Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 911 Wave Dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 07:08 PM
Chillywon
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Damn..I thought I still had some game left in me driving my sons Jeep the other day. All kinds of wimmins were waving at me.

Honestly, I’ve never waved at another Porsche. I didn’t know it was a thing. My sport bikes- yes.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:15 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

Lol, No steel tonight

The following users liked this post:
911dude41 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 08:45 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

I always wave to other Porsches!
Old 04-12-2021, 10:53 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,163 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktails
Fair - I guess it's hot takes like that which make these threads entertaining, even if (especially if) we disagree vehemently with them.

However, I've been in this forum long enough to know that if we don't quickly return to the original topic about the wave, we will shortly be on to an NA vs Turbo discussion, and then a few posts after that someone is going to post pictures of their steel sports Rolexes

Speaking of the wave (or double flash) I say why not do it with Macans and Cayennes? It might cause mass confusion for all but the enthusiast owners (I count myself in that group) but hey, if you do it from behind they might move over for you.
Haha! Very true.

My "wave" is a thumbs up and a smile. I like Cayenne Turbos, so if the guy looks over I'll give him a thumbs up.. Those GTS V8 Cayennes sound beastly (old and new), those guys for sure are enthusiasts.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Macan Turbo though.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:23 PM
Chillywon
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Haha! Very true.

My "wave" is a thumbs up and a smile. I like Cayenne Turbos, so if the guy looks over I'll give him a thumbs up.. Those GTS V8 Cayennes sound beastly (old and new), those guys for sure are enthusiasts.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Macan Turbo though.

So you will give me a thumbs up and a wave for your point buy when I overtake you in the sub 6 second Macan ?

And a 😊
SConn (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 12:08 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,163 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Chillywon

So you will give me a thumbs up and a wave for your point buy when I overtake you in the sub 6 second Macan ?

And a 😊
If that happened, for sure! Unlikely though in my big dick sub 2.6 second TTS. Is sub 6 seconds fast? That sounds like V6 Camry territory. Look out!
Old 04-13-2021, 07:27 PM
khiroshima
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I see the 911 wave alive and well, no matter what the vintage (996 included). It is more a matter of folks paying attention to their surroundings and not their thoughts, their phone or the car in front of them. I don't take offence if I don't get a wave back, but my knee-jerk would be just under 50% response rate. I also don't have an overt car (white), so if you are just going about your day, it might be easy to miss, that said, the wave back is always nice and appreciated-- Be safe out there, KH
Old 04-21-2021, 04:44 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

I make it a point to wave to all Porsches... even the non-sports car ones. We're all in the same family after all and it would seem unnecessarily elitist to not "wave down" when (as evidenced right here in this thread) so many people have multiple P cars.

It's always pretty comical to me when someone in a 2 door P car doesn't return the wave when I'm in my Macan. I usually get a return wave in the 911, but it's amazing how oblivious people seem to be at even noticing other cars on the road never mind noticing someone in a P car waving to them.

Macan drivers seem more likely to wave back than Cayenne drivers, but it's a low percentage for them too.

As to the Macan hatred: they may have the same chassis as a Q5, but the drivetrain, engine, and suspension are all completely different. I've driven Macans on the track and they are objectively *not* just spruced up Q5s (let alone Tiguans). I use mine all the time to tote my kids around, kayaks, bikes, four wheels/tires for my wife's Disco... I can't think of too many other cars that are as all around competent as what Porsche brought to market with these. All that said, of course I prefer my time in the 911. (and yes, others are entitled to their opinions... even when they're completely misguided!) ;-)

I guess my feeling is that, Porsche - even with the four door cars thrown in - is a very small manufacturer. I'm just happy to see that someone chose the brand regardless of which model they're driving. To that end, I also happily wave to people in rare/cool cars even when not from our brand.

The following 2 users liked this post by CT_Peter:
ducktails (04-21-2021), Keith Zemsky (04-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 12:40 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Nah, they just were probably texting lol.
I wave to pretty much any/all Porsche sports cars, so 911, Cayman, Boxster. If it's something cool like a Macan GTS or Cayenne Turbo S then I'll wave bc yeah, I'd have one of those if I could too!
Old 04-22-2021, 01:00 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

If you are in a Porsche sports car or any type of specialty or vintage car you get a wave.

If you are driving a commodity car for transportation like a Porsche SUV or sedan I am honestly not bothering. If it is a clean and sharp GTS or Turbo trim maybe.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:28 AM
Keith Zemsky
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
This is the way it works. This was explained to me by a boss of mine while riding with him on his yacht. I waived at a bigger yacht and got no response. He explained that you never waive down. SO

If you are in a gt3 and a c4s waives, you ignore them. If you are in a 918 and a gt3 driver waives you ignore. I drive a base so I waive at all and nobody responds. I accept my lowly estate.
this is a shame. I’d waive down. Nearly all reasons to be unfriendly to those being friendly stem from insecurity.

life’s too short. Wave up, down or sideways!
CT_Peter (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 10:21 AM
ducktails
Racer

Received 448 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
This is the way it works. This was explained to me by a boss of mine while riding with him on his yacht. I waived at a bigger yacht and got no response. He explained that you never waive down. SO If you are in a gt3 and a c4s waives, you ignore them. If you are in a 918 and a gt3 driver waives you ignore. I drive a base so I waive at all and nobody responds. I accept my lowly estate.
LOL, that's awful. It's a show of mutual appreciation not a bow or curtsy.

Overall I'm kind of surprised how much of a thing the Porsche wave/flash is here. On the backroads frequented by enthusiasts here on the West Coast, it's more common than not - and it doesn't matter if it's a Singer or some guy rocking his base 996. On track days and the like, folks with GT2RS's will come talk to you in earnest ... and not to humble brag about how much better their car is. I think I maybe encountered the 'caste system' attitude only once here, when I gave a 993 a wave from my lowly Cayman and I got nuthin' but a disdainful look back. I would have expected a 993 owner in the 2010's to be an enthusiast, but hey ho. It was in Seacliff.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:09 AM
rhody718
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely still alive. A beautiful 944 was next to me on the highway just last week and we gave each other a big wave and thumbs up

Last edited by rhody718; 04-23-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:12 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by rhody718
Definitely still alive. A beautiful 944 was next to me on the highway just last week and we gave each other a big wave and thumbs up
I saw a guy in a 944 on Monday night and I think he was probably confused as to why some dude with his kids in a Macan was so enthusiastically grinning and giving him the thumbs up. I *love* seeing 944s still out on the roads - and his looked pristine and sounded amazing.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:25 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
If you are in a Porsche sports car or any type of specialty or vintage car you get a wave.

If you are driving a commodity car for transportation like a Porsche SUV or sedan I am honestly not bothering. If it is a clean and sharp GTS or Turbo trim maybe.
I waved to a woman driving a Panamera and she looked at me like I was crazy.
I now reserve my waves for Porsche sports cars, and I'd say it's reciprocated about half the time. Twenty years ago it was over 3/4 of the time.

Quick Reply: Is the 911 Wave Dead