Sponsored by:

Porsche OEM Key Fob Cover - Plastic Quality vs Knock-offs

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 02:44 AM
spintype
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Porsche OEM Key Fob Cover - Plastic Quality vs Knock-offs

The OEM key fob covers are made in Germany with engineering plastics - PA6 with 30% glass fiber reinforcement. See pics below.

I'd like to see if what the OEM painted covers are made from if anyone has purchased them? Of course, the chinese $15 ones are honestly advertising them as made from "high quality" ABS plastic. There are different grades of ABS plastics but generally, PA6 or any polyaralymides are top notch in terms of wear and tear – and this is what Porsche is using in the black OEM keys that you get with the car. Now, the question is – does Porsche source their painted ones from China and mark them up? Or do they make them in Germany with PA66 nylon and then paint them with oem colors? Let's investigate and strip the clothes of the emperor, shall we?

Request: If you have bought painted key fob covers officially from Porsche, if you could check on the back of the cover if there is a PA66 GF30 symbol molded into the plastic.

Porsche OEM Key Fob cover (sorry it is beaten up but still fits perfectly)

PA66 GF30 mark on the back. Reads "Poly-Aralymide 6 Glass Fiber 30%" where 6 is the code for Nylon

Old 07-06-2021, 03:22 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

These pieces in brushed aluminium would be perfect. Would add some boldness to the key fob which it lags imho in its current version.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:20 AM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Seriously?
The following 2 users liked this post by 97supratt:
AdamSanta85 (07-06-2021), gatorfast (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:55 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Schorsch
These pieces in brushed aluminium would be perfect. Would add some boldness to the key fob which it lags imho in its current version.
You mean like this?

DaveGee
The following users liked this post:
Schorsch (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:23 PM
spintype
Advanced

I just think the whole key-shaped-like-a-911 is a gimmicky and tacky concept. Just make a block of metal with 4 buttons on it!
Elmiko (07-26-2022)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:29 PM
gatorfast
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 257 Posts

lol this is great. What is the concern here? In the case of key fobs, plastic is plastic. Just get the amazon/ebay knockoffs.
desmotesta (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:35 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,961 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
lol this is great. What is the concern here? In the case of key fobs, plastic is plastic. Just get the amazon/ebay knockoffs.
exactly THIS..jeeeesh
Old 07-06-2021, 12:49 PM
ashr43
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

This right here.

I bought some "lava orange" ones off amazon and they look pretty darn good. Not a perfect match if held up next to the paint, but really.. $11? Also picked up the replacement center trim (whole thing in Orange looked weird) ... beats spending hundreds.

Kelsey (09-01-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 01:10 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Amazon knock-off version is great. Did yellow for Alison's 718 base and then another set of yellow for her new Cayman T. Whether they come from Amazon or Porsche direct they still end up chipping the paint off. I prefer to spend $10 instead of $120.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:55 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,186 Posts

PA6 GF30 on OEM painted. Hope this helps... whatever it is you're trying to figure out.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:10 PM
spintype
Advanced

We expect more for a key fob cover that costs over $100 from Porsche :-) Thus the curiousity. And also wanted to find out if they're just reselling Chinese knock-offs or whether they're actually made in Germany. The entire key fob is made in Germany and looks like even the painted ones are high quality plastic.

I think I am going to spend $100 :-D
Old 07-06-2021, 08:12 PM
spintype
Advanced

Originally Posted by asellus
PA6 GF30 on OEM painted. Hope this helps... whatever it is you're trying to figure out.

Yup, thanks for confirming. So Porsche actually makes them from the same black high quality plastic and then actually paints them over unlike the Chinese knockoffs which are just injection molded with cheap ABS plastic (no painting process).
Old 07-07-2021, 03:42 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by spintype
I just think the whole key-shaped-like-a-911 is a gimmicky and tacky concept. Just make a block of metal with 4 buttons on it!
I actually wished it looked more like a 911. It sort of looks like a Panamera to me.
noahabel (09-01-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:13 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 479 Posts

I must have bought at least four of the Amazon knock-off $15 key fob covers over the past two years for my '17 C2. Each of them failed in exactly the same way: one or both of the two teeny retaining lugs that lock into the fob base insert broke and sheared off at the base. Each time this happens, that blade falls off, sometimes in my pocket, sometimes on my desk.

You could either say I have bad luck, or bad install technique, or both, because these are not enormously complex to put on. On the last one, I had high hopes. I carefully followed the install video(s), making sure to only put pressure on each blade. No dice; within a week of install (and it was firmly installed and secure) I found the blade coming off the fob.

I've since ordered one of those neoprene rubber slide-on gizmos to keep the blades on the fob. Plus it's red so I will tend to notice my keys better.

The idea of spending $15 vs. $100 is attractive, for sure. But so far, I've had a very poor experience with the cheap blades, and would not buy another. If I knew for a fact that I could get an OEM pair of key blades, that were made to OEM spec, I'd consider that, so I appreciate this thread, myself. I do stress this might be a "just me" problem, as many folks seem to manage to pop these on without a problem. Maybe I should get my grandkids to help.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:25 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,126 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
I must have bought at least four of the Amazon knock-off $15 key fob covers over the past two years for my '17 C2. Each of them failed in exactly the same way: one or both of the two teeny retaining lugs that lock into the fob base insert broke and sheared off at the base. Each time this happens, that blade falls off, sometimes in my pocket, sometimes on my desk.

You could either say I have bad luck, or bad install technique, or both, because these are not enormously complex to put on. On the last one, I had high hopes. I carefully followed the install video(s), making sure to only put pressure on each blade. No dice; within a week of install (and it was firmly installed and secure) I found the blade coming off the fob.

I've since ordered one of those neoprene rubber slide-on gizmos to keep the blades on the fob. Plus it's red so I will tend to notice my keys better.

The idea of spending $15 vs. $100 is attractive, for sure. But so far, I've had a very poor experience with the cheap blades, and would not buy another. If I knew for a fact that I could get an OEM pair of key blades, that were made to OEM spec, I'd consider that, so I appreciate this thread, myself. I do stress this might be a "just me" problem, as many folks seem to manage to pop these on without a problem. Maybe I should get my grandkids to help.

Too bad. Have purchased multiple knock offs and never has a problem with any of them failing. I guess i can see them failing if you drop the fob or toss them on you desk repeatedly.

Quick Reply: Porsche OEM Key Fob Cover - Plastic Quality vs Knock-offs