Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Google Earth discontinued for 2017-2018 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 04:33 PM
pron
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M.cz
I found quite interesting document regarding WMD1 Workshop Campaign on another post. It does not look like the end of story yet!
I hope...
Hi, I got this update some weeks ago, and the "new" Sat map are working. But I can't answer mobile phonecalls in my car after the update. My car is a 991.2 from 2017.
The calls show up in the PCM, but the button on the steeringwheel don't work. Same with the PCM screen. Calling out from the car works as before. I use a Samsung Galaxy phone, and I have deleted the phone from the PCM and added it again. But still the same problem. Has anyone else seen this problem after the PCM update?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:46 PM
h22hatch
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My ‘17 C2S was at the dealer for a week for the wmd1. Highly irritated as I made the appointment a month out. They went through the process and apparently after the first step the system told them the update wasn’t available. I thought, based on the memo, that the update was done via an SD card?
Old 07-23-2021, 11:06 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

As instructed by pcna the car was taken to North ATL Porsche (always a nde) and flashed with wmd1. I was told if it doesn't work that I would need a new radio or buy a new car. This person and all of maintenance seemed to be working at a criticality level.. The flash didn't work so I called pcna and was told I would receive a call back from the person who was working with me. My next communication was a cancellation of connect services by pcna. NO explanation. I'm working on a trade with that dealership now, my 911 for a cross turismo. BUT One must take pause on purchasing a full computer electric p car if Porsche can't even get a nav flash done. Maybe a good time to get out while this 911 bubble exist. If I had stayed iphone there would not have been an issue. That was not an option for me. Ok over to that android auto flash thread before I throw in the towel.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:16 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Up until last week our Google map feature was working fine. Early this week I took the car to my local Porsche dealer for a new battery. (Side note: they installed an Interstate.) My invoice says they also did the following at No Charge:
" PERFORM SERVICE CAMPAIGN#WMD1 MIB2High software update. CAUSE: CAMPAIGN WMD1 SCOPE 3. 76 GENERAL 974 WP 0.55
27589 CAMPAIGN WMD1 SCOPE3 0.55 PERFORM CAMPAIGN WMD1 SOFTWARE"

Not sure what this update included but this week when I took a short trip: NO GOOGLE MAPS. Fast forward to the past??
Old 11-22-2021, 09:51 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
Up until last week our Google map feature was working fine. Early this week I took the car to my local Porsche dealer for a new battery. (Side note: they installed an Interstate.) My invoice says they also did the following at No Charge:
" PERFORM SERVICE CAMPAIGN#WMD1 MIB2High software update. CAUSE: CAMPAIGN WMD1 SCOPE 3. 76 GENERAL 974 WP 0.55
27589 CAMPAIGN WMD1 SCOPE3 0.55 PERFORM CAMPAIGN WMD1 SOFTWARE"

Not sure what this update included but this week when I took a short trip: NO GOOGLE MAPS. Fast forward to the past??
I believe at least the first part of this update is the same as the one I got installed last spring. After working flawlessly for months, last week we had a slight glitch. Spouse said Satellite maps stopped working so brought up options list and had to hit the Satellite map button three times then finally it put up a temporary message banner that said Porsche Connect not active, select here (on the touch screen) to re-activate .. after doing that, everything sorted and been working flawlessly again ever since.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:15 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Mid December update: NO Google maps. Also, notwithstanding more than one query about the software update and perhaps a connection to losing Google Maps, my local dealer is silent. I won't mention the dealer, only the initials: Hoehn, as in Porsche of Carlsbad. They also haven't responded to my problem re the intermittent dash gauge lights on/off problem, not to mention the recall re our Macan S passenger seat sensor. Last time I stopped by the dealership, they had NO new cars in stock for sale. All of the cars on the floor were "sold," even the "pre-owned" ones. Sign of the times?? Might this not make one expect that existing customers should or might get better, if not first-class, treatment??
Old 12-17-2021, 12:43 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Just got the following email from Vodafone. Looks like we will lose more than just Google maps, at least until the new app is up and running.Dear Customer,

On behalf of Porsche, we are delighted to inform you that a new app is currently being developed that will soon be available in the App Store and in the Google Play Store.

The new app will combine the services of several already existing Porsche apps, including the Porsche Car Connect app.

This ensures a ‘one of a kind’ user experience and a maximum of connectivity between you and your vehicle.

We will soon give you more information about it but, please, note that the current Porsche Car Connect app will shortly be removed from the stores, therefore shortly unavailable for using.

If you have any specific questions regarding the new app, please email your local Porsche Customer Service at customersupport@porsche.com.

We are looking forward to contacting you with further details.

Kind regards,

Vodafone Automotive
Old 12-17-2021, 01:00 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

This an email that just arrived tonight. FYI, I renewed about a month ago and my credit card was charged for well over $400. Are others of you experiencing the same or similar?? Seems that all is not going smoothly within the Porsche empire.

Renewal of your Porsche Connect contract not possible
Dear Mr. Dunlap,

Unfortunately, the contract for your Porsche service Navigation & Infotainment Services could not be renewed.
Please use your Porsche ID and your password in the Porsche Connect Store to reactivate Porsche services.

Go to the Porsche Connect Store

Please contact Porsche Connect Support if you have any questions about your Porsche Connect contract or an order.

Your Porsche Team
Old 12-17-2021, 12:32 PM
Curvfun
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I received the same Vodafone email for my 2017 991.2. Hopefully this change may help all of us. I checked yesterday and my car still displays maps with a Google Earth view. I had the WMD1 campaign done a few months ago and Google Earth was back. Like others here, I have zero rattles and am not so keen on having the dash taken out of my car and possibly suffering through rattles that I've never had. I'll wait until I see some feedback from our other trail-blazing friends here...... 🙂
Old 12-22-2021, 11:27 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Porsche Connect is going thru a transition. Today I finally sorted something out: 1) the nav system subscription (which I renewed today for $155/year) and supposedly covers satellite maps w/updates, traffic monitoring, etc., is a stand-alone Porsche Connect service. FYI my renewal went thru, even though the Vodafone fellow on the line couldn't find me or my 911 in the system. I'm traveling tomorrow so won't be able to check if Google maps are back until late-January. 2) The Porsche Car Connect app on my phone is an entirely different subscription service that involves communication between the car and my phone. Maybe all of the rest of you already knew all of this, but at my end: slow learner in the driver's seat.
Old 12-23-2021, 12:11 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

In addition to all of the disconnect with the Porsche navigation and Porsche Car Connect systems .. I've also been notified by AT&T that they are abandoning their 3G network in order to bring 5G online .. and I believe that is what my hotspot in the 2017 Macan is running on .. and hardwired (chipped) for. So, there's a very strong chance my hotspot will die in February. This is why leasing new cars in future will certainly be the only way to guarantee digital progression as technology continues to outpace a cars economic life. Especially prescient to new EV's. Every 4 years .. turn it back in and pick up a new one with new digital and technological advances.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:10 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

So .. turns out this is actually a MEGA metadata control war being fought out in global corporate meeting rooms with Amazon, Google and Apple all at the table fighting for control of our data. And that is not an understatement:
Big Tech's Next Monopoly Game: Building the car of the future. https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...onopoly-525867
Unless a car manufacturer is willing to hand over their cars operating systems exclusively to one of these Tech giants for all future products, they will not ever be integrated. That's the situation today. I suspect this will play out in the courts over lawsuits for standardization, monopoly and anti-trust.

Last edited by JPP; 12-26-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:19 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Default Email just received from Vodafone

This email just arrived. I haven't done anything with it yet. Maybe Google Maps will come back?
Dear Customer,

We are delighted to present you the new My Porsche app, provided by Porsche.

Be the first to experience the new My Porsche app by downloading it from the App Store or from the Google Play Store:

For iPhone (iOS):
www.porsche.com/qr/my-porsche-ios-pcna

For Android:
www.porsche.com/qr/my-porsche-android-pcna

One app is all you need as it combines the most important functions of the following former apps:
• Porsche Car Connect App
• Porsche Connect App
• My Porsche App (former app)

In the upcoming months, more apps and services will be integrated to the My Porsche app. This ensures a ‘one of a kind’ user experience and a maximum connectivity between you and your vehicle.

You can easily log into the new My Porsche app by using your Porsche ID.

Please note that the Porsche Car Connect app is no more available in the stores, and will shortly be unusable.

If you have any specific questions regarding the new app or your Porsche ID, please email your local Porsche Customer Service at customersupport@porsche.com.

Kind regards,
Vodafone Automotive
Old 01-13-2022, 08:52 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Guy
This email just arrived. I haven't done anything with it yet. Maybe Google Maps will come back?
Dear Customer,

We are delighted to present you the new My Porsche app, provided by Porsche.

Be the first to experience the new My Porsche app by downloading it from the App Store or from the Google Play Store:

For iPhone (iOS):
www.porsche.com/qr/my-porsche-ios-pcna

For Android:
www.porsche.com/qr/my-porsche-android-pcna

One app is all you need as it combines the most important functions of the following former apps:
• Porsche Car Connect App
• Porsche Connect App
• My Porsche App (former app)

In the upcoming months, more apps and services will be integrated to the My Porsche app. This ensures a ‘one of a kind’ user experience and a maximum connectivity between you and your vehicle.

You can easily log into the new My Porsche app by using your Porsche ID.

Please note that the Porsche Car Connect app is no more available in the stores, and will shortly be unusable.

If you have any specific questions regarding the new app or your Porsche ID, please email your local Porsche Customer Service at customersupport@porsche.com.

Kind regards,
Vodafone Automotive
Yeah we got the same mail here in Europe, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for something revolutionary (or even evolutionary).
The app is a generic porsche App, mostly directed to non 911 models (i.e. electric and hybrids overloaded with electronics and I guess to a certain degree the 992 line up).

The PCM apps etc has nothing to do with the Vodafone App

Mail 1 of 2 received yesterday Jan 12th 2022

Discover the new My Porsche app.
All functions in one central touchpoint.

Dear Mr. Frank996,

to make it even easier for you to enter the digital world surrounding your sports car, we would like to introduce the new My Porsche App.
The My Porsche App combines the functions of existing apps in one central application:

The My Porsche App is the digital interface to your Porsche. Synchronise destinations, check the vehicle status and control certain vehicle functions, for example locking and unlocking or booking service appointments, simply by smartphone.
In the coming months, further apps and services will be integrated into the My Porsche app, such as the Porsche Charging Service for easy charging on the road. This ensures a unique user experience and maximum connectivity between you and your vehicle.
Discover the new My Porsche app now and download it from the App Store or Google Play Store. You can easily log in to the new My Porsche app with your existing Porsche ID.

If you have any further questions, please contact your Porsche Centre or Porsche Connect Support (daily from 7am to 9pm on
0800 554 359 from Switzerland, +41 31 520 98 99 from abroad, or by e-mail at smartmobility@ch.porsche.com).
Stay connected. With the road, and the world. We look forward to continuing to support you with Porsche Connect.

Your Porsche Smart Mobility Team

2nd mail received 12.JAN.2022

Sehr geehrter Kunde,

wir freuen uns, Ihnen die neue My Porsche App von Porsche präsentieren zu können.
Seien Sie der Erste, der die neue My Porsche App erleben darf, indem Sie sie aus dem App Store oder aus dem Google Play Store herunterladen:

For iPhone (iOS):
https://apps.apple.com/app/my-porsche/id1559529059

For Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...porsche.one&gl

Eine App ist alles, was Sie brauchen, denn sie vereint die wichtigsten Funktionen der folgenden früheren Apps:
- Porsche Car Connect App
- Porsche Connect App
- My Porsche App (ehemalige App)

In den kommenden Monaten werden weitere Apps und Funktionen in die My Porsche App integriert. Dies gewährleistet ein einzigartiges Benutzererlebnis und ein Höchstmaß an Konnektivität zwischen Ihnen und Ihrem Fahrzeug.
Mit Ihrer Porsche ID können Sie sich ganz einfach in der neuen My Porsche App anmelden.
Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Porsche Car Connect App nicht mehr in den Stores verfügbar ist und in Kürze unbrauchbar wird.

Wenn Sie spezielle Fragen zur neuen App haben / Porsche ID, wenden Sie sich bitte per E-Mail an Ihren lokalen Porsche-Kundendienst unter smartmobility@ch.porsche.com.

Sollten Sie ansonsten Unterstützung im Zusammenhang mit Ihren PCC-Diensten benötigen, zögern Sie nicht, Ihren lokalen Vodafone-Dienstleister per E-Mail unter info-ch.telematics@vodafone.com zu kontaktieren.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Vodafone Automotive

Basically, same as the English version
Old 04-15-2022, 01:47 AM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Our 2017 Carrera was at the dealer for almost a week while they tried to figure out why the dash pods lights don't work unless the switch is moved to parking or headlights (that is a different thread). The report on Google Maps, etc., was that for several thousand $$ the entire PCM could be changed so we could adopt 5G. Suggestion? Call Porsche to yell and complain, and we might get it for half price. As of now, not going to do anything. Others? What are/will you do about this "no Google maps" issue?? My phone app allows me to find my 911, flash the lights, check the gas level, etc., but beyond that, things are a bit simple...especially considering how much the apps cost. I'm being told to connect my Apple iPhone to the PCM and use it. ??

Quick Reply: Google Earth discontinued for 2017-2018 cars?