outside waiting for the findings, one of the mechanics recognized me and came out to give me a heads up and told that this is an on going problem and he has seen many vehicles dropped off there for trans. issues. He told me to aske them to contact the main headquarters of Chrysler and demand and explanation on my concern, sure in enough the service manger called me into his office and told me that the trans. needs to be replaced and it's going to be like $4k cost. So, I did what the mechanic advise me and he was right on, the service manager made the call, then he put me on the phone with the headquarters, sure enough they agreed to pay for the trans, I just had to pickup the labor charges which came down to $750.
sold the car right after the repair.
The point of my story is it doesn't matter if you drive a Porsche or a Ford and whatever, it comes down to MONEY. They don't want to put this out as a recall, since it's not a safety issue which can amplify to a lawsuit, so they hope for the best that most of these PDK issue's won't raise an alarm as time goes on, and hope they can get US, the consumers to pay for their poor engineering design. As many have posted their opinion, Porsche should step up and take these vehicles and repair them at no cost to the consumers. It will hurt their business in the long run, if they don't do the right thing.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
ehhh I think I initially missed the point of the thread if I'm honest. the statistics guy in me just goes through the downward spiral of a loud minority (see: 500k comcast customers hating comcast, 22+ million comcast customers being totally fine and silent) and oh god help I'm losing my hair already.

never mind me, just crazy asellus over here.

Seems on par with "How many licks to the center of a Tootsie Pop?"

One, two, three. Crunch!

Three!
The following 4 users liked this post by Porschejam:
asellus (12-05-2020), Frank996 (12-06-2020), scr1244 (12-06-2020), the_buch (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 12:34 PM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by PP13
Good day everyone
This is my 1st 911 purchase (2013 C4, 16kmiles)from the dealer, I did research diligently before pulling the trigger, I had no idea there was a alarm regarding the PDK performance issue's. As I read more and more on here about people having issue's it worries me specially with low miles on the vehicle. I do have a CPO until May 2022, but still doesn't make me feel at ease. there were a few threads that had indicated that there were some PDK trans. that were built in Japan, I looked at my window that was saved by the previous owner, but it doesn't show the country of origin, Just shows PDK package, so I ma not sure if mine was built in Germany or Japan. Also, it seems like it's more focused on the the earlier years 2013 time frame, as mine is. I read that most people recommend getting the Fidelity Platinum warranty as the cost of replacement is as much as $20k, since they don't service PDK's from what I've read. I love my 911, but man this just kills the excitement of having to drive a vehicle that can potentially have a catastrophic failure.

I remember back in 1993 I bought my 1st convertible Chrysler, brand new came with 7yrs, 70Kmile warranty. I know Chrysler is notorious for Trans. issue's but I figure it's the only convertible at the time I could effort and it was brand new.
well, car ran well until i got to 72K mile, the trans went driving home from work. Had it towed to the dealer where I had service done, while they were diagnosing the problem I was outside waiting for the findings, one of the mechanics recognized me and came out to give me a heads up and told that this is an on going problem and he has seen many vehicles dropped off there for trans. issues. He told me to aske them to contact the main headquarters of Chrysler and demand and explanation on my concern, sure in enough the service manger called me into his office and told me that the trans. needs to be replaced and it's going to be like $4k cost. So, I did what the mechanic advise me and he was right on, the service manager made the call, then he put me on the phone with the headquarters, sure enough they agreed to pay for the trans, I just had to pickup the labor charges which came down to $750.
sold the car right after the repair.
The point of my story is it doesn't matter if you drive a Porsche or a Ford and whatever, it comes down to MONEY. They don't want to put this out as a recall, since it's not a safety issue which can amplify to a lawsuit, so they hope for the best that most of these PDK issue's won't raise an alarm as time goes on, and hope they can get US, the consumers to pay for their poor engineering design. As many have posted their opinion, Porsche should step up and take these vehicles and repair them at no cost to the consumers. It will hurt their business in the long run, if they don't do the right thing.
You are making it seem as if there is a systemic and widespread PDK failure rate. I don't believe there is. You have to realize how many PDK vehicles there really are.

Like you said yourself, parts can fail in any car. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. I'm not sure I'd lose sleep over your gear box. You are already covered with CPO. If you still have the car at the end of that, just purchase an extended warranty through Fidelity near the end of that for peace of mind.
Just drive the car and enjoy.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:53 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
You are making it seem as if there is a systemic and widespread PDK failure rate. I don't believe there is. You have to realize how many PDK vehicles there really are.

Like you said yourself, parts can fail in any car. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw. I'm not sure I'd lose sleep over your gear box. You are already covered with CPO. If you still have the car at the end of that, just purchase an extended warranty through Fidelity near the end of that for peace of mind.
Just drive the car and enjoy.
I agree that it seems like a very very small number of PDK failures requiring replacement. Can anyone confirm if the 991.1 PDK and 991.2 are significantly different? If yes, what are the differences?
Old 12-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There have been quite a few PDK failure posts. I have scanned them. Others have chimed in within those threads.

For those that have had PDK failures, covered under warranty, or not or still in the dispute process, what year was your car? Include mileage.

This thread could be of help in the future so having verifiable failures could be helpful. If yours neighbor’s dead Bigfoot brother had a failure, we can omit that from this list. Thank you.
Where is the none option? knowing 10 cars failed without knowing the denominator is useless.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:24 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mojo.K
Where is the none option? knowing 10 cars failed without knowing the denominator is useless.
Fullyield provided this info.

233,000 991.1 + 991.2 produced 2012 to 2019.

The point of this thread is not to come up with some kind a ratio of failures. It is to document failures, model years and mileage. On this forum there have maybe been a handful I would guess.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure: ? MY