Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you fully enjoy your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 11:59 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I take this route with my daughter almost every weekend.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:21 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Drive it to the market. Drive it for work. Let it loose on the backroads with some friends (like the local PCA group). Flog it hard on the track, if you like to go fast and want to push yourself. I enjoy every drive I take with my car and when I go out to the garage, I smile when I see it.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:23 AM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
I love being active with our local Porsche Club of America (PCA) chapter. We have multiple great drives enjoying the back roads in our state (IA) and surrounding states with overnight and multi day drives. Also awesome social events with great same minded people. If you have not yet joined, do it NOW! Even if you’re not able to participate in all the activities, you will get a decent discount at the dealership for service and parts and a great monthly magazine. And the cost is peanuts! Join here: PCA .

I just joined my local chapter because of your post 😊
The following 2 users liked this post by SConn:
manifold danger (06-22-2021), shammerman (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:55 AM
myrr
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 153 Posts

Plus you get to enter the spring / fall raffles. I’m due to win a GT4 next month it’s gonna be great
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:21 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I take this route with my daughter almost every weekend.

That looks like a great road if there ar emotional too many cars.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:29 AM
Vinh Nguyen
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 93 Posts

Love the sport design front/rear

Did you add them on? or came factory like that

Originally Posted by Dgags
4 day round trip last week from Western Washington to Minneapolis. Split seat time with my wife’s 22 year old son before dropping him off. He just graduated college and curls for the USA. Final leg Thursday Butte to Issaquah was a spiritual experience. Spent 4 days trying to mash the gas pedal thru the firewall and she didn’t disappoint. The only deficiency I’ve found is that she loses a little steam pulling thru 6th… 👀 Trip total below.

Carnage.

Vantage. Just over 2 hours remaining.

She cleans up nice.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:31 AM
daveyator
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Me and the radar detector have been lucky so far. I think my speedometer must be inaccurate because it’s always above 90. I’m cognizant of others but I owe several lumbering drones apologies for umm possibly aggressive passes. PCA events are fun too.
Dgags (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 11:32 AM
ducktails
Racer

Received 448 Likes on 178 Posts

Great thread and strong suggestions!

To elaborate a bit I would definitely look into a beginner friendly track day with instruction as your first step. Organizations like 'Hooked on Driving' are very well-organized and safe, good coaches, and in the beginner group you are not going to be going all that fast.

What this will do for you is to give you a better appreciation for how high your car's limits are when it comes to cornering, braking etc. Then, even if you never do a track day again, you are going to be able appreciate those twisty country roads more. The most fun part of a 911 is not stoplight drags and what you can do in a straight line, it's what you do in the corners

PCA is also a good shout as they will organize group drives which will take you off the beaten track and you'll make some good friends as well. If the PCA crowd isn't your thing (in many regions it trends a bit older), there are usually lots of local groups organizing drives that can be found on Facebook or even the regional boards here on Rennlist.

Congrats on the car and enjoy. Post some pics!
Dgags (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 01:02 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

early morning coffee runs to a town several exits away is my thing.... I also drive around town in sport mode with the sport exhaust singing....
Old 06-21-2021, 01:12 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Had my 991.2 C2s for 5 years now. When I first got it I did a lot of crazy back roads driving which I loved. Over the years I do less of that and enjoy getting out on drives with my wife. I have thought about doing a track day but got that out of my system from doing years of track days on sport bikes. So these days I enjoy the car more as a very sport GT car.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:28 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

LOVE all the above! Like Maskman, years later I still find myself making regular trips to the garage, just to take a peak... and fall in love all over again.

The following 3 users liked this post by AvgPorschefile:
jesm (06-21-2021), SConn (06-21-2021), Vinh Nguyen (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 163 Posts

got my first 911 a year ago (13 C2S) so i'm still on the honeymoon. anytime i drive it is still a hoot. city traffic or suburban open roads...it really doesn't matter. if i'm driving it, i'm happy. like others, i still walk into the garage just to take a look and grin. good radar detector and paying attention allows me to wring it out regularly but to be honest, most of my driving is putzing around town (which is fine too)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:48 PM
captainslow21
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Like others, I drive mine every chance I get. My dog particularly loves sleeping on the bench made by folding down the rear seats. I take friends out, and let people drive my car if they can drive a manual to experience the fun. I've been able to share in other's first Porsche driving experience through my cars which really makes me happy. Also, I keep it at or around speed limits in neighborhoods and downtown areas. There are enough jackasses that will speed and be loud that give themselves and what they drive a bad name. Be better than that crowd.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:10 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 380 Likes on 196 Posts

Similar to others - drive it a lot in the summer, and when I can in the winter given road conditions and temperatures (Northeast winters can preclude driving on summer tires). I also do track days - as many as I can both comfortably afford and reasonably get to. The problem isn't so much the track day expense as the damage it does to your rotors, pads, tires, etc. I just had an AP racing BBK installed, and had them tell me how much life was left on the original (now removed) pads. Those pads had been installed maybe 5 weeks ago, and had seen 2 track days with a total of 9 x 20 minute sessions). The front pads were down to 7mm, and the rears down to 4mm, which means that they would not have lasted another track day. I get maybe 5-6 track days out of tires. I bleed the brakes after every 2-3 track days, with a complete brake fluid flush. Those consumables - rotors, pads, tires, brake fluid - tend to dwarf the cost of the track day itself.

Anyway, I digress - simply driving the car is fun. Using it as a grocery-getter definitely elicits some strange looks . I'm not super into the whole cars and coffee thing because in many cases it just seems to be a little bit of a d**k measuring contest, at least where I am. Cruising around back roads is pleasant, but to really get to the nice roads requires at least an hour of driving, so I don't do that part too much.
Dgags (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:30 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinh Nguyen
Love the sport design front/rear

Did you add them on? or came factory like that
It’s the factory Sport Design package. Added a set of 20” Sport Design wheels for the winter set. Just about my perfect build with Sport Techno’s, 18 way seats, leather interior, Bose, manual transmission.

Sport Design’s pictured.
zphase (06-22-2021)

Quick Reply: How do you fully enjoy your 911?